Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have a question, i am a permanent resident of australia and i am planning to sponsor my sister to get 489 visa. I am just wondering what the requirement are (for me) to be able to sponsor my sister?
I currently live in sydney, and i know well i cant sponsor her in Sydney. If i move to Melbourne, how long do i have to stay there to be eligible to be a sponsor?

Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
You have to live in a designated area to become a sponsor. There is no clause on the website or in the sponsorship declaration that you need to live in Melbourne for a certain amount of time before you can sponsor her.

It's really nice that you would move states to be able to sponsor her but the 489 family sponsored stream but is that really the best/only option for her? During the last year, they limited the number of invites per month quite a bit (usually only 100-200 per month) which resulted in crazy long wait times. Fortunately, a large number of invitations in February took some of the pressure off, but state sponsored applicants have a higher priority than people in the family sponsored stream. If she can ace her language test, she might qualify for a 190/189 visa instead.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She is trying to get 7 on her ielts at the moment. 489 visa is the last option i can think of if she can not pass the ielts test.
How long is the current wait times for 489 visa?
Is there any other way, another visa for relative?
Thank you

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
There are no options beside the 489 visa where she would profit/gain points from having a relative. However, the usual options (student visas, temp. work visa, skilled migrant visas) are potential options.

No idea how long it takes at the moment, sorry. It depends how many people are applying in the 189 category... if there are too many applicants, the 489 invitations can be on hold.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts