Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Depends upon where you live - we overlook water so it'll be left on while we are based upon experience.

Last place didnt overlook water so could be left off.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I am being naive, why does being by water make a difference?

I am leaving one of my units on timer (so coming on 3 times a day for about 2 hours a time) just to take the edge off the villa, we have a 'bubble' in our tiles in one room which was caused by over heating last summer (we weren't living here then).

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
If we go away for a month and turn everything completely off, our DEWA bill is still the same, so we just leave the AC on as it doesn't seem to cost us anything.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
If your building is "chiller free" meaning you don't pay separately for the AC, which is most apartments in Dubai, then leave it on. Keeps mould at bay.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
I am being naive, why does being by water make a difference
Higher humidity next to water.

With no outward pressure from the aircon system blowing cold air into the apartment, you have a cold building core where the corridor is, and a warm outside so the air moved in the opposite direction dragging the moist air slowly into the apartment.

If the apartment is empty it won;t make a lot of difference but soft furnishings like to absorb moisture and provide an ideal growth medium for the mould.

If your apartment is hermetically sealed then you'll be fine .....

·
Registered
880 Posts
How is that possible ?
There must be a scientific formula to prove this because it's been the same for us. I tried it two years back to back when we left for a month in the summer. No one used water, no extra usage of electricity, air con on 26 (normally on 21 or even less).

Bill was exactly the same! Not even the same as winter months - same as summer months - aka, the highest I pay in a year. Now I leave the aircon on 22 when I leave and don't see a difference in the bill so .....

·
Registered
209 Posts
Depends upon where you live - we overlook water so it'll be left on while we are based upon experience.

Last place didnt overlook water so could be left off.
During Dubai's summer the humidity is everywhere seriously high, not just next to water. When going on leave, keep the AC on at 25 or 26c to ensure it stays dry inside. Keep the bathroom and kitchen fan's off during leave; all they do is sucking in air with high humidity.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
So are these bills just average usage and not actual readings ?
When I had a water leak, the bill went through the roof (12,000 Dhs in 1 month. They said it was impossible that there was an error and they could find no evidence of any leak. Then the front garden caved in and flooded the street. Never did get a refund).

It seems when the usage is much higher, the bill is much higher, when the usage is much lower, the bill is not any lower.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks

Thanks all for your help. My apartment is chiller free, but phoned up DEWA and they told me that my electricity bill will go up if i leave the a/c on.........?

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Thanks all for your help. My apartment is chiller free, but phoned up DEWA and they told me that my electricity bill will go up if i leave the a/c on.........?
The cost of sorting out a mold issue and replacing destroyed goods would be higher than leaving the A/C on. Our last DEWA bill was around 40 DHS higher.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts