Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

I'm really confused about whether 489 visa sponsored by a relative includes Melbourne metropolitan area or not?

The whole state of Victoria is under "designated area" but Melbourne metropolitan area doesn't come under "regional area".

I'm confused because at the top of 489 visa info page (https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/489-) it states: "This visa allows skilled workers to live and work in regional or low-population growth metropolitan areas of Australia for up to four years."

Then a bit further below it says: "You must be prepared to live, work and study in only certain areas of Australia. If you are:
1. nominated by a state or territory government agency, this is a regional or low-population growth metropolitan area
2. sponsored by a relative, this is a designated area of Australia."

I'd be thankful if someone can clear up whether I can work and live in Melbourne metropolitan area under 489 visa sponsored by a relative.

Thanks.

·
Registered
23,957 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm really confused about whether 489 visa sponsored by a relative includes Melbourne metropolitan area or not?

The whole state of Victoria is under "designated area" but Melbourne metropolitan area doesn't come under "regional area".

I'm confused because at the top of 489 visa info page (https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/489-) it states: "This visa allows skilled workers to live and work in regional or low-population growth metropolitan areas of Australia for up to four years."

Then a bit further below it says: "You must be prepared to live, work and study in only certain areas of Australia. If you are:
1. nominated by a state or territory government agency, this is a regional or low-population growth metropolitan area

I'd be thankful if someone can clear up whether I can work and live in Melbourne metropolitan area under 489 visa sponsored by a relative.

Thanks.
You cannot live or work in Melbourne metropolitan area under 489
There is no ambiguity

Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 489)
Holders of this visa subclass including dependent applicants are required to:
reside in a designated regional or low population growth area for a minimum of two (2) years; and
work in a regional area for a minimum of one (1) year.
This requirement applies to visa holders regardless of whether they were sponsored by an eligible relative residing in a regional area or nominated by a state or territory government. There is a condition attached to the Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa to ensure that you comply with the requirement.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
There is no ambiguity

reside in a designated regional or low population growth area for a minimum of two (2) years; and
This requirement applies to visa holders regardless of whether they were sponsored by an eligible relative residing in a regional area or nominated by a state or territory government. There is a condition attached to the Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa to ensure that you comply with the requirement.

Cheers
Have to disagree on this one:

Hi

Melbourne and Perth are in Designated area for 489 Family sponsored.
Perth is regional for RSMS but the State Government is not certifying Nomination, Melbourne is not regional for RSMS.
Perth and Melbourne are not regional for 5 extra points for regional study, Adelaide is
Perth and Melbourne are not regional for 489 State sponsorship, Adelaide is.

There are different lists for different visas and for 489, different lists for the same visa.

so, the answer to Mnoor's question is yes, you can live in Melbourne on a 489 Family sponsored visa, but not on a 489 State Sponsored visa

Regards

Tony Coates

·
Registered
238 Posts
Designated area applies to applicants sponsored by relatives.
Regional area applies to applicants sponsored by state/territory.

And Melbourne is in designated area. You can only live and work in Melbourne metropolitan area if you are sponsored by eligible relatives.

Simple?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi guys,

Thanks.
Extract :https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/visa-1/489-

This visa lets you and your family:

•stay in Australia for up to 4 years
•live, work and study in a specified region of Australia

Extract 2: https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav...ges/skilled/designated-area-of-australia.aspx

Designated areas of Australia:
Victoria Everywhere in the state All postcodes

You can live and work anywhere in Victoria.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
This is answered on the government website:

If you were nominated by a state or territory for your current skilled visa, you must live and work in a regional or low-population growth metropolitan area in the same state or territory that nominated you for your current visa.

If you were sponsored by a relative for your current skilled visa, you can live and work in any designated area in any state or territory.

·
Registered
197 Posts
since we are on this topic quick question.

what is the eligibility criteria for sponsoring.

I mean if I and my family are on 189 visa, can we sponsor to my or my wife's blood relative.

thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Visa 489

There is no ambiguity

Cheers

Hi,

Please help with same query.
On home affairs website, it suggests -
"You must be prepared to live, work and study in only certain areas of Australia. If you are:
> sponsored by a relative, this is a designated area of Australia."

Designated ares list :
This table suggests Victoria - Any where in state

Please help if you have any personal examples of anyone with 489 and working in Melbourne

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Hi,

Please help with same query.
On home affairs website, it suggests -
"You must be prepared to live, work and study in only certain areas of Australia. If you are:
> sponsored by a relative, this is a designated area of Australia."

Designated ares list :
This table suggests Victoria - Any where in state

Please help if you have any personal examples of anyone with 489 and working in Melbourne

Thanks,
If you are sponsored by a state or territory, then you must live and work in a Regional and low population-growth metropolitan areas - Melbourne is excluded.

If you are sponsored by a family member, then you must live and work in a Designated area - Melbourne is included.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Visa 489

If you are sponsored by a state or territory, then you must live and work in a Regional and low population-growth metropolitan areas - Melbourne is excluded.

If you are sponsored by a family member, then you must live and work in a Designated area - Melbourne is included.

Thanks!

Is that a sure thing. Because some of consultants are saying Melbourne is not included. Only regional areas included.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi,
If I am holding the PR, can I sponsor my brother's wife when she is the main applicant and brother is dependent?

Thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts