Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank you very much, Bev, for your answers on a recent query about French taxes on pension income from the US. To make sure I understood you correctly: no tax on US Social Security except possibly an 8% contribution as cotisations. Private annuities will be taxed as well as the 8% cotisations contribution.
Here is the question: the tax on the private annuity, is that just regular income tax, or is there a special separate rate at which these are taxed? If so, what might that rate be (%-wise). If just regular income tax rate, can one just calculate this with a "calculateur de l'impot" that I found online?
Thank you again for your help. I am very grateful for any possible input.

·
Administrator
49,815 Posts
As far as I know, it's just "regular" income tax. Though there are some special rates for "assurance vie" types of instruments that have been held for a certain period of time. Not sure if/how "foreign" (to France) investments factor in there.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
would this special rate also be applied to annuities derived from a life insurance policy, and if so, what would the rate be?
Thank you so much for your efforts in answering

·
Administrator
49,815 Posts
Annuities from a life insurance policy sound a bit like "assurance vie." Here in France, there are lots and lots of variations in how you declare various assurance vie proceeds and how those are taxed. Depends on when the initial contract was opened, how long it has been in force and if you are receiving payments based on being retired or just withdrawing money to live on.

I normally check the tax book (i.e. the fiscal reference provided with the tax prep software we use) each year, as there are lots of possibilities. Plus, there is always the option of going in to talk with the local tax office people. Unlike the fearsome reputation that the IRS has, the tax office people here are generally pretty helpful when it comes to preparing your declarations. (Or even fixing errors they may have made when preparing your tax assessment!)
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 5 of 5 Posts