Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having seen a lovely house that was a real home, with really high standards, in a peaceful area well away from tourist towns (Elche), I am now wondering whether we've been getting it wrong with our search. We've been trying to find somewhere within reach of the nicer coastal places like Javea, Moraira, Benissa Coast and Alicante. But, most properties are expensive, aimed at the short term holiday market, not built/designed as long term home, for real living with all that entails. Ie lots of storage, decent cooking facilities, year round living comfort etc. So I'm wondering, should we forget being in easy reach of such towns? There must be attractive non tourist towns within half an hour of the coast where we can find a real home? The sort of place local professionals like doctors, architects etc live?

The house I mentioned wasn't quite right for us. :-(

·
Registered
15,744 Posts
You spend far more time in your house than you spend on the beach. For me it's a no-brainer. I wouldn't want to live in a tourist town anyway, I like a place that's alive and kicking all year round.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
They probably all live in flats in the villages anyway.

The urb we lived in near Mutxamel was pretty much lived in all year and mainly Spanish but really it is not overly important anyway. Where we are now is a mix of everything but it really doesn't matter as what is important is what is in your own 4 walls.
Definitely in the actual suburbs of Alicante like Sant Joan, Sant Vicent and such are more maybe what you are talking about.

Legality is your biggest issue, we stopped looking south of Alicante all together because it was just a waste of time and petrol in the end.

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
You spend far more time in your house than you spend on the beach. For me it's a no-brainer. I wouldn't want to live in a tourist town anyway, I like a place that's alive and kicking all year round.
I quite agree. We never wanted to live in a tourist town and keep away from them as much as possible at this time of year, it's too hard to get around with people jostling for space. It's great here, just 5km inland, so quiet because so many people go off to the beach with their families and a lot of shops and businesses don't even open in the afternoons.

As well as not liking the crowds in summer, I don't care for the rather forlorn feeling that a lot of coastal resorts have in winter especially when the weather isn't so good.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It wasnt that we wanted the tourist stuff like certain beaches, it was purely that these were actually attractive towns that drew us in, not too built up, with useful facilities. I agree that our own 4 walls are important but we want to look out the windows at attractive views too. Not loads of concrete or just a concrete yard. So far we've found either nice houses or nice outside, not both together at an affordable price. :-( Most places we've seen that we like in the tourist areas cost over E2000 pcm whereas the huge house we looked at in Elche was the same standard for E1500. We shall look more at areas around there I think, but there must be pretty non tourist towns somewhere.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
... built/designed as long term home, for real living with all that entails. Ie lots of storage, decent cooking facilities, year round living comfort etc. So I'm wondering, should we forget being in easy reach of such towns?
To answer, an idea of your budget is needed?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts