Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My partner of two years and I planned to move to NZ on working holidays visas. Being Irish I wasn't worried about obtaining one. My girlfriend is Slovakian and wasn't one of the lucky 100 to get a WHV.

I am a qualified secondary school teacher and I have been in contact with an education agency. My subjects are in demand and obtaining a work visa shouldn't be difficult once I have my qualification recognised and I have registered with the teaching council of NZ. All this paper work should take about 3-4 months.

The next step would be to apply for a partner based temporary visa.

Here are my questions that i hope you can help me with.

1. Does my girlfriend have to sit an IELTS exam if so what score does she need?

2. Once I have obtained my work visa does it take long to process a partner based temporary visa? Or can she apply before I obtain one or apply during my application process.? I ask this because we plan on travelling during December this year as the school year starts in Feb.

Thank you in advanced,
Eoghan

·
Super Moderator
4,918 Posts
Hi,

1. There doesn't appear to be any reference to the level of English required by a person applying for a temporary work visa via the partnership route, so No.
2. No. Best thing to do is apply at the same time. Your visa will probably be an Essential Skills Work Visa based on a job offer. You'll need the job offer to get the visa. These generally don't take long to secure from as little as 1 week up to 4 weeks depending how ready you are with documents and medicals etc. Applying for the partnership based temporary work visa at the same time will ensure it is all considered together and so should all come through together.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers for that.

Im collecting all the documents needed and once my qualifications are recognised and i have registered with the teaching council I can begin applying for jobs

Eoghan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts