Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All

Have a few random questions now we're ready to go!!

We have an o2 Dongle which is pay as you go wireless internet. Do you think we'd be able to get a sim card for it to use over in Australia?

Also, we have a DAB digital radio. Ive done some research on the internet and apparently Australia is on the version better, DAB2. Has anyone actually taken their radio out there and been able to use it? Its got FM so i think we'd be able to pick some stations up!

If we take our current mobiles, i have a blackberry and my OH wants to take an Iphone with us. Would we need to get them unlocked? and is this releatively easy to get done and cheap?

Thanks if you have any info on this!

xxx

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
HI LP

yes you have to get the phone unlocked. Cant comment on how expensive or cheap it would be to egt it done there but since you willb e new there, finding people who can do it for you wont be easy. Its best to get it done from your current location.

Cant comment on other questions, let someone else reply :).

cheers
anj

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hello All

Have a few random questions now we're ready to go!!

We have an o2 Dongle which is pay as you go wireless internet. Do you think we'd be able to get a sim card for it to use over in Australia?

Also, we have a DAB digital radio. Ive done some research on the internet and apparently Australia is on the version better, DAB2. Has anyone actually taken their radio out there and been able to use it? Its got FM so i think we'd be able to pick some stations up!

If we take our current mobiles, i have a blackberry and my OH wants to take an Iphone with us. Would we need to get them unlocked? and is this releatively easy to get done and cheap?

Thanks if you have any info on this!

xxx
1. If your Dongle supports 3G & 3.5G HSDPA, then you can buy a Data SIM from the Service provider (Internode). Dont know about other providers.

2. About the DAB radio....Australia will be adopting DAB+, not DAB. DAB+ uses the newer and more efficient AAC+ compression in contrast to DAB which uses the dated MPEG compression. As such, unless the radio clearly states that it is a DAB+ radio (with the plus [+] symbol), it's not going to work in Australia.

3. Like anj said, get your phones unlocked from UK it self as it will be more cheaper.

Regards
Satpal

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hiya, Definately get your phones unlocked as we have been unable to do it here. I bought the nokia 97 and i can't use it. If you want a contract you wont be able to use your phone unless its unlocked. Hope this helps......ellisa

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all of your fab replies. We will definitely get our mobiles unlocked over here then. We werent sure if getting them unlocked over here is the same as getting them unlocked over there.

I think we'll take the dongle with us and try and get hold of a card. I think we'll probably give the radio to a relative (along with quite alot of our belongings!!).

Thank again

LP x

1 - 5 of 5 Posts