Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
23,839 Posts
We have our flight tickets booked this July (we need to enter before November so we can fulfil the 2-year residency requirement before our visas expire in 2023).

Does anyone think temporary visa holders like 489 could be allowed to come to Australia by mid June 2021 (once this biosecurity travel ban is lifted)?
I hope you have booked refundable tickets or have an exemption
I don’t see a blanket approval to enter on temporary visas before October
Cheers

·
Registered
142 Posts
We have our flight tickets booked this July (we need to enter before November so we can fulfil the 2-year residency requirement before our visas expire in 2023).

Does anyone think temporary visa holders like 489 could be allowed to come to Australia by mid June 2021 (once this biosecurity travel ban is lifted)?
No, honestly i don't see 489 holders being allowed in 2021, maybe and a big maybe, in november after most people in australia get vaccinated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the dedicated thread for 489visa holders. Iam also in the same boat wich is getting 489 visa with the family but not yet IED. Hopefully everything will be fine by Q3-2021.

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·

Mid year looks highly unlikely in the current scenario. They are most probably going to wait till October or November to ease the restrictions little by little for non-PR holders. What they have planned for our visa validity, needs to be seen. Once they start issuing offshore grants to non-critical job codes, we can be hopeful of an upcoming border opening. I would suggest you apply for an exemption on DoHA site, though the chances of getting one are very less currently.

·
Registered
61 Posts
This has been really frustrating to us all after spending a lot of money, time and effort we are left with nothing.
Though I will be able to rebook the tickets at a later date (without an additional cost except the fare difference which is very common), what is concerning is that if they don't extend our visas, how can we fulfil the residency requirement (let us say we managed to IED)? What are our visa options after 489 is finished but not eligible for 887?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Reactions: primax and Jagornot

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mid year looks highly unlikely in the current scenario. They are most probably going to wait till October or November to ease the restrictions little by little for non-PR holders. What they have planned for our visa validity, needs to be seen. Once they start issuing offshore grants to non-critical job codes, we can be hopeful of an upcoming border opening. I would suggest you apply for an exemption on DoHA site, though the chances of getting one are very less currently.
Agree with your assessment, Jagornot.

Qantas is hopeful of international travel resuming in late October, but based on how careful the Australian government has been, it is more likely that they will do it in phases.

I do think that people on temporary visas and international students will be able to travel before the general public and tourists.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey guys, is there anything that we can do as 489 holders who do not qualify for the travel restrictions exemption? It kinda feels like the whole vaccination programme is like a roller coaster... First, problems to secure supply. Now blood clot problems. Not sure what to expect next. Do we really just observe and wait for our hard earned 489 visa to expire?

·
Registered
23,839 Posts
Hey guys, is there anything that we can do as 489 holders who do not qualify for the travel restrictions exemption? It kinda feels like the whole vaccination programme is like a roller coaster... First, problems to secure supply. Now blood clot problems. Not sure what to expect next. Do we really just observe and wait for our hard earned 489 visa to expire?
Rave or rant as much as you like
As if the DHA gives a damn
Cheers

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Unfortunately with over 30,000 Australian citizens stranded overseas, temporary visa holders would be the least of their priorities at the moment (not that they are prioritising their citizens as well). Don't bank on their vaccination strategy too, which has fallen flat on its face. The only way is to wait it out till they decided to come out of their safety bubbles and smell the reality around. It's going to be a long hard wait.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Unfortunately with over 30,000 Australian citizens stranded overseas, temporary visa holders would be the least of their priorities at the moment (not that they are prioritising their citizens as well). Don't bank on their vaccination strategy too, which has fallen flat on its face. The only way is to wait it out till they decided to come out of their safety bubbles and smell the reality around them. It's going to be a long hard wait.
I doubt the 30,000 number of Australians stranded overseas. I believe that majority of them have expressed their intention to return to Australia but not really keen to return. Flights are available but they are not willing to purchase the tickets at the current prices. Reports say more than half of arrivals into Australia are not citizens nor residents but other visa holders with compelling reasons to travel. So politicians and media are just using those 30k stranded Australians to exaggerate the issue and prevent skilled migration. Oppositions are saying that Australians have suffered so much for low wages because of skilled migration for the past 10 years. They believe that suppressing skilled migration could increase the present wages to enjoy. These people don't believe that there is a skills shortage happening so they are not keen to open the borders.
This is really disappointing.

·
Registered
23,839 Posts
I doubt the 30,000 number of Australians stranded overseas. I believe that majority of them have expressed their intention to return to Australia but not really keen to return. Flights are available but they are not willing to purchase the tickets at the current prices. Reports say more than half of arrivals into Australia are not citizens nor residents but other visa holders with compelling reasons to travel. So politicians and media are just using those 30k stranded Australians to exaggerate the issue and prevent skilled migration. Oppositions are saying that Australians have suffered so much for low wages because of skilled migration for the past 10 years. They believe that suppressing skilled migration could increase the present wages to enjoy. These people don't believe that there is a skills shortage happening so they are not keen to open the borders.
This is really disappointing.
You are underestimating the issue
The economy class tickets get sold out in minutes of opening
Those who manage to get one, also face high chances of cancellation at the last minute
I know many families having PR or citizenship desperately trying to return to Australia but can’t afford the business or first class tickets
A family of 4 are being asked to shell out 20-25k AUD plus the quarantine fees of another 5-6k

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
+1 to what NB said above.

Sometimes I wonder if a whole year since the beginning of the pandemic was not enough for the Australian govt. to come up with a return strategy and aid for their own citizens, forget PRs and other visa holders. Anyways, with the way things are unravelling, it would be well into 2022 before majority of the Australians are vaccinated at this snail's pace. The only fair thing to do is to come up with clear policies in terms of immigration and communicate it to the various visa holders and applicants.

·
Registered
61 Posts
+1 to what NB said above.

Sometimes I wonder if a whole year since the beginning of the pandemic was not enough for the Australian govt. to come up with a return strategy and aid for their own citizens, forget PRs and other visa holders. Anyways, with the way things are unravelling, it would be well into 2022 before majority of the Australians are vaccinated at this snail's pace. The only fair thing to do is to come up with clear policies in terms of immigration and communicate it to the various visa holders and applicants.
If Australia is not keen to attract skilled migrants at this stage then at least they allow entry of those still holding valid visas or allow time extension of our visas. (489 is not eligible for visa refund in the covid concession, by the way).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
If Australia is not keen to attract skilled migrants at this stage then at least they allow entry of those still holding valid visas or allow time extension of our visas. (489 is not eligible for visa refund in the covid concession, by the way).
It's not that they don't want skilled migrants. ScoMo has already mentioned in one of the press meets about how vital a role Skilled Migrants would play in the rebuilding of Australia's economy. But a lot of decisions are politically driven currently so that he and his team would come out looking like super-heroes having saved the country from a virus. The flop show that is the vaccine rollout is a slap on his face, but I don't think it's going to change anything for good. Currently their own citizens have to be really lucky playing fastest finger first to get an air ticket or be really rich and famous to gain entry to Australia.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi everyone,
First of all, I would like to thank you all for sharing your thoughts and concerns over this topic.
I have a similar condition. Let me try to explain it briefly.

I have a valid temporary visa (489 Visa, for Qeensland) which I granted on 7th of September 2019 and it’s length of stay until 7th of September 2023. However due to the Covid-19 closure and restrictions on the Australian Borders I can not enter to Australia since March 2020 (over a year). I made my initial entry into Australia on 20th of January. And I needed to go back to Turkey on 5th of March. In order to apply to 887 visa (PR), I have to live for at least 2 years and work full time for at least 1 year in a specified regional area. Therefore, I need to enter to Australia before 7th of September this year otherwise I will lose my right. Should I apply to travel exemption or do you think the goverment will do arrangements for people who is in my condition to be not aggrieved. There is still no clarity or information about the future of provisional visa holders like me. Currently I am in Turkey.

My second question is: Does Covid-19 concessions apply for my condition since I made my initial entry into Australia ? Here is the link https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/skilled-regional-887#Eligibility
In this case if I live 18 months in a specified regional area (not 24 months), can I still apply for PR ? Therefore instead of 7th of September 2021 do I have 6 more months for my deadline to enter which is 7th of March 2022 ?

Kind Ragards.
Koray

·
Registered
23,839 Posts
Can you share how long did it take to get your priority assessment?
Hi everyone,
First of all, I would like to thank you all for sharing your thoughts and concerns over this topic.
I have a similar condition. Let me try to explain it briefly.

I have a valid temporary visa (489 Visa, for Qeensland) which I granted on 7th of September 2019 and it’s length of stay until 7th of September 2023. However due to the Covid-19 closure and restrictions on the Australian Borders I can not enter to Australia since March 2020 (over a year). I made my initial entry into Australia on 20th of January. And I needed to go back to Turkey on 5th of March. In order to apply to 887 visa (PR), I have to live for at least 2 years and work full time for at least 1 year in a specified regional area. Therefore, I need to enter to Australia before 7th of September this year otherwise I will lose my right. Should I apply to travel exemption or do you think the goverment will do arrangements for people who is in my condition to be not aggrieved. There is still no clarity or information about the future of provisional visa holders like me. Currently I am in Turkey.

My second question is: Does Covid-19 concessions apply for my condition since I made my initial entry into Australia ? Here is the link https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/skilled-regional-887#Eligibility
In this case if I live 18 months in a specified regional area (not 24 months), can I still apply for PR ? Therefore instead of 7th of September 2021 do I have 6 more months for my deadline to enter which is 7th of March 2022 ?

Kind Ragards.
Koray
Unless you are in healthcare, you will probably not get an exemption
No harm in trying but don’t get your hopes up
You have lived in Australia for just 3 months so you cannot qualify for 887 under any present scheme
The best you can hope for is an extension of the 489 so that you get more time to fulfill the conditions
Cheers

·
Registered
9 Posts
Unless you are in healthcare, you will probably not get an exemption
No harm in trying but don’t get your hopes up
You have lived in Australia for just 3 months so you cannot qualify for 887 under any present scheme
The best you can hope for is an extension of the 489 so that you get more time to fulfill the conditions
Cheers
Thanks for your reply. Do you also know the answer of my second question ?
Kind Regards

·
Registered
23,839 Posts
Thanks for your reply. Do you also know the answer of my second question ?
Kind Regards
Your second question has no relevance
Once you are able to return, you will have to see what concessions the DHA will give the applicants
Cheers

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi everyone,
I saw a post this morning about a Telegram group started by few who are affected by the border closure. I think it is a great idea to support and share ideas in any platform for our common issue. I just joined the Telegram Group this morning. I realized that the post has been deleted by the administrator.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts