Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am in the position now to apply for a 457 visa after finding a company they will sponsor me.

I was looking at applying for the visa myself but after looking at all the forms and and document requirments, I am not considering getting an agent to do this for me.

Has anyone else here done the application themselves and did you find it easy or has anyone got experiance of a good agent that they can recommend.

Also I have been reading up and a few things have changes recently mainly being the Medical Insurance requirement and the IELTS test.

Does being english and speaking it from the age of 2 mean I still have to take the test ?

Also I have read about if you are from england you can used the Medicare service under and agreement with the govenments. Is this correct.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hi ij:

You don't need an agent, but many companies provide one for the 457. Forms are quite straightforward. The Medical requirement for private insurance is there, but one thing you want to ask about is a reciprocal health agreement between the UK and Australia. I don't know if it covers hospitalisation only OR everything (GP visits, etc..

IELTS should not be needed if you had your schooling in the UK. Some people need it to get additional points.

Good luck in the app.

Hi All,

I am in the position now to apply for a 457 visa after finding a company they will sponsor me.

I was looking at applying for the visa myself but after looking at all the forms and and document requirments, I am not considering getting an agent to do this for me.

Has anyone else here done the application themselves and did you find it easy or has anyone got experiance of a good agent that they can recommend.

Also I have been reading up and a few things have changes recently mainly being the Medical Insurance requirement and the IELTS test.

Does being english and speaking it from the age of 2 mean I still have to take the test ?

Also I have read about if you are from england you can used the Medicare service under and agreement with the govenments. Is this correct.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi ij:

You don't need an agent, but many companies provide one for the 457. Forms are quite straightforward. The Medical requirement for private insurance is there, but one thing you want to ask about is a reciprocal health agreement between the UK and Australia. I don't know if it covers hospitalisation only OR everything (GP visits, etc..

IELTS should not be needed if you had your schooling in the UK. Some people need it to get additional points.

Good luck in the app.[

Thanks, thought that the IELTS was a standard requirement now for the 457 from what I have read.

Also do I still need all the police checks for the 457 am a little confused there seem to be so many different stories.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hi IJ:

You need police checks for 457 if you've had any previous convictions. Otherwise you don't.

IELTS could be something they added recently as that wasn't a requirement in the past (I did my 457 6 yrs ago and haven't been on that visa for the last (3) yrs).

Hi ij:

Good luck in the app.[

Thanks, thought that the IELTS was a standard requirement now for the 457 from what I have read.

Also do I still need all the police checks for the 457 am a little confused there seem to be so many different stories.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts