Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone - I am currently living in UK and desperate to move to Oz - can anyone recommend a good mara agent - preferably in the uk - who wont rip me off - be honest with me and get me through the process as quickly as possible. Has anyone used one that they would readily recommend. I understand the only visa that is applicable to me is 457 - i understand that but then it all gets rather confusing as i need to find an employer who will sponsor me - how do i that in Bristol? i have looked at websites but its about spending more money. If anyone who was once in the same boat as me, and is now living in oz and was able to do that on a 457 visa - im 42 by the way. any genuine advice will be gratefully received - Im not getting any younger! ;)

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi Custard,

a migration agent is perhaps not the right person to help you find a job. Seek is the best place to get started, but it is generally hard to find a job in Australia from overseas. Most people I know came over on a work holiday visa (for <31years) or even a tourist visa and then found a 457 sponsor locally. If you have specialized skills you may be able to find a sponsor from overseas. There is quite a bit of paperwork involved for the company - for example, they have to describe in detail how they contribute to the training of Australian workers. Therefore most companies will only sponsor somebody if they cannot find a suitable employee locally.

The 457 visa also has some serious downsides. First of all it's only temporary and your employer has no obligation to sponsor you towards permanent residency. So you may have to return to the UK after a couple of years. If you want to switch jobs the new employer has to lodge a new nomination and if you lose your job you only have 90 days to apply for a new visa or leave the country. Read up on the 457 details in DIAC Booklet 9.

If you can find a sponsor, the 457 application is not too complicated and can be done by yourself. Plus, the company may even engage their own migration agent if they are really keen on getting you to join.

All the best,
Monika

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
There was a time when companies were actively recruiting people from overseas to work, particularly at the height of the mining boom when there was a severe labour shortage. Now that that has plateaued a bit, we're seeing less of that but there are still some possibilities for recruitment from overseas if you have very specific and in-demand skills (not sure what your occupation is since you didn't say). Often you'll see Australian job fairs in major cities - you may wish to attend one of those so you can speak to recruiters and migration agents to get a sense of whether or not you would be a good candidate for the roles on offer.

There's one such job fair coming up in London on the 26-27 October. Visit an Australia Expo for Australian migration and jobs info - Working In Events

1 - 3 of 3 Posts