Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick question - after a visit to OZ, a friend confirmed what I had thought: No concept of 55+ housing like in US. Anyone have different information?

·
Registered
346 Posts
They get around 45% cheaper housing. There are heaps and heaps of these villages! I wish I could get into one of these alas I'm too young!!!
One of them is near Jackson's landing in Sydney. Normal 1 bedder costs $420 a week, while just across the road 55+ pay $220 with water views and other fancy $&@$ 55+ don't really need. So not fair lol

·
Registered
239 Posts
I've found a lot of them in the Brisbane area (when we were looking at QLD sponsorship, before my occupation was removed from their SOL) - if you search for "retirement communities", you can find lots anywhere in Oz. My Dad will eventually be joining us in Oz, so was looking for him...

Sent from my iPad using ExpatForum

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow! I had searched before I went to visit, and could only find assisted living, not 55+. Then my younger friend in Melbourne told me that seniors live in the community in regular housing and then go to assisted living. So I assumed there are no communities/housing specifically called 55+ that exclude younger, but also have no assisted living. What's wrong with my search skills!! :) Could anyone give me a link to 55+ near Melbourne or Adelaide?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What is 55+ housing? You mean like communities for older folk? If so they have plenty of that in Australia.
55+ housing is just housing where people don't have to put up with children! There is lots of it in the US everywhere. One of the owners of a unit needs to be 55 or older to qualify to purchase. Usually a building is designated 55+, or a development community. You can have children visit, but not for very long, depends on the articles and bylaws of the association.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
55+ housing is just housing where people don't have to put up with children! There is lots of it in the US everywhere. One of the owners of a unit needs to be 55 or older to qualify to purchase. Usually a building is designated 55+, or a development community. You can have children visit, but not for very long, depends on the articles and bylaws of the association.
And isn't that such a wonderful arrangement? There are many of those gated communities here. Personally, I plan to cash in on a 55+ if and when I get there (meaning in age). There's nothing better than having a good nights' sleep, beautiful views and gardens instead of having to put up with loud music and people talking loud in the dwellings next door.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And isn't that such a wonderful arrangement? There are many of those gated communities here. Personally, I plan to cash in on a 55+ if and when I get there (meaning in age). There's nothing better than having a good nights' sleep, beautiful views and gardens instead of having to put up with loud music and people talking loud in the dwellings next door.
Thank you so much for your prompt response! Can you give me a link? Or where to find? We have gated communities in the US but they have a different meaning. 55+ is a special concept which may apply to a community, and also to an apartment/condo building. The units are not "serviced" and do not have handicap features.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
maybe unique to USA?

I found more info on why 55+ might be a unique concept to the USA:
Significant Recent Changes

The Housing for Older Persons Act of 1995 (HOPA) makes several changes to the 55 and older exemption. Since the 1988 Amendments, the Fair Housing Act has exempted from its familial status provisions properties that satisfy the Act's 55 and older housing condition.

First, it eliminates the requirement that 55 and older housing have significant facilities and services designed for the elderly. Second, HOPA establishes a good faith reliance immunity from damages for persons who in good faith believe that the 55 and older exemption applies to a particular property, if they do not actually know that the property is not eligible for the exemption and if the property has formally stated in writing that it qualifies for the exemption.
HOPA retains the requirement that senior housing must have one person who is 55 years of age or older living in at least 80 percent of its occupied units. It also still requires that senior housing publish and follow policies and procedures that demonstrate an intent to be housing for persons 55 and older.

An exempt property will not violate the Fair Housing Act if it includes families with children, but it does not have to do so. Of course, the property must meet the Act's requirements that at least 80 percent of its occupied units have at least one occupant who is 55 or older, and that it publish and follow policies and procedures that demonstrate an intent to be 55 and older housing.

A Department of Housing and Urban Development rule published in the April 2, 1999, Federal Register implements the Housing for Older Persons Act of 1995, and explains in detail those provisions of the Fair Housing Act that pertain to senior housing.

·
Registered
346 Posts
ratfancy said:
Thank you so much for your prompt response! Can you give me a link? Or where to find? We have gated communities in the US but they have a different meaning. 55+ is a special concept which may apply to a community, and also to an apartment/condo building. The units are not "serviced" and do not have handicap features.
Just go to www.domain.com.au. And put 55+ in the search box :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
http://www.villages.com.au

That's a neat site where you can search for retirement villages...

Sent from my iPad using ExpatForum

G

·
My in laws recently bought a place here. Mayflower Village Westmead (Independent Living) | UnitingCare Ageing

The place is huge, covers several streets and contains houses & apartments where people live independently with no 'handicapped' things as you put it. Then the part care complex, the nursing home and last but not least what is all but a mini hospital!

I think the idea is you move up to the next level if/when you need it! They have their own apartment and can benefit from joining in the complex life & activities or just get on with their own stuff. We could only visit during the day and were not allowed to stay over!

Many of these are run by non government organisations in Australia like Uniting Care, older folk are big business! Retirement Homes & Villages in Australia

·
Registered
1,218 Posts

I was thinking that maybe we word it differently? Maybe if you find the proper term for it, you'll have an easier time finding it. I have a feeling Aussies don't call it, "55+".

Try this one:
Seniors Housing Online - Retirement Living - Home

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Everyone has been so helpful! I finally figured out how to search - and the links are really helpful too. "Independent Living" villages is good. I even found a mobile home community. So I have lots to learn about potential for repatriating with my Aussie husband as a senior. All good info!!

·
Registered
346 Posts
stormgal said:
Don't forget a discounted property price! *drool*. With current property prices I probably will not be able to buy anything until I'm 55+!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.