Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone...

This is my first posting to the forum and I'm hoping that a few of you may be able to point me in the right direct with a couple of questions that I have.

My parents are looking at moving back to Oz in the next year or so and they are already both Australian citizens having lived there for 17+ years (but have been back in the UK since 1990). My father is 60 years old and is on a number of medications which are quite expensive. These medications are provided free of charge in the UK and I need to find out what the siutation is in Australia.

Anybody have any ideas as to who I should be speaking to about this?

Question number two is in relation to myself. I and my family are also seriously considering a move back in the next year or so (I am also an Australian citizen having grown up in Australia) and I am trying to find out the rules and associated costs of importing my car to Australia.

I am hoping to bring my Jaguar XK8 and am trying to find out what the costs will be, apart from the actual shipping itself. I was under the impression it is cheaper if you have owned the car for a certain period and continued to own it in Australia for a designated period.

Have been reading all sorts on here.....who needs television!!

Thanks in advance.....
Spencer

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Hi Spencer,

For your parents I would check with Medicare or Centrelink sites since that may provide help with prescriptions and pricing.

For importing your car check the 'PLEASE READ.....' sticky post since that is included in there. Although you've owned the car for a while you need to check what luxury car tax you will have to pay (if any), what you need to get it on the road (normal registration or historic registration if it's a classic) in the State where you will be living. If it's a classic it may need to be in original condition. we brought over a class 1971 Ford Mustang and had to jump through all sorts of hoops but South Australia is very particular about originality unless it impacts safety (we now have to get the safety belts changed :().

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that Karen. Have spoken to Medicare and they have comfirmed that everything is OK with my father's medication.

The areticle on the car was interesting but now need to find out if I have to actually put it back on the road or if I can still transport it if it's been on a SPRN declaration for the past 12 months.

Cheers
Spencer

1 - 3 of 3 Posts