Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just an update and bits and pieces after our first 5 weeks.

We have settled in one of the areas we identfied from the internet so that's good, shows that a true picture can be gleaned from outside of Aus.

We arrived at the end of the school term but viewed 3 schools in the first two days, made our choice and enrolled our daughter on the Friday, getting unifirm etc all sorted that day and she started after the holidays. She has taken a while to settle in but now if a confident member fo the class.

After selecting teh scholl we looked for a rental property. We had 3 weeks booked in a caravan park and in the area we wanted there were few rentals available. we managed to get one by having all ID, proof of income etc ready and copied, but we did have to pay 6 months rent in advance (we offered 3) and sign a 12 month lease. This has eaten into the budget, but has meant we are now in a house near the school.

Our contained arrived this week (was due on 19th Sept) so prepare for delays here, some stuff w ehad to buy again...we always expected the container before the house but it seemed to take forever. no issues with customs though although we didnt rbing anything that may cause issued.

Cash - we brought GBP20k with us, which thanks to the rent has almost gone, but hubby has a job now. We bought all our white goods (AUD3k, plus a car AUD10k - Renault Scenic 2002, Sofa, kids bed and other bits like pans, crockery etc with this) Bear in mind we are cautious with our money so if you are more extravagant you may need more.

TFN, Driv Lic, Medicare etc - we are still doing these as the ID required taked a while to gather. TFN - there were some issues as hubby had had one before which delayed his but now sorted.

If you are organised then it's not all that bad really.

I have found it hardest adjusting to being a stay at home mum, and without a car, have been caught in the rain and got lost a few times. It's getting easier as I meet people and get a routine but I am looking for work. having said that I was offered the first job I got an interview for but declined it as it was 40 hours a week in the city which was too much for me...the view of aussies realxing and not working much is untrue, they work long hours here....

Over all though I know it's been the right move for us and look forward to what else is going happen

Sheila

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Great update Sheila,

When you look back it's amazing what's accomplished in those first few weeks.

Good to hear your daughter is settling in well at school....that's always a huge worry.

How long did you container take from start to finish? Usually it's around 8-10 weeks. Seems as though you've had to wait longer for yours.....but isn't it great when you start to unpack all your stuff!!

Keep us posted on how you're getting on....

Dolly

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
hey Sheila

wow, congratulations, it has been smooth it seems, so far so good.

thanks for sharing. do keep these posts coming, sounds scary and exciting, both at the same time

Cheers
Anj

·
Registered
84 Posts
hi

good to hear your experience of settling in.

I was curious that you had an issue with your husbands TFN. My husband and I have both had TFN before from when we lived there. I assumed you kept the same number for life so we wouldn't need to re-register.

can you tell more on what the problem was?

cheers

·
Registered
541 Posts
Hallo SheilaB.........

How beautifully you have explained. ITs very useful information i got.
Never read a thread like this before.
THen a secondhand Renault costs so much. (secondhand cars are not cheap in AU i think)
Thanks alot
Hari999999

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Thanks for updating us Sheila. It's through posts like this one that members moving to Australia find out what it's like now.

Glad to hear that you and the family are settling in.

BTW I sold my car almost a year ago. I never thought I would (or could :) ) be without a car but I hardly ever used it. So I've been through a winter here without a car and it takes a little organisation (and I can borrow my husbands when he's not a work) but it is possible. I should say that I don't have kids though....

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
David, we moved to Aspendale in melbourne - a lovely place near the beach.
Dolly, the container took about 10 weeks in total, so not that long but not on the date we were given when it set off which caused us issues.
The issues with the TFN I am not 100% sure but basically my husband didn't know his so requested it sedning out again, it never came and when he rang up (many times) they sais the couldn't validate him!!!! Eventually he spoke to someone with common sense who simply took his details from the UK (address) and gave the TFN immediately.

Will try remember to send another update trhough in a few weeks. Am trying to get my Aussie driving licence on wednesday...third time lucky????

1 - 8 of 8 Posts