Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi could anyone please help me on a 457 question.
My family and i spent 6 months in Australia last year on a 457 visa. Unfortunately we returned home thinking we were homesick.We have been trying to get back since, then this week my husbands ex-boss in oz has offered him his job back which is great and he is using agent again for our application. I know some rules have changed on 457 but not too sure what they are. Could anyone please enlighten us as we ae desperate to get back. Does my husband have to do any sort of assessment or test ? Does he have to have any qualifications as he does not have any. His trade is Building Associate. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hi Lisa:

If your husband resigned then he would need to get a new 457. I believe assessment is required for some skills and this is the link to go to:
Skills Assessment for Temporary Worker Visa - Overview

If your husband left without resigning and still had valid employment with his company (i.e. a leave of absence) then he could still be on his original 457.

I'm guessing the former, so it would be a new application.

My family and i spent 6 months in Australia last year on a 457 visa. Unfortunately we returned home thinking we were homesick.We have been trying to get back since, then this week my husbands ex-boss in oz has offered him his job back which is great and he is using agent again for our application. I know some rules have changed on 457 but not too sure what they are. Could anyone please enlighten us as we ae desperate to get back. Does my husband have to do any sort of assessment or test ? Does he have to have any qualifications as he does not have any. His trade is Building Associate. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Lisa:

If your husband resigned then he would need to get a new 457. I believe assessment is required for some skills and this is the link to go to:
Skills Assessment for Temporary Worker Visa - Overview

If your husband left without resigning and still had valid employment with his company (i.e. a leave of absence) then he could still be on his original 457.

I'm guessing the former, so it would be a new application.
Thank you for your prompt reply. Cannot find my husbands trade on list so hopefully he doesnt have to do assessment. Just found out from agent that it should be straight forward as we came home less than a year ago so we should not have too much paper work to do.Fingers crossed. Thanks Amaslam.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there
we have just moved to sydney on a 457 visa. The only thing we had to do was get health insurance before the visa was accepted, but the migration agent gave us a contact and we just had to supply a cover note. we didn't need any medicals. the agent said that this had just come into effect on the 14 september 2009. hope that helps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Bernie
Thanks for your advice. Great to know we dont have to fork out for medicals again. Only just started our application but hopefully my husband should be there for xmas. We are using same agent as last time so he has all our info. Fingers crossed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts