Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I have been offered a Lecturer position at a Queensland based university. The university has applied for sponsorship after its approval, I will have to apply for a 457 visa application.

I have a PhD in the relevant field and have experience of research and teaching.

Do I need to have my skills assessed via Vatassess?

I came across a link (I am not allowed to share it here), which mentions the countries and occupations that need their skills accessed.

I am from India which is on this list but my sponsored occupation University Lecturer (242111) is not.

So, the same question: Do I need to have my skills assessed via Vatassess?

Would really appreciate your help.
Thanks in Advance,

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi Vrije_nl,

skills assessment is only a must for trades occupations, the nomination from the university should be sufficient in your case as evidence of your skills. At the discretion of the case officer, you may still receive a request for skills assessment. To quote:

If your nominated occupation is in an occupation other than a trade occupation, you may be required to provide evidence of a suitable skills assessment from the relevant assessing authority for your nominated occupation.
Read the information on the 457 visa page and DIAC Booklet 9 for further details and to know what you get yourself into with a 457 visa ;). If you only plan to stay for a couple of years a 457 is perfectly fine but it has some downsides such as:
  • You are tied closely to your employer. You need to lodge a new visa application within 90 days after quitting or getting fired from a job to stay in Australia.
  • You have to pay for your own health insurance.
  • You may have to pay higher school and university fees for your kids in certain states.
  • It's more difficult to buy property etc.

If you plan to stay long-term, ask if the university would consider sponsoring you towards a permanent visa via the Employer Nomination Stream (ENS) - Direct Entry Stream straightaway. Otherwise you can also lodge an ENS application after two years with the uni on a 457.

Cheerio,
Monika

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Monika,

Thanks a lot for your reaction.

The university has offered for permanent options once I arrive there. But was not sure if the Skills Assessment was required.

So, unless the case officer decides, I will not need my skills assessed - as I gather.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Correct, you generally won't need skills assessment as University Lecturer for a 457 visa.

As to "The university has offered for permanent options once I arrive there" - take that with a grain of salt. Once you are there on the 457 they cannot sponsor you towards PR before you've been with them for 2 years. "University Lecturer" is currently not on the state migration plan for Queensland, so you cannot apply for a 190 PR visa by yourself either.

Either they sponsor you towards ENS now (which would require skills assessment) or they nominate your for a temporary 457 visa and - hopefully - sponsor you towards PR in two years.

Cheers,
Monika

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,

I was reading through the required documents list and found out that in Character Requirement it is mentioned that police certificate is required from each countries that I have lived in the last 10 years.

I have lived in 3 countries in past 10 years. Do I need certificate from all of these?

I would really appreciate if somebody can share his/her experience.

Regards...

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi Vrije_nl,

you need police certificates from all countries in which you lived for a total of 12 months (or more) during the last 10 years. If you lived in country <X> for half a year, you don't have to get PCC. If you lived there twice for a total period of a year or more, you do.

Details:How to obtain a police certificate

Cheers,
Monika

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is that really the case?

Some people told me that, in 457 visa the PCC may not be absolutely necessary. It will of course depend on the case officer, but in the document checklist for 457 visa, no mention of PCC is there.

Regards

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One more thing:

How long does it take for an employer to acquire the 457 Sponsorship?
The University that offered me a job said it would take 3 months in total: which means acquiring the sponsorship and the visa application.

Do people have similar experiences?

Regards...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts