Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Just a quick question regarding Australian Citizenship
I will be due for citizenship next year in 15 May 2018. But i am going overseas for 93 days Nov 17-Feb 18.
Will i be eligible to apply after 15th May. As my stay is more than 90 days. Do i need to make up Only for extra 3 days i have spent overseas ? That is i can apply citizenship after 18th May( 3 days later of due date)? Or i have to start my 1 year again after i Return back in Feb 2018?
Thanks

·
Registered
427 Posts
Not 100% certain, but the way I've understood it is that you need to look 1 year into the past just before you intended date of application and during that 1 year, you should not have spent a total of 90 days outside the country. In your case, that will be true only sometime in November/December 2018 (as you intend to be away from Nov 17 to Feb 18).

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
It's best to use the residence calculator to confirm your eligibility. https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Ente/Retu/residence-calculator

However, you look back from the date you lodge to determine your eligibility. Since you did not provide actual dates, I can't know for certain but you would look back one year from the date to see if you have met the 90 day criteria. If not, you keep looking back until you get to a date where you have only been absent 90 days. You also need to make sure you have been away from Australia for no more than 1 year from the date you apply in the previous 4 years.

·
Registered
23,925 Posts
It's best to use the residence calculator to confirm your eligibility. https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Ente/Retu/residence-calculator

However, you look back from the date you lodge to determine your eligibility. Since you did not provide actual dates, I can't know for certain but you would look back one year from the date to see if you have met the 90 day criteria. If not, you keep looking back until you get to a date where you have only been absent 90 days. You also need to make sure you have been away from Australia for no more than 1 year from the date you apply in the previous 4 years.
A friend of mine came to Australia on his working 457 visa in Dec 2014 and got his PR in Nov 2015

Technically he becomes eligible for Citizenship only in Dec 2018

But he was in Australia in May 2014 for 10 days on a visitor visasub class 600

He has not stayed out of Australia for more then a few weeks since Dec 2014 so he can show that he has not spent more then a year out of Australia if he can calculate his arrival from May 2014

My query is if the visit on Visitors visa also count towards the 4 years ?

Cheers

1 - 4 of 4 Posts