Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have just recently completed my master of business management degree at Griffith University on the Gold Coast and got my (qualifications only) skills assessment as a Business Analyst to apply for a 485 graduate work stream visa, only to find out that I wasn't eligible as my qualification is not on the SOL.

If I were to complete a graduate diploma (bachelor or higher required) in information technology, which is a one year course (I understand there is a 2 year study requirement), do you think I would qualify for the 485 visa by combining my Australian business degrees and graduate diploma in IT to qualify as an ICT Business Analyst (which is listed on the SOL), or would I have to complete a full 2 year masters degree in IT in order to qualify?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Hey guys,

I have just recently completed my master of business management degree at Griffith University on the Gold Coast and got my (qualifications only) skills assessment as a Business Analyst to apply for a 485 graduate work stream visa, only to find out that I wasn't eligible as my qualification is not on the SOL.

If I were to complete a graduate diploma (bachelor or higher required) in information technology, which is a one year course (I understand there is a 2 year study requirement), do you think I would qualify for the 485 visa by combining my Australian business degrees and graduate diploma in IT to qualify as an ICT Business Analyst (which is listed on the SOL), or would I have to complete a full 2 year masters degree in IT in order to qualify?
Just to my criousity, instead of doing another degree why arent you going for Post-Study Work stream where there is no such requirement of having the occupation in SOL list?.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry I forgot to mention that I started studying after 5 November 2011 and don't qualify for the post study work stream..

·
Registered
528 Posts
Sorry I forgot to mention that I started studying after 5 November 2011 and don't qualify for the post study work stream..
You mean to say BEFORE 5 Nov 2011??

Post-Study Work stream is only available to students who applied for, and were granted, their first student visa to Australia on or after 5 November 2011.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hey guys.. quick question here..

I held a 570 ELICOS student visa from November 20087 until July 2008 and then held the 572 VET student visa from July 2008 until June 2010 (which I requested to be cancelled since I left Australia in May 2010 after doing a fast-track to complete an Advanced Diploma in IT). Now I am back in Australia doing a Masters in IT with a new 573 student visa granted in February 2016 until April 2018. Once I complete my two years MIT program, would I be able to apply for the 485 visa post-study work stream?

Thanks for any information in advance.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Hey guys.. quick question here..

I held a 570 ELICOS student visa from November 20087 until July 2008 and then held the 572 VET student visa from July 2008 until June 2010 (which I requested to be cancelled since I left Australia in May 2010 after doing a fast-track to complete an Advanced Diploma in IT). Now I am back in Australia doing a Masters in IT with a new 573 student visa granted in February 2016 until April 2018. Once I complete my two years MIT program, would I be able to apply for the 485 visa post-study work stream?

Thanks for any information in advance.
Yes, you can unless you have a "no further stay" visa condition.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yes, you can unless you have a "no further stay" visa condition.
Well, if it si true then I am happy. I was quite confused with the term"first student visa" for cases like me specifically and I am glad I would be able to do the post-study work stream. Thanks for your answer.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Well, if it si true then I am happy. I was quite confused with the term"first student visa" for cases like me specifically and I am glad I would be able to do the post-study work stream. Thanks for your answer.
Sorry for crashing the party but the condition about first student visa is true. I totally missed it. Better check about this from DIBPI

But, I think First student visa applies incase you get extension on your visas onshore. Because, Post-Study Work stream is available for only those who were granted visa after complying GTE condition which was applied in Nov 2011. Since, you have reapplied the student visa after that and meet GTE condition, I think you should not have any issues. But, better check with DBIP.

Goodluck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello jfperez05

I was wondering if you could share with me you past situation in this matter. Were you granted a post study graduate visa, even when you obtained your first student visa (elicos) before the 5th of November 2011? What path did you take if you weren't granted one?

I appreciate any information as I found myself in this uncomfortable situation.

Thank you

Andres

1 - 9 of 9 Posts