Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,we need help please with regards to my USA g/f coming to live in UK,First let me give you some of my information,i am a british national,i am disabled with artheritis,i am unable to work,also in 2004 suffered a heart attack,i live in a 1 bedroom flat and have lived here since me and my g/f met,which will be 7 years this coming March 2010,the flat is owned by the local housing association ( council )and i have been setting this up over the years ready for when the time came for us to be married,so she has a respectable place to live with nothing at all needed,i have NO savings,because of not working and setting up a home,and plus flying to the states 4 times,took alot of saving for those trips alone..now my g/f's info into why we have waited 8 years......

Ok,she was divorced 8 or 9 years ago now,and her divorce settlement meant her second payment to her for reasons that are personal,would not be available till june of 2009,so that's the reason why we waited so long,plus this year her car would be payed for and she could do her taxes in Febuary of 2010,she has now of this week recieved her payment from her ex husband,so she has 30,000 dollars in savings,she is a LPN nurse,which we know means nothing here in the UK,but she will be working in the care communtie when she arrives here ( hopefully ).....she has visited the me in the UK 3 times,the last time we saw each other was october 2007 for her sons wedding,the last 2 years i have been sorting my flat out improving things,now the time is here for us,to start the ball rolling...

ok we really need all the help we can get with this please,we are looking at marrying in febuary 2010,now she has her money and the car can be sold,and she can get her taxes sorted out,can anyone see at all if we should have any problems applying for a settlement visa,i will be flying there and marrying her in New York,can we apply in person to the New York consulate,or does it all have to be done online?..reason i ask if we can apply in person,is because i will only be there for 2 weeks,and i believe they need my passport?...but i will need this to fly back,i know some of my questions might seem silly,but i want to know if we are going to stand any chance of getting her here,i will leave it at that for now,hopefully one of you kind people here can advise me sorry US where to go with this and the best way,cheers and beers all and thank you for reading this plea

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
You have to apply to the British Consulate General in New York after your wedding there. The normal processing time is 10 to 12 weeks, though some people have had it back sooner (usually uncomplicated cases involving a professional couple etc). I can't predict how long your girlfriend's visa application will take, but in view of your special circumstances I'd say more like 10 weeks than 2 or 3. If you are only staying in US for two weeks, you will have to return home and wait for the visa to come through (quite common this). As for your getting your passport back, I'm sure it can be returned after the consulate get a photocopy of relevant pages, but do ask.
As you probably know, an application for a settlement visa (marriage visa valid for 2-year probationary period in your case) requires a ream of supporting documents and evidence, and I suggest you both start collecting them now, as your wedding is only 3 months away.
There are posters here who have gone through the same things themselves recently, who I'm sure can give you more detailed advice. Look at some existing threads dealing with settlement visa. Some people have employed a visa agent to help them lodge their application, others have used an expedited service, with mixed results. Remember, though, their fees are on top of the visa fee which is £580 or $995, and there's no guarantee that those agents can get your visa any sooner. At least they should know whether any documents or evidence you submit will be sufficient to meet consulate's requirements, but you still have to collect them yourself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you for reply

You have to apply to the British Consulate General in New York after your wedding there. The normal processing time is 10 to 12 weeks, though some people have had it back sooner (usually uncomplicated cases involving a professional couple etc). I can't predict how long your girlfriend's visa application will take, but in view of your special circumstances I'd say more like 10 weeks than 2 or 3. If you are only staying in US for two weeks, you will have to return home and wait for the visa to come through (quite common this). As for your getting your passport back, I'm sure it can be returned after the consulate get a photocopy of relevant pages, but do ask.
As you probably know, an application for a settlement visa (marriage visa valid for 2-year probationary period in your case) requires a ream of supporting documents and evidence, and I suggest you both start collecting them now, as your wedding is only 3 months away.
There are posters here who have gone through the same things themselves recently, who I'm sure can give you more detailed advice. Look at some existing threads dealing with settlement visa. Some people have employed a visa agent to help them lodge their application, others have used an expedited service, with mixed results. Remember, though, their fees are on top of the visa fee which is £580 or $995, and there's no guarantee that those agents can get your visa any sooner. At least they should know whether any documents or evidence you submit will be sufficient to meet consulate's requirements, but you still have to collect them yourself.

thank you joppa for a reply,so i take it,i can print off the settlement visa form from the visa site,then when i go over take all the evidence i have with me,and add her stuff to the folder we will have put together,i have all flight tickets for the trips to new york,and she has hers from coming here,also got over 2,000 photos including her meeting my family,i have my tenancy agreement,paperwork regarding my benifits im on,we dont have many emails because we see each other everyday,we started on netmeeting voicing and camming,then started using skype,i have the last 7 years phone bills all saved with her number on them,plus birthday and xmas cards for the last 7 years,we are hoping we have enough in that lot,i did have 20 minutes free with a imigration lawyer a few years back,and outlined what was going on,he said it sounds like its just money thats letting you down,so this is why we waited for her payment from the divorce to come through,she has also contacted some nursing homes over here,and is waiting for replies from them.....i cant stay over there more than 2 weeks in febuary 2010,so its a case of quick wedding then straight down to the consulate in new york.....we have waited so long for this we just hope we can pull this off,and be together soon...thanks again

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
I'd also say if you have any proof at all about the length of your relationship - include this in any application. It can only help matters,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you topcat83

I'd also say if you have any proof at all about the length of your relationship - include this in any application. It can only help matters,
hi topcat83,regarding proof,would wriiten statements from people like my mother and friends that have met my future wife when shes been over here help ?like i say i have over 2,000 photos way back to 2001/2002,thank you for reading my thread

·
Registered
84 Posts
Your case seems straight-forward - but a few things to consider

Hi!

Well to get started, have you looked through all the information?

Visas for the UK (The New York consulate, which you'll apply to, you won't go there, but apply online.)

visa4UK :: Welcome This links you to the online application.

You cannot apply in person or with a print out. Your to-be-wife must apply online, print the application (it goes in your supporting packet of info), set up a bio-metrics, then once bio-metrics are done, send in the supporting package.

Its about $800-900. Biometrics are free.

An expediter has access to deliver packages to the visa unit. Our cost $200, but his advice (listed here on other posts) was invaluable.

Now my random thoughts.

1. Proving relationship is not an issue. However, proving why you are marrying is the key. Any whiff of marriage for a visa is a no-no. We did provide emails that did show more than a friendship, letters from people in UK and USA that know us and attested to our character and intent of marriage, and for us, GP reports of his fertility/sperm tests (we want children - future British tax-paying citizens!) Make a narrative, make it concise (no more than a page, your post here was rambling.) You both have to make it clear (we did ours in two voices, his and mine) that she is seeking a visa to fulfill her marriage and life to you, be a part of constructive and productive society and do her part as a new Brit.

2. She needs to play up her profession to be a productive part of society, however not so much that it sounds like she's coming to steal a job from a natural born Brit.

3. Timing is pain. After the wedding, remember it takes time to get all the recorders to do the paperwork. We forgot that, and had to wait 2 weeks to get the marriage certificate. (No need for Apostille, thank God as that would have been another few weeks. UK recognizes marriages from a registered place or an ordained minister that take place in USA.)

4. Once she sends in her application and payment, the next screen is biometrics appointment. For me in Las Vegas, it was 3 weeks after!!! That was the first available appointment. Upon advice from my visa agent, I went there the next day and smiled, please may I be added to the list, and they were fine as so many people never show up. Remember she must travel to the biometrics site....so depending where that is...that can take time. (It only takes 30 min with waiting.)

5. Once biometrics are done, the package must go. So you must have all your supporting documents in order. All this is provided in checklists on any UK visa site, here and the checklist with the spouse visa application is a bit scanty. A few forms you have to sign (mostly identity.)

6. My visa agent recommended my UK husband's passport to go in the package (hers must. Be sure it doesn't expire in the next 6 months.) - but he was going back to the UK, but we'd already had a copy of his passport certified by his solicitor in UK. We later found that a notarized copy from USA was fine too. One thing the visa agent was adamant - long form original UK birth certificate (if you are natural.) Once the marriage is over, you are not really necessary to the process - meaning you don't have to physically be there.

7. She then must wait for the visa to come back after the paperwork goes in. Read here about cases. Some are easy - 2 days to a week, others have requests for paperwork.

8. I see questions asked about why you two are 8 years and rarely together, not live together, now marrying. (I know, you explained to us, but remember, you will need to give 'personal' information why in your application.) Narrate that in the application. Most visa sites state at least 6 months living together as man and wife...(not a rule.) We lived together 6 months, married in USA then put in the paperwork. That is just how it ended up. Any thought to having her move over to show intent of permanency?

9. Finally, you need to show how you will support her when she comes to UK. She cannot go near any government dole for two years of residency. You need to have documentation of abode, transportation, income, savings, etc. You need to get her on your council tax bill, which is a biggie - that really does show intent to have her with you in UK.

Hope that is a start.... good luck. I know you've waited a long time, but visas aren't given out for length of time with someone, it tends to care more if the person getting the visa will not take advantage of the situation, use government resources, or want a visa for personal benefit. You must show how you will support her.

Again - huge good luck!!!

And read alot here. Lots of great advice for folks who've BTDT.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you shipresa

Hi!

Well to get started, have you looked through all the information?

Visas for the UK (The New York consulate, which you'll apply to, you won't go there, but apply online.)

visa4UK :: Welcome This links you to the online application.

You cannot apply in person or with a print out. Your to-be-wife must apply online, print the application (it goes in your supporting packet of info), set up a bio-metrics, then once bio-metrics are done, send in the supporting package.

Its about $800-900. Biometrics are free.

An expediter has access to deliver packages to the visa unit. Our cost $200, but his advice (listed here on other posts) was invaluable.

Now my random thoughts.

1. Proving relationship is not an issue. However, proving why you are marrying is the key. Any whiff of marriage for a visa is a no-no. We did provide emails that did show more than a friendship, letters from people in UK and USA that know us and attested to our character and intent of marriage, and for us, GP reports of his fertility/sperm tests (we want children - future British tax-paying citizens!) Make a narrative, make it concise (no more than a page, your post here was rambling.) You both have to make it clear (we did ours in two voices, his and mine) that she is seeking a visa to fulfill her marriage and life to you, be a part of constructive and productive society and do her part as a new Brit.

2. She needs to play up her profession to be a productive part of society, however not so much that it sounds like she's coming to steal a job from a natural born Brit.

3. Timing is pain. After the wedding, remember it takes time to get all the recorders to do the paperwork. We forgot that, and had to wait 2 weeks to get the marriage certificate. (No need for Apostille, thank God as that would have been another few weeks. UK recognizes marriages from a registered place or an ordained minister that take place in USA.)

4. Once she sends in her application and payment, the next screen is biometrics appointment. For me in Las Vegas, it was 3 weeks after!!! That was the first available appointment. Upon advice from my visa agent, I went there the next day and smiled, please may I be added to the list, and they were fine as so many people never show up. Remember she must travel to the biometrics site....so depending where that is...that can take time. (It only takes 30 min with waiting.)

5. Once biometrics are done, the package must go. So you must have all your supporting documents in order. All this is provided in checklists on any UK visa site, here and the checklist with the spouse visa application is a bit scanty. A few forms you have to sign (mostly identity.)

6. My visa agent recommended my UK husband's passport to go in the package (hers must. Be sure it doesn't expire in the next 6 months.) - but he was going back to the UK, but we'd already had a copy of his passport certified by his solicitor in UK. We later found that a notarized copy from USA was fine too. One thing the visa agent was adamant - long form original UK birth certificate (if you are natural.) Once the marriage is over, you are not really necessary to the process - meaning you don't have to physically be there.

7. She then must wait for the visa to come back after the paperwork goes in. Read here about cases. Some are easy - 2 days to a week, others have requests for paperwork.

8. I see questions asked about why you two are 8 years and rarely together, not live together, now marrying. (I know, you explained to us, but remember, you will need to give 'personal' information why in your application.) Narrate that in the application. Most visa sites state at least 6 months living together as man and wife...(not a rule.) We lived together 6 months, married in USA then put in the paperwork. That is just how it ended up. Any thought to having her move over to show intent of permanency?

9. Finally, you need to show how you will support her when she comes to UK. She cannot go near any government dole for two years of residency. You need to have documentation of abode, transportation, income, savings, etc. You need to get her on your council tax bill, which is a biggie - that really does show intent to have her with you in UK.

Hope that is a start.... good luck. I know you've waited a long time, but visas aren't given out for length of time with someone, it tends to care more if the person getting the visa will not take advantage of the situation, use government resources, or want a visa for personal benefit. You must show how you will support her.

Again - huge good luck!!!

And read alot here. Lots of great advice for folks who've BTDT.

thank you for replying shipresa,i would like to ask you about the quote number 9,that i need to show how i will support her without her using public funds,i dont have any savings and i wont be able to claim for her on my benefits which we knew that wasnt possible,thats why she will be working when she arrives here,plus why we waited for her to recieve her second and final divorce payment,of 30,000 dollars,so it showed she can support herself with those funds,i have read other posts in here and one stood out,that the US partner coming here had no savings,and the UK partner only had a few hundred pounds put away and they had to live with family and they got the settlement visa,i have my own rented place which i have been putting together,nothing is owed on any furniture and fittings,it was all bought cash,plus saving for my trips over there,so thats why i dont have any savings,like now im saving and have got enough money for this trip to marry her,so its impossible for me to have savings and do all that,can you shed any light on this please,and thank you for taking the time out to answer...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.