Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My husband moves out to Dubai next week, I'm hoping to follow on over the next few months. I have, however, come across a potential employment issue; I don't hold a degree.

What I do have is 15 years marketing expereince, a senior marketing post at a well-known Japanese corp, and two marketing diplomas that are usually taken at post-gradutate level. But no university degree...

I recognise that this might sound really odd to anybody under 40, but when I left school - back in the dark ages, you still could hope for a career without a university education. Honestly!!

I know that the job market in Dubai is very depressed at the moment, but I'd hate to be out of the running for any potential opportunites before I'd even started! :(

Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it, most reputable companies over here take experience over qualifications. Most job listings will state applicants must have a degree, etc, but it's worth applying anyway and hoping it's someone who understands the job that is on the other end and not yet another HR drone.

I work as a finance manager for a European oil service company and I don't have a degree and I'm not a qualified accountant. I've got job agencies phoning every other day with job opportunities they want to put my CV forward for.

Once you're in Dubai sponsored on your husband's visa, you should find it easy enough to find work I'd imagine. Especially in a field like marketing which largely involves needing skills that can't really be taught.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many thanks for your prompt replies, most reassuing!

My concern has come about because my husband had to have his degree attested for his work permit. When looking up how to go about this, I came across information stating that to hold a managerial postion in Dubai, you must have a degree.

I guess I will just have my professional qualifications attested and hope that satisfies the powers that be

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
That's a good idea. I did the same with the certificates I did have. No-one's ever asked to see them, but always best to be prepared.

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
Many thanks for your prompt replies, most reassuing!

My concern has come about because my husband had to have his degree attested for his work permit. When looking up how to go about this, I came across information stating that to hold a managerial postion in Dubai, you must have a degree.

I guess I will just have my professional qualifications attested and hope that satisfies the powers that be

As I said earlier, professional qualifications are also acceptable.

-

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.