Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend was crossing a road in Dubai yesterday then a speeding car narrowly missed her. The driver honked at her, slowed down and gave her the middle finger as he was driving away. She's very upset at the incident and is thinking about reporting his plate number to the Dubai police. Do you think it's too late to do that? I told her to forget about the incident but she does't want to.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
My girlfriend was crossing a road in Dubai yesterday then a speeding car narrowly missed her. The driver honked at her, slowed down and gave her the middle finger as he was driving away. She's very upset at the incident and is thinking about reporting his plate number to the Dubai police. Do you think it's too late to do that? I told her to forget about the incident but she does't want to.

Heck, if I'd had a pound everytime someone gave me "the finger" when I lived in the UK I'd be rich (not always my fault either lol)! If I were her I'd laugh it off and forget about it.

Also, having seen a story in the UK papers recently, if you and she are living together and unmarried, she could get into worse trouble with the authorities??? (there was a girl in Dubai raped recently but got put into prison because she was co-habiting with her fiancé - summat like that)

Jo xxxx

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
Agree, should just shrug that one off.

·
Banned
598 Posts
Seriously? Grow up...

Reactions: Jynxgirl

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
I cant believe they have a bad drivers complaint dept...

Well... maybe I can!

·
Super Moderator
12,544 Posts
It seems to me that your girlfriend needs to grow a tougher skin if she is going to survive life in a foreign country. Being given the middle finger is about as mild as it gets.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My girlfriend is Arabic by the way that's why she found the incident overly offensive. Hopefully she'll get over it in a couple of days.

It seems to me that your girlfriend needs to grow a tougher skin if she is going to survive life in a foreign country. Being given the middle finger is about as mild as it gets.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Arabic or not it she has to toughen up. Arabic or not it would piss anyone off. Seriously though, she really does need to get over it and not let this or other things get to her. She`s wasting precious energy over this. Flying the bird is pretty common. I'm pretty sure I was flipped off today for a lane change that someone behind didn't like...whatever! Besides Karama is a ***** and knowing Dubai...well, we know how the roads are and the drivers are!:eek:

·
Registered
92 Posts
showing middle finger in other countries might be a common driving incident, but in here is treated as an offense. This is one of the first things I was told when moved here. Police takes it very seriously. Even days after it happened.

Although I wouldn't report it (cause I'm too chicken) but I understand why she is unhappy. This is a western thing that some drivers think they can bring here. But in middle east culture, it is as shameful as swearing at your mother and sister. Ignoring it means accepting it ....

Good luck deciding what to do.

·
Registered
22 Posts

such thing is not acceptable at all, I been into the same situation and I reported it to the police, and I met the "finger man" at the court!

If I were you, I would go to the nearest police station from the location where that happened, and report.

at least that driver when he will be called up by the police and investigated, he will never ever think to do such thing again.

Lets keep the country clean.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I don't think that "the bird" is a uniquely Western gesture Melody - I have been flipped off a couple of times during my time here, and the drivers were not Western.

Yes it is an offensive gesture (in all parts of the world but here in particular) but I would have to agree with the others who have said to just let it go - it hasn't done her any physical or lasting harm, and she is only upsetting herself by hanging onto the issue. She'll never see the guy again and chances are he's forgotten all about it by now.

As for reporting it to the police, do you really think that pursuing this kind of issue is the most productive use of their time?

·
Banned
598 Posts
such thing is not acceptable at all, I been into the same situation and I reported it to the police, and I met the "finger man" at the court!

If I were you, I would go to the nearest police station from the location where that happened, and report.

at least that driver when he will be called up by the police and investigated, he will never ever think to do such thing again.

Lets keep the country clean.
So you think its ok to put a person in jail or thrown from the country for pointing a silly finger? This person may have a family that they have to take care of and they depend on this person for food ect... Yes they are immature for pointing the finger but think about it in the long run. Have a little compasion Emirati.. sheesh!:rolleyes:

·
Banned
1,220 Posts
Report to the police without hesitation. We all love dubai cuz such incidents are single cases here and if there is a chance to bring them to ZERO even much better. I would definitely call the police but make sure she remembers the correct plate number otherwise there will be a big mess.

·
Banned
598 Posts
why ella???????????????//
Is i t really fun to try and ruin someones life over a simple thing????????
Tell me is it fun to you? is it a game? whats the point????

·
Banned
598 Posts
without hesitation......????
Why dont you go put some of that fire into something positive? Like go start a charity for down syndrome children, or donate you time to a local animal rescue facility! If everyone in the world would stop being childish and put some of that go getem attitude into positive things we would all live in a better place.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
LOL hahaha what a great thread..

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Lets keep the country clean...

1 - 20 of 112 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.