Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I posted four threads on this topic

Must you apply for a Carte De Sejour? Do I need one? (Multi-page thread 1 2)
Recent Experiences With Getting Long Stay Visas at San Francisco Embassy? (Multi-page Need help translating short French Fragment from Convention d'acceuil
Health Care For Me and Kids If Not Covered by PUMA (Multi-page thread 1 2)

I got some replies. Well the rules have changed quite a bit in the last 12 months so I thought I would share my experiences for others.

It took 4 trips to the consulate (and 2 cancelled visas) but I finally got the one I want.

Some points:

a) Proof of health insurance is NOT needed for this type of visa
b) There are two version of the scientfique talent:
i) Under 12 month stay R311-3 9° "PASSEPORT TALENT"
ii) 12 months and over L313-20 4° "PASSEPORT TALENT"

c) The requirements and procedures for i) and ii) are very different. i) requires just visiting the OFII. ii) requires visiting the Prefecture and is much more indepth (you need to provide translated copies of degrees, marriage certificates etc.) as its designed for someone staying a long time.

d) Most importantly the multi-entry visa associated with i) is valid for the entire length of the stay but with ii) its only valid for 3 months and your locked into France until after your carte de sejour is approved.

e) With both your spouse can work

f) The university and consulate still disagree if one needs to visit the OFII for i). The consulate says *no* the university says *yes*. We will see.

Happy to answer any questions and Good luck!

·
Administrator
53,184 Posts
Thanks for sharing your information with us. One small caveat might be that "your mileage may vary" depending on what departement you're located in, as the individual prefectures have been known to have their "own" interpretation of the rules.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for sharing your information with us. One small caveat might be that "your mileage may vary" depending on what departement you're located in, as the individual prefectures have been known to have their "own" interpretation of the rules.
Cheers,
Bev
This may be true for other visas, but its very standard for the scientifique talent visa as it comes with lots of benefits (i.e. your spouse and children can work). The consulates are doing a lot of the leg work for these visas to ensure uniformity.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.