Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My question is about the 485 temporary graduate visa.

I have a dilemma right now and I hoped someone could help me.
Basically I am scheduled to complete my course in June 2016 (Bachelor Degree.) By the time I have my final results and could apply fot a 485 visa I would assume it would be after July (my student visa is valid until September 2016.)
However, I am aware that there will changes to immigration rules in July 2016. So basically, by the time I apply for the visa, I am worried that the rules will change and I will not fulfill the requirements anymore.

My thought was then to complete my course earlier. I could complete my course around February 2016 by doing extra units during summer. My dilemma is whether to do this, because AFAIK if I finish my course early there could be problems as well, e.g my student visa might be cancelled and I am not sure what effects this will have on my 485 application.

I am just hoping you could give me some advice on whether it would be smart to complete my course early or not. If the changes to immigration rules are advertised well in advance (say in the next 4 months) I might be able to delay the decision and see first if the changes affect my eligibility.

Hopefully you could give me your point of view.

Thank you very much!

·
Registered
35 Posts
There's no problem if you finished your course early. After you have received your last semester results, your course provider will notify DIBP, they will give you a couple of months to remain in Australia.

Note that they will not cancel your visa immediately after your course finishes, they will give your student visa a couple more months before it expires. You can apply 485 visa during this period and you will get Bridging visa A (BVA) automatically, which basically an extension of your student visa until the decision on the 485 visa is made. The processing time for 485 visa now is around 12 months, you have full work rights during this time. But if you want to travel overseas during this 12 months, you have to apply for Bridging Visa C on top of your BVA, this is important if you want to apply to citizenship later, as your bridging visa A will be cancelled if you travel overseas, so you need to apply for Bridging visa C if you want to travel.

For 485 visa, as long as you fulfill the 2-year Australian study requirement and completed your courses in at least 16 calendar months, you are eligible to apply. The 485 visa rule changes is very unlikely. DIBP will not apply it to current students, or they will have transition arrangement like they did in the past.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts