Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear All
If you can help me based on your experience with below 2 questions, I will very much appreciate it!
1. to meet the 2 years living in regional area requirement( for a 489, formerly knowns as 475 state sponsored visa), is one allowed to go back to the home country for a couple of weeks? a couple of months? Will those gaps be counted as 2 years serving time or does it needs to be added onto the 2 years?

2. Can the driver license the home country be used in Australia and for how long? I have been hearing different strories. someone said yes but only for 3 months, someone else said yes and for 3 years because 489 is a TR not PR, then there was another someone said yes for 3 months because although 489 is a TR, it is a TR intended for a PR so it is treated the same as a PR. which one is the real deal?

Thank you so much for reading this and look forward to hearing from you soon!

·
Registered
80 Posts
hi,
1) yes you can definitely travel to your home country for as long as you want, the requirement shall however increase by similar amount of time you spent abroad i.e 2 months in home country leads to requirement for 2 yrs going up by 2years+2 months.

2)According to VicRoads, you need to have Australian driver's license at most 6 months after you got your PR.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts