Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Starting a dedicated thread to discuss the predicament and also to post any updates about any new information from DoHA for the 489 provisional visa holders who are yet to make their Initial Entry into Australia owing to the border closures due to COVID.

My wife & I had received our 489 visas (South Australia) in December 2019 and were planning to move to Australia by June/July before Covid hit and have disrupted all plans. We have already lost a year and. couple of months due to this. The IED has been waived for all 489 holders, but there is still no clarity or information about the future of provisional visa holders like us who have a strict criteria of 2 years stay and 1 year work to meet before applying for a PR. Luckily we have time till December 2021 before our 2 year window expires, however there are many other Visa holders are in much more critical situation with the window expiring in few more days and not having done their Initial Entry, and few who might have already missed the 2 year window.

As of now, the DoHA has given some concessions for 887 applicants who have been caught in the middle of all this. All this info. can be read here

This thread is to discuss experience of 489 holders who have not yet made their Initial Entry. As of now, the DoHA is stern on their policy that no visa validities will be extended and if a Visa expires, a new one has to be lodged. However since the 489 visas have been rolled back and made way for 491, the situation is different for 489 holders. Only hope is they extend some sort of concession to the visa holders who had not had the chance to make their Initial Entry due to the pandemic. As and when new updates roll out for us 489 visa holders, please update it here.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey there! Thanks for setting up this thread. I am in the same situation as you, I was due to flight last to South Australia last year in June, but the borders closed only a few days before my flight. Having sold most things and with no place to stay, I moved back with my parents for a short period which as extended significantly. I am not very much doubtful that my dream to move to Australia will be a reality. I'd love to follow this thread for a glimmer of hope!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey there! Thanks for setting up this thread. I am in the same situation as you, I was due to flight last to South Australia last year in June, but the borders closed only a few days before my flight. Having sold most things and with no place to stay, I moved back with my parents for a short period which as extended significantly. I am not very much doubtful that my dream to move to Australia will be a reality. I'd love to follow this thread for a glimmer of hope!
Just hang in there for little while longer. Hopefully things will improve in the next 4-5 months as the covid vaccination kicks into high gear in Australia.

Cheers!

As far as I know borders are open for Australia citizens, PR holders, 489/491 holders. Isnt it? Although regulated but still have chance. Isnt it?
Only Citizens and PRs can enter Australia now. Provisional visa holders are not

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for starting this important thread.

My wife, son and I received our 489 visas on 28 October 2019. The plan was to move to South Australia in May-June 2020, depending on the sale of our house. As many others, we were not able to do travel, due to border closures. We are now living in our second temporary rental.

I'm getting very anxious because the time is ticking on our 2 year residency requirement to qualify for 887.

As mentioned earlier, some concessions have been made, but they do not affect people like us, who have not made our first entry as yet.

Let's hope there will be positive news on this in the near future, such as a 2 year residency requirement being lowered to 1.5 years.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for starting this important thread.

My wife, son and I received our 489 visas on 28 October 2019. The plan was to move to South Australia in May-June 2020, depending on the sale of our house. As many others, we were not able to do travel, due to border closures. We are now living in our second temporary rental.

I'm getting very anxious because the time is ticking on our 2 year residency requirement to qualify for 887.

As mentioned earlier, some concessions have been made, but they do not affect people like us, who have not made our first entry as yet.

Let's hope there will be positive news on this in the near future, such as a 2 year residency requirement being lowered to 1.5 years.
Hopefully things improve soon and the DoHA starts considering letting people in with all the safety measures in place. In a positive note, the first set of Pfizer vaccine has hit the Australian shore and vaccination of the priority group is expected to start next Monday. With the Oxford-AZN vaccine due for approval as well, things should get better in next 6-7 months.

Cheers!

·
Registered
7 Posts
The Australian parliament has instituted an inquiry into the country's skilled migration programme. It is possible to make a submission for the consideration of the committee.

I have just done so, proposing concessions for 489 visa holders who were unable to travel as a result of border closures to be able to apply for 887 visas even if they will not be able to meet the 2 year residency requirement. As an alternative I suggested extending the duration of these visas by the same amount of time that borders will be closed.

Please also feel free to make a submission to the committee, highlighting your circumstances as a result of border closures and making suggestions: Inquiry into Australia's skilled migration program – Parliament of Australia

·
Registered
142 Posts
Thanks for creating this Thread Jagornot!

Me and my fianceé are in the same situation as you guys! We received our 489 visa in 6th January 2020, and borders closed less than 30 days before our flight to Adelaide.
Even thou they start vaccinating people on monday, i don't believe they will start letting non-citizens in before the end of 2021 or beginning of 2022, unfortunately. Our last hope lies on those concession rules, they must include us in it, something must be done to repair future damages we might suffer from not being able to do our initial entry. I'm not so optmistic thou.

·
Registered
24,712 Posts
The Australian parliament has instituted an inquiry into the country's skilled migration programme. It is possible to make a submission for the consideration of the committee.

I have just done so, proposing concessions for 489 visa holders who were unable to travel as a result of border closures to be able to apply for 887 visas even if they will not be able to meet the 2 year residency requirement. As an alternative I suggested extending the duration of these visas by the same amount of time that borders will be closed.

Please also feel free to make a submission to the committee, highlighting your circumstances as a result of border closures and making suggestions: Inquiry into Australia's skilled migration program – Parliament of Australia
I personally feel that the validity of all visas will be extended by the period the borders are closed
Those who are onshore during the covid period, may not get any extension
Cheers

·
Registered
142 Posts
I personally feel that the validity of all visas will be extended by the period the borders are closed
Cheers
That would be the most fair solution, lets hope your intuition is correct! Tks NB!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I've submitted mine too. Thanks. Hopefully they take note of it.

Thanks for creating this Thread Jagornot!

Me and my fianceé are in the same situation as you guys! We received our 489 visa in 6th January 2020, and borders closed less than 30 days before our flight to Adelaide.
Even thou they start vaccinating people on monday, i don't believe they will start letting non-citizens in before the end of 2021 or beginning of 2022, unfortunately. Our last hope lies on those concession rules, they must include us in it, something must be done to repair future damages we might suffer from not being able to do our initial entry. I'm not so optmistic thou.
Hopefully vaccination picks up pace with the local production of the vaccine ramping up next month. Some noise is being made about the status of us provisional visa holders and it might finally reach the top ears. Let's wait and hope for some positive updates from the department.
Cheers
It's only fair if they did that, however in all their automated replies so far they have reiterated one point literally in bold text and that is "visa validity will not be extended" and that people with expired visas have to apply for fresh visas. The department has also issued some statement mentioning return of visa application money for some of the visa categories affected by border closure. Since 489 is no longer available, applying a fresh one means to go for 491 which has much stricter criteria to meet. Tough call.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've also written to a number of Australian parliamentarians, who are interested in migration issues. One of them suggested I contact the Minister to highlight the issue.

I have done so and please also feel free to do it here: Contact the Minister

I've written to both Peter Dutton (Minister of Home Affairs) and Alex Hawke (Minister for Immigration).

The more attention we can bring to this issue, the better.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've also written to a number of Australian parliamentarians, who are interested in migration issues. One of them suggested I contact the Minister to highlight the issue.

I have done so and please also feel free to do it here: Contact the Minister

I've written to both Peter Dutton (Minister of Home Affairs) and Alex Hawke (Minister for Immigration).

The more attention we can bring to this issue, the better.
Thanks. I also have done the same. I shall share it in the small 489 circle I part of, as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks. I also have done the same. I shall share it in the small 489 circle I part of, as well.
Glad we are working together to highlight our plight to Australian policymakers. Let's hope something positive comes out of it.

Given that the residency requirement was dropped from 24 months to 18 months for those who travelled offshore and were not able to come back, they will hopefully implement the same rule for people like us, who haven't even made their first entry yet.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Maybe we should raise a petition and send them, what do you think?
If i can help or contribute in any way please let me know.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Maybe we should raise a petition and send them, what do you think?
If i can help or contribute in any way please let me know.
I also thought about a petition, but international students did one, with thousands of signatures, and it didn't help much.

Have a look at the links I posted earlier in the thread. You can make a submission to the ongoing parliamentary inquiry into immigration and also write to the Minister.

Easy for a lone voice to get lost, but if different people start highlighting this issue, they might consider a change to the current regulations.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I am also in same situation. Granted 489 (Sponsored by NT Govt) in May2019 , Went to Darwin in Nov 2019 with Family for a week to complete IED formalities. I was planning to mover permanently on April-May 2020 but this COVID 19 happens and ruined all our lives.

I now need to be there before 27May 2021 to be able to complete the residency requirement of 2 years which I feel is not so promising .

So now the only hope is to wait for visa extension which i feel is the only logical/ethical expectation from AU Govt.

Feels cheated as we paid same visa fees as 189 or 190 visa holders but we are being treated so differently.

Regards
Ahmad

Reactions: primax

·
Registered
17 Posts
Im on same boat, I was supposed to flight on March 2019, but my flight was cancelled due to covid. I hope they will extend my 489visa a bit longer to compensate those wasted months or even years.

·
Banned
61 Posts
We have our flight tickets booked this July (we need to enter before November so we can fulfil the 2-year residency requirement before our visas expire in 2023).

Does anyone think temporary visa holders like 489 could be allowed to come to Australia by mid June 2021 (once this biosecurity travel ban is lifted)?

1 - 20 of 79 Posts