Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like many others, I have had my travel plans to the Philippines interrupted by COVID. When I learned of the new rule allowing foreign spouses to apply for a travel visa, I began to put my packet together. The longest part was waiting for my wife's notarized affidavit that she is currently in the Philippines and a notarized copy of her passport (proof of citizenship) to arrive.

Since I am in the northeast US, I followed the instructions on the New York City consulate website. I did notice that other consulates have small differences in requirements. I mailed the entire packet priority mail on Monday the 29th, got confirmation that it arrived on the 1st and my passport with approved visa was in the mail today. I applied for the 90 day single entry visa, since I will just extend at immigration when I am in country. This is the first time I have applied for a visa before travelling, I am impressed that it only took a week.

My packet consisted of my military current retired pay statement, a copy of my latest bank statement, notarized copy of my wife's passport, notarized copy of our marriage certificate, notarized copies of form 2A from the consulate website, visa photo, notarized affidavit that my wife is in the Philippines, my passport, payment, proposed flight itinerary (just a screenshot from cheaptickets) and a booking at an approved quarantine hotel (made from the list available on the Clark airport website, Manila and Cebu have their own lists.)

I do not plan on travelling until next month but will post updates on the entire flight/entry/testing and quarantine process when I get there.

Was not as easy as the automatic visa issued at the airport pre-covid but better than spending another winter in the frozen northeast US.

Good luck to anyone else going this route.

Alan

·
Registered
682 Posts
hey Alan,

Good luck. I am in a limbo also. I was coming back to the Philippines when this virus hit. I am on a tourist visa. I don't know when they will allow us to return. I lived there before outside of Davao city. I wanted to return there.

At least I live in Florida. hahahhaha Not the North area.

Art

·
Super Moderator
3,284 Posts
Like many others, I have had my travel plans to the Philippines interrupted by COVID. When I learned of the new rule allowing foreign spouses to apply for a travel visa, I began to put my packet together. The longest part was waiting for my wife's notarized affidavit that she is currently in the Philippines and a notarized copy of her passport (proof of citizenship) to arrive.

Since I am in the northeast US, I followed the instructions on the New York City consulate website. I did notice that other consulates have small differences in requirements. I mailed the entire packet priority mail on Monday the 29th, got confirmation that it arrived on the 1st and my passport with approved visa was in the mail today. I applied for the 90 day single entry visa, since I will just extend at immigration when I am in country. This is the first time I have applied for a visa before travelling, I am impressed that it only took a week.

My packet consisted of my military current retired pay statement, a copy of my latest bank statement, notarized copy of my wife's passport, notarized copy of our marriage certificate, notarized copies of form 2A from the consulate website, visa photo, notarized affidavit that my wife is in the Philippines, my passport, payment, proposed flight itinerary (just a screenshot from cheaptickets) and a booking at an approved quarantine hotel (made from the list available on the Clark airport website, Manila and Cebu have their own lists.)

I do not plan on travelling until next month but will post updates on the entire flight/entry/testing and quarantine process when I get there.

Was not as easy as the automatic visa issued at the airport pre-covid but better than spending another winter in the frozen northeast US.

Good luck to anyone else going this route.

Alan
Sounds terrific Alan and welcome to the forum and I wish you nothing but the best in finally arriving before winter.

Sounds like you have all your bases covered. For sure the 5 Philippine Consulates (when I applied in 2007 for the 13a) in the US have some small variations in their paperwork but nearly the same, it doesn't' seem to be standardized and then the documents are much different in the Philippines.

And hopefully we'll hear more from you, I'm sure many other expats are in the same situation.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
This is all very interesting as I'm likely going this route at the end of the year. My main difference is that my wife will be travelling with me. She will I assume have to enter on her Philippines passport which in itself will cause complications. We will also be entering via Clark. Have you booked a hotel with a pickup or have you had to find your own. How many days have you had to book the room for and what are the costs like.

·
Registered
179 Posts
This is all very interesting as I'm likely going this route at the end of the year. My main difference is that my wife will be travelling with me. She will I assume have to enter on her Philippines passport which in itself will cause complications. We will also be entering via Clark. Have you booked a hotel with a pickup or have you had to find your own. How many days have you had to book the room for and what are the costs like.
Have you checked if YOU can get trouble to get in if your wife isn't in Phils before you start process to get in?

Because isn't the rule for foreigners to be allowed to get in to JOIN a spouse or kids being there allready?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Has anyone heard when the government might open up travel for foreigners on a tourist visa? The revenue they are losing is unbelievable from stopping all foreign travelers that are not married to a Filipino.

I am glad I never bought my plane ticket back in Jan.

Art

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gary,
Your process will be similar to mine except that you will need an affidavit from your wife stating that she will be travelling with you instead of one saying that she is in the Philippines. The Clark airport website says the COVID testing results are released between 24-48 hours, I made my reservations for 3 days and will extend if needed. I made reservations at DM Residente in Balibago as I stayed there a few times many years ago, and it is not far from my apartment. They do have airport pickup and the hotel only costs about $25 a night.

The Clark Airport Facebook page has slides posted that show the process on arrival including a list of approved hotels. There were a few less expensive than DM and a lot that are more expensive. I was not worried so much about the cost as just wanting someplace I have used before.

Good luck in your process.

Alan

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Gary,
Your process will be similar to mine except that you will need an affidavit from your wife stating that she will be travelling with you instead of one saying that she is in the Philippines. The Clark airport website says the COVID testing results are released between 24-48 hours, I made my reservations for 3 days and will extend if needed. I made reservations at DM Residente in Balibago as I stayed there a few times many years ago, and it is not far from my apartment. They do have airport pickup and the hotel only costs about $25 a night.

The Clark Airport Facebook page has slides posted that show the process on arrival including a list of approved hotels. There were a few less expensive than DM and a lot that are more expensive. I was not worried so much about the cost as just wanting someplace I have used before.

Good luck in your process.

Alan
Thank you for the information Aan. I believe that both my wife and myself will have to have separate rooms.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Hi Alan, did you make it to the Philippines ok. How did you get a 90 day visa as there is no mention of it on the UK website, also how did you get around the essential travel only criteria.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
He didn't, family is considered essential so 9a foreigners with a Filipino wife and/or minor children can enter.
If you only have a Filipino wife no you can't, I assume the minor would perhaps swing it. I have a Filipino wife and the Philippines embassy states essential travel only, excluding leisure and vacation.

·
Registered
89 Posts
If you only have a Filipino wife no you can't, I assume the minor would perhaps swing it. I have a Filipino wife and the Philippines embassy states essential travel only, excluding leisure and vacation.
Not true, again:

On July 30, 2020, Philippine Inter-Agency Task Force on Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-EID), a national task force gave this directive on who can travel to the Philippines at this time:

– Foreign spouses of Filipino nationals, regardless of nationality
– Foreign parents of minor Filipino children
- Traveling to PH in the time of Covid

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Not true, again:
Foreign Nationals Who May Apply for a Visa to Enter the Philippines
As of 06 August 2020, only the foreign nationals identified in the matrix below may apply for a 9A, 9C, and 9E visas to enter the Philippines. All visa applications are to be sent by post. The visa application form must be notarised by a British / Irish Notary Public and must bear the Notary’s official seal. Applications that are not duly notarised and which do not bear the seal or stamp of the notary public will not be considered. The purpose for the limited issuance of 9A visas is to enable foreign nationals to visit their Filipino national spouses int he Philippines or to travel to the Philippines with their Filipino nationals spouses for reason of GENUINE EMERGENCIES; as well as to enable foreign nationals to visit their Filipino national dependent children in the Philippines. Foreign nationals must therefore travel with their Filipino national spous to the Philippines or present proof that their Filipino national spouse is in the Philippines. A pre-booked holiday or vacation to the Philippines for the purposes of leisure is not considered an emergency.

·
Registered
89 Posts
^ Not linking your sources, but they still prove my point:

The purpose for the limited issuance of 9A visas is to enable foreign nationals to visit their Filipino national spouses int he Philippines

or to travel to the Philippines with their Filipino nationals spouses for reason of GENUINE EMERGENCIES

as well as to enable foreign nationals to visit their Filipino national dependent children in the Philippines.
As of last week:

As of 03 November 2020: The Bureau of Immigration informs the public that inbound foreign nationals is temporarily not allowed except if he/she is:1.Foreign spouses of Filipino nationals; 2. Foreign parents of minor Filipino children
Source: https://boi.gov.ph/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/BOI-IAS-SALIENT-POINTS-AS-OF-11032020.pdf

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
A bit of selective reading going on there.

The purpose for the limited issuance of 9A visas is to enable foreign nationals to visit their Filipino national spouses int he Philippines or to travel to the Philippines with their Filipino nationals spouses for reason of GENUINE EMERGENCIES;

The link

·
Registered
89 Posts
A bit of selective reading going on there.
I'm reading the word "or" and you're ignoring it.

And again, the obvious point is that family is considered essential, which should surprise nobody who knows anything about the Philippines. That's why if you aren't with your wife or child, like OP, you can get a VISA, like he did. If you're already with them, you can't, unless "emergency".

The link
Warning: Potential Security Risk Ahead

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Alan, did you make it to the Philippines ok. How did you get a 90 day visa as there is no mention of it on the UK website, also how did you get around the essential travel only criteria.
Hello Gary, I am travelling this weekend. Should land in Clark Tuesday afternoon. Will post a report on the process once I get settled in.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Not to add fuel to the fire, but it seems pretty clear that any spouse is eligible for entry if they have an existing visa... From the Bureau of Immigration FB page a few weeks ago...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Not to add fuel to the fire, but it seems pretty clear that any spouse is eligible for entry if they have an existing visa... From the Bureau of Immigration FB page a few weeks ago...
Many with families lived there at tourist visa.

Still not leting in SRRV.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Many with families lived there at tourist visa.

Still not leting in SRRV.
Yes I was on a Balikbayan, had to return to the UK for fathers funeral. Can now only return for essential traval by gaining a tourist visa for which I can't qualify.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts