Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Apologies for the rant. But after 17 months of nothing - no clear position/answer/pathway from the Government, I am absolutely exhausted! We need answers, one way or another, so we can get out of this limbo period and move forward with out lives - inside or out of Australia.
A lot of us (3000+ stranded 489/491 holders) are in a similar situation as you and totally understand the predicament. Like you have rightly said, we have not heard anything regarding our visa situations from the Department nor the Government. As of now few senators have understood our plight and have raised this issue in the parliament, which is a positive for us to get noticed. Also one petition (EN2791) regarding our plight has been accepted recently by the parliament and minister is expected to reply to it within 3 months. Currently 489/491 seems to be low on their priority list and eventually they'll get to us and should let us know about our future. Hang in there, and don't lose hope just as yet. Yes, it's a pain to be stuck in a limbo, but it should be sorted out as Australia gets ahead in their vaccination drive and realise that shutting down and isolating the country from the rest of the world does bo good for anyone.

Cheers!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hope for 489/491 visa holders...
Received my INBOUND travel exemption in 3 days, first attempt, critical skills, engineneer with job offer, family of 4.
Visa 489 State Nominates (SA).
Documents attached:
  • Letter explaining visa, qualification, skills and experience (similar to cover letter for cv), job offer, company information, why my skills are critical for the company
  • Letter explaining possible travel itinerary and planned travel date (incl. Printscreens of possible flights)
  • statement of Covid situation (how we prevent getting the virus, covid situation of my home country, vaccination status of my family)
Attached evidences:
  • legal documents (passports, visas, birth cert, marriage cert.)
  • job offer
  • employment support letter (stating why my skills are critical - recovery of the Australian economy)
  • qualification
  • skill assessment
  • state nomination
No statutory declaration was needed.
No financial statement was needed.

·
Registered
24,721 Posts
Hope for 489/491 visa holders...
Received my INBOUND travel exemption in 3 days, first attempt, critical skills, engineneer with job offer, family of 4.
Visa 489 State Nominates (SA).
Documents attached:
  • Letter explaining visa, qualification, skills and experience (similar to cover letter for cv), job offer, company information, why my skills are critical for the company
  • Letter explaining possible travel itinerary and planned travel date (incl. Printscreens of possible flights)
  • statement of Covid situation (how we prevent getting the virus, covid situation of my home country, vaccination status of my family)
Attached evidences:
  • legal documents (passports, visas, birth cert, marriage cert.)
  • job offer
  • employment support letter (stating why my skills are critical - recovery of the Australian economy)
  • qualification
  • skill assessment
  • state nomination
No statutory declaration was needed.
No financial statement was needed.
Congratulations
Which country ?
Cheers

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi there,

I am confuse by this :

Applicants outside of Australia
Eligible prospective subclass 887 visa applicants can make their visa application outside Australia during the concession period and be granted the visa while they are outside Australia. Applicants outside of Australia who lodge during the concession period are given access to shorter employment requirements and shorter residence requirements.
These applicants must provide evidence of at least:
  • 9 months full-time work in a specified regional area (or, if the Minister specifies a shorter period in a legislative instrument, that shorter period), and
  • 18 months residence in a specified regional area (or, if the Minister specifies a shorter period in a legislative instrument, that shorter period).
Does this apply to those who are stuck out of Australia while on 489 visa who has not get a chance to enter Australia during Covid, they only need to have 18 months residence to apply for future 887 visa ? or still at 2 years residency ?

Thanks
EM

·
Registered
24,721 Posts
Hi there,

I am confuse by this :

Applicants outside of Australia
Eligible prospective subclass 887 visa applicants can make their visa application outside Australia during the concession period and be granted the visa while they are outside Australia. Applicants outside of Australia who lodge during the concession period are given access to shorter employment requirements and shorter residence requirements.
These applicants must provide evidence of at least:
  • 9 months full-time work in a specified regional area (or, if the Minister specifies a shorter period in a legislative instrument, that shorter period), and
  • 18 months residence in a specified regional area (or, if the Minister specifies a shorter period in a legislative instrument, that shorter period).
Does this apply to those who are stuck out of Australia while on 489 visa who has not get a chance to enter Australia during Covid, they only need to have 18 months residence to apply for future 887 visa ? or still at 2 years residency ?

Thanks
EM
Once they open the borders, DHA will probably give the clarification for those who have not been able to enter Australia
My guess is They may increase the validity of the 489 visa
Cheers

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
As per latest news, 489/491 visa holders don't need a travel exemption to enter Australia from Dec 1st onwards. The DoHA hasn't announced any concessions or visa extensions for the time lost due to border just yet and hopefully an update about this should come close to the opening date.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Now that borders are open.. have we received any further update on the extension of 489 visa..?
would like to know too
As per latest news, 489/491 visa holders don't need a travel exemption to enter Australia from Dec 1st onwards. The DoHA hasn't announced any concessions or visa extensions for the time lost due to border just yet and hopefully an update about this should come close to the opening date.
Few of my friends who are under 489 are still moving to SA even though they can't fulfil the 2 year stay.. hoping that there will be news on extension or concession when it comes to applying the PR

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for your quick response.. :)
good news to share

The Government will also extend visas for skilled regional (provisional visa) holders (subclass 489, 491 and 494) in recognition that this cohort has been adversely affected by COVID-19 related travel restrictions.

“Current and expired skilled regional provisional visas will be extended, providing additional time to meet regional work requirements for permanent residence,” Minister Hawke said

·
Registered
11 Posts
good news to share

The Government will also extend visas for skilled regional (provisional visa) holders (subclass 489, 491 and 494) in recognition that this cohort has been adversely affected by COVID-19 related travel restrictions.

“Current and expired skilled regional provisional visas will be extended, providing additional time to meet regional work requirements for permanent residence,” Minister Hawke said
This is good news indeed, expectation is also that processing of these VISAs will be prioritized and the processing time greatly reduced.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi guys,My flight is on 30th november from India via Dubai to Melbourne.I will reach on 1st december so i hope there wont be an issues by Australian authorities that you departed on 30th nov.Any sugessions guys?

61 - 79 of 79 Posts