Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Thanks for sharing you life experience. I got 489 visa for QLD and have to stay in regional area. I am IT professional and you know better than me that to get job in IT in regional area is almost impossible.
So , coming to the point. I came to know that i can open one man company and address will in regional area.The purpose to do like that is to work in City and live in regional area. Because 489 visa has restriction that I must stay +work at least for one year in regional area. I can not work in city.
Therefore someone suggested me to open a company and find a job in city and work as freelancer for the employer and i can invoice to my employer.
Do you have any information regarding this process and is it acceptable by the immigration department ? because later i have to apply for PR later.
I will be very thankful if you can share some information regarding this scenario.

·
Super Moderator
5,693 Posts
Hi,
Thanks for sharing you life experience. I got 489 visa for QLD and have to stay in regional area. I am IT professional and you know better than me that to get job in IT in regional area is almost impossible.
So , coming to the point. I came to know that i can open one man company and address will in regional area.The purpose to do like that is to work in City and live in regional area. Because 489 visa has restriction that I must stay +work at least for one year in regional area. I can not work in city.
Therefore someone suggested me to open a company and find a job in city and work as freelancer for the employer and i can invoice to my employer.
Do you have any information regarding this process and is it acceptable by the immigration department ? because later i have to apply for PR later.
I will be very thankful if you can share some information regarding this scenario.
It is not acceptable. Some people may chance doing it, but some people are found out too.

A 489 visa is issued on the basis of Australia's need for people to live and work in designated areas.

Work or live anywhere outside these areas during the validity of this visa and you are in direct breach of your visa conditions. You could then be subject to cancellation of your visa and removal from Australia. DIBP take these cases seriously, there is no tolerance.

A 190 visa has a moral obligation to stay in that State, but a 489 visa has a mandatory obligation to live and work in designated areas.

Also, providing false or misleading information to DIBP is a criminal offense if you live in Australia. Prospective employers simply have to look at your visa class on VEVO and compare that with where you have said, and actually are, living and/or working.

Similarly, the ATO and DIBP do data-matching, so it might not be too hard for them to work out where your employers are located, and hence, where you are working.

And as DIBP says, "If you plan to seek permanent residence, you will need to prove that you have spent the specified time in a designated area."

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi
Thanks for the response , it might be possible in IT that i can find online job for the client and my client can be in AU or outside AU, so in this case how i can continue my job?

·
Super Moderator
5,693 Posts
Hi
Thanks for the response , it might be possible in IT that i can find online job for the client and my client can be in AU or outside AU, so in this case how i can continue my job?
As far as I'm aware, that's not a problem. :)

But to meet the conditions of a 489 visa, the visa holder needs to do the work, and live, in the required areas.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now you got my point , I fully understand that i must stay and work in regional area,But for such online job i must have company for the invoice, otherwise how my client will pay? I want to know how the people staying who work online within AU or outside AU ? In IT i can start freelance work and my client can be in Europe, then in this case how i can continue my job ?

·
Super Moderator
5,693 Posts
Now you got my point , I fully understand that i must stay and work in regional area,But for such online job i must have company for the invoice, otherwise how my client will pay? I want to know how the people staying who work online within AU or outside AU ? In IT i can start freelance work and my client can be in Europe, then in this case how i can continue my job ?
You don't need an Australian employer, you just need to live and work in your regional area.

If you bill international clients with you operating as an Australian company, or as a sole trader, or as contractor to an overseas entity, that's fine - as long as you live in a regional area, and your work is carried out in that regional area in Australia.

·
Registered
4 Posts
489 Visa

It is not acceptable. Some people may chance doing it, but some people are found out too.

A 489 visa is issued on the basis of Australia's need for people to live and work in designated areas.

Work or live anywhere outside these areas during the validity of this visa and you are in direct breach of your visa conditions. You could then be subject to cancellation of your visa and removal from Australia. DIBP take these cases seriously, there is no tolerance.

A 190 visa has a moral obligation to stay in that State, but a 489 visa has a mandatory obligation to live and work in designated areas.

Also, providing false or misleading information to DIBP is a criminal offense if you live in Australia. Prospective employers simply have to look at your visa class on VEVO and compare that with where you have said, and actually are, living and/or working.

Similarly, the ATO and DIBP do data-matching, so it might not be too hard for them to work out where your employers are located, and hence, where you are working.

And as DIBP says, "If you plan to seek permanent residence, you will need to prove that you have spent the specified time in a designated area."
Hi Experts
Can you advise, that on 489 Regional Nominated Visa from NSW, one can stay in another regional area in the same state 'NSW", without any objection from DIBP or is it mandatory to obtain Release from the Nominating Regional Territory (RDA).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi kaju,
Thanks for your value able information,working as a freelance i need to register a company in my regional area. I will stay there. In this case i can bill/invoice to my client regardless his physical office.I hope there is no difference working with international client or AU client .
If you have any link or contact who has done this procedure then kindly share with me. tq

·
Super Moderator
5,693 Posts
Hi kaju,
Thanks for your value able information,working as a freelance i need to register a company in my regional area. I will stay there. In this case i can bill/invoice to my client regardless his physical office.I hope there is no difference working with international client or AU client .
If you have any link or contact who has done this procedure then kindly share with me. tq
What you're suggesting is fine.

I don't know anyone, but just a regular local Australian accountant should be able to set up a company for you very cheaply, if that's what you need - no doubt they'd be able to advise you what business method (company or something else) is best for you too.

Every State Government wants to foster small business - you can contact them for free advice or see what they suggest on each State's website: https://www.business.qld.gov.au/starting-business

·
Registered
72 Posts
I was in your exact same situation. If you set up a company in a designated area, you will be fine. To apply for 887, you will submit tax documentation and a bank statement to prove you satisfied the work requirement. Those documents will only show your company's address.

·
Super Moderator
5,693 Posts
Hi Experts
Can you advise, that on 489 Regional Nominated Visa from NSW, one can stay in another regional area in the same state 'NSW", without any objection from DIBP or is it mandatory to obtain Release from the Nominating Regional Territory (RDA).
Here's an example of what one NSW RDA says:

"we expect relocation to this region within three months of a visa granting and a genuine effort to find employment in this region should occur before a job-search is broadened."

Important information for 489 visa holders settling in Northern Inland NSW

So yes, you can do it.

But you should be making a genuine effort to find work in the area covered by the Regional Development Authority that sponsored you.

DIBP doesn't care, as long as you stay in a regional or low growth metropolitan area. If you don't do that, you breach your visa conditions. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here's an example of what one NSW RDA says:

"we expect relocation to this region within three months of a visa granting and a genuine effort to find employment in this region should occur before a job-search is broadened."

So yes, you can do it.

But you should be making a genuine effort to find work in the area covered by the Regional Development Authority that sponsored you.

DIBP doesn't care as long as you stay in a regional or low growth metropolitan area. If you do that, you breach your visa conditions. :)
Dear Kaju, Thanks for reply & it explains a lot. I have one more query, fi you don't mind. Me & my family wife & 3 kids) have 489 visa from RDA Far South Coast. I have a very decent job in UAE & I don't want to travel at all and am planning to move only wife & kids. Can they get PR ???,.... if me as principal applicant and skilled immigrant, don't work & live in the regional area. In my application i did not mention partner skills and did not claim any points. But wife is qualified and can take some job there after sometime. And can she become the Principal applicant and manage PR for the Kids ??
I know its tough question, but i hope experts in this panel can help me out

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi kaju,
Hi Shahid.
I am in the exact situation as yours now. Just wonder how you going with 887 with your business set-up.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Best regards.
Viet.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hi me too. I am in Singapore and settled . At 44 I am applying to QLD 489. Any thoughts advice etc. Can I have a home and setup a co outside Brisbane and find something in Brisbane. Can I work from home for a company in Sydney ?

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Hi me too. I am in Singapore and settled . At 44 I am applying to QLD 489. Any thoughts advice etc. Can I have a home and setup a co outside Brisbane and find something in Brisbane. Can I work from home for a company in Sydney ?
As long as you hold a 489 state-sponsored visa, you can only live and work in a regional or low-population area so Brisbane is not allowed, and neither is Sydney. Whether working remotely is a loophole, I don't know but I wouldn't take the risk.

Reactions: indman100

·
Registered
122 Posts
HI All. I got my ITA for QLD 489. Going to submit my proof of funds and salary slips tomorrow.

Any advise? Should I take it ? Is there any loop hole to work for remote clients. Is it ok to start a company and bill it while working elsewhere.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hi Shahid.
I am in the exact situation as yours now. Just wonder how you going with 887 with your business set-up.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Best regards.
Viet.
hi , please pm me. I have just got a ita for qld.

·
Registered
311 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts