Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys
I've just come to Sydney on a 457(3yr) visa. I'm enjoying the country n my job.
I'd like to apply for my PR now n the owner of my company also said not to wait for 2 years n apply now if I want. It's basically my choice, apply now or wait 2 years, but I'm so confused rite now.
I've been working for the branch office of this company in Dubai for the last 15 odd years n now have come here to work for the main office. I have the experience in my field but no qualification on paper. I have my school certificates and a diploma in Ac and refrigeration which is useless coz that's no more my field of work. V r into the post tension field in the construction sector. What should I do? Will I get my PR if I apply now, is it difficult to apply? I have no clue.
Can some1 please tell me what's the rite thing to do.
I'm goin back in oct this year to bring my wife n daughter here. I just want to b sure I'm doin the rite thing. It's scary at time thinking what if I can't get my PR.... All this will b a waste
Please can some1 please show me the rite path
Thank u and warm regards
Joe

Sent from my iPhone using ExpatForum

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hi guys
I've just come to Sydney on a 457(3yr) visa. I'm enjoying the country n my job.
I'd like to apply for my PR now n the owner of my company also said not to wait for 2 years n apply now if I want. It's basically my choice, apply now or wait 2 years, but I'm so confused rite now.
I've been working for the branch office of this company in Dubai for the last 15 odd years n now have come here to work for the main office. I have the experience in my field but no qualification on paper. I have my school certificates and a diploma in Ac and refrigeration which is useless coz that's no more my field of work. V r into the post tension field in the construction sector. What should I do? Will I get my PR if I apply now, is it difficult to apply? I have no clue.
Can some1 please tell me what's the rite thing to do.
I'm goin back in oct this year to bring my wife n daughter here. I just want to b sure I'm doin the rite thing. It's scary at time thinking what if I can't get my PR.... All this will b a waste
Please can some1 please show me the rite path
Thank u and warm regards
Joe

If ur qualified right now, please apply for 175 / 176 visa now. check details on this forum on that visa & immigration website.

Otherwise After working for 2 years using 457 visa, you should be able to get PR using 121/856.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi
But that's what I can't figure out. What r the chances with my qualifications. I have the experience but is that enuf??
Thanks for ur reply
Really appreciate them
Joe

·
Registered
91 Posts
Joe,

Why do you feel the need to get PR right now when you have just arrived - we have been in Perth now for 16 months and I am more than happy to wait till the end of the year to get my Company Sponsorship. After having been with the same company for 15 years I think it highly unlikely that they are going to get rid of you in the next 2 years - sit back and enjoy the ride like us. If you wait the 2 years it is still not guaranteed - if you don't wait and do it now then you will have to do the Skills Assessment - not sure what happens if you fail it ?? Even with LAFHA finishing in 2 and a half months time we are still happy to wait till the end of this year - living in Perth passes so quick - we still can't believe it is 16 months already - I suppose it just depends what kind of person you are - take a Chill pill like us and everything will work out fine !!! TJ

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey thanks TJ
I'm not worried about my company as such. I know my boss for the last 15 odd years. He's a cool Aussie.
In fact he was saying y u wanna wait 2 yrs, just apply for PR now.
What my concern is I'm goin to get my family here in oct. wife will probably come n get herself a job n my daughter gets into school.
If for some reason after 2 yrs, say I apply n it's rejected then what do i do. V will all have to go back to india. That's my major concern. I think I can renew my 457 also. I'm just a bit confused n need some1 who has been through a similar situation to xplain the rite thing
But thanks TJ. Really helpful man
Cheers
Joe

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hey thanks TJ
I'm not worried about my company as such. I know my boss for the last 15 odd years. He's a cool Aussie.
In fact he was saying y u wanna wait 2 yrs, just apply for PR now.
What my concern is I'm goin to get my family here in oct. wife will probably come n get herself a job n my daughter gets into school.
If for some reason after 2 yrs, say I apply n it's rejected then what do i do. V will all have to go back to india. That's my major concern. I think I can renew my 457 also. I'm just a bit confused n need some1 who has been through a similar situation to xplain the rite thing
But thanks TJ. Really helpful man
Cheers
Joe

My advise why you tension now and waiting 2 years tension, God knows after 2 years maybe rules change cancel visa who knows da future then were u go and ur children where they go only tension.

Please check quickly if u r qualified for 175 or 176 , hire agent (george lombard he is the best) or check on this forum and immigration website to see if u meet enough points to qualify for 176 or 176 visa. I am sure you are qualified with so much experience and education, u know july 2012 is last date, plz don't delay no time . Always seize opportunity now don't think in da future. If ur not qualified then it is another story then u wait until 2 years and hopefully things work out.

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
I think the first step is to determine which PR visa you want to apply for. There are various routes to obtaining PR and it is important that you select the one that is most appropriate for you and where you additionally meet all the requirements.

In order to apply for a 175 or 176 visa, you will first need to make sure that your occupation is on the current SOL list. That would be the first thing that you would need to do before you even proceed any further.

I appreciate that you want to secure your future here and not have to deal with the hassles of visa renewal. On the basis that your employer managed to get you a 457, then you stand a good chance of being granted a 856 visa. Is your company not willing to sponsor you? If they are, this may be the simplest option, even if it means waiting a while. The 856 visa will be unaffected by the rule changes whereas the 175 and 176 visas will. Taking into consideration the amount of time that it takes to put together a visa application, I doubt that if you decide to apply for a 175/176 visa, you will be able to beat the rule changes. Your application will most likely be assessed against the new rules and there will be uncertainty there - you will only be able to lodge an application after receiving an invitation.

I would suggest that you speak to a migration agent. Their initial consultation is usually free and that will give you an idea of the options available to you. At the same time, it may be worthwhile to confirm with your boss whether the company will be willing to sponsor your PR in the future.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Joe,

From what I'm led to believe my company (A big well known one) will sponsor me at the end of this year and PR is a 90% given and never guaranteed. As you say I'll just get another 457 once this one is up if I don't get PR. I think the difference is that we are both older (52) and we are treating this as a big adventure - we still have our lives back in Glasgow, Scotland (Houses, cars, families etc) and can go back to it in less than 21 hours - and that's what makes it work for us. PR for us is a nice to have and we are more happy to live the dream than have a bit of paper which means we can't get thrown out of the country !! TJ

·
Registered
13 Posts
457 still valid if PR failed?

If u applied for PR and got rejected, u will still remain in your current 457 isn't it, (correct me if i am wrong) ?
If u have enough points, no harm trying i think....

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
If u applied for PR and got rejected, u will still remain in your current 457 isn't it, (correct me if i am wrong) ?
If u have enough points, no harm trying i think....
Yes, that's correct, your 457 visa will be unaffected if your PR application is refused.

Whilst I would agree that there is no harm trying, the rules are changing in July and there is simply not enough time left for anyone to get a skills assessment done, do their IELTS test. collect the mountain of paperwork and evidence required and finally lodge an application.

If the option of getting an employer to sponsor you is there, then I would say that this is the safest and easiest option. Employer sponsored visas will be unaffected by the rule changes whereas independent GSM visas will - there is no guarantee that you would get an invitation to lodge an application, whereas with employer sponsorship, you can bypass this obstacle.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes, that's correct, your 457 visa will be unaffected if your PR application is refused.

Whilst I would agree that there is no harm trying, the rules are changing in July and there is simply not enough time left for anyone to get a skills assessment done, do their IELTS test. collect the mountain of paperwork and evidence required and finally lodge an application.

If the option of getting an employer to sponsor you is there, then I would say that this is the safest and easiest option. Employer sponsored visas will be unaffected by the rule changes whereas independent GSM visas will - there is no guarantee that you would get an invitation to lodge an application, whereas with employer sponsorship, you can bypass this obstacle.
Yup, that's why I've just submitted my PR 175 application 2 weeks ago... working on it now... I was thinking it would be hassle waiting for employer to sponsor cause by the time paper work done might close to July 2012. Didnt know that employer sponsored PR is not affected....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow Maz
Great info
My company is willing to sponsor me. There's no issue with that. My boss even said that u will only GO BACK IF U WANT TO. So I'm certain they'll do all it takes. I have an appointment with George lombard for next week, it's not free but I don't mind paying the fees to know where I stand.
U guys are really great. Thanks so much.
Any other comments is appreciated
Thanks n best regards
Joe

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have just submitted my ESPR with 10 months remaining on my 457, I am 53...for reasons unknown to me my application first went to Migration WA for them to give my current role (Civil Eng Project Manager) their stamp of approval, this was received approx two weeks ago.
As I work for local Government my employers are using the Western Australia Local Government Association to handle all of the process on their behalf, initially I was told the whole thing should take approx 3 months given the relationship WALGA has with the Department of Immigration however I am now advised that it could take up to 8 months which is cutting it a bit fine....I would therefore not tend to sit back for too long before taking the big step...Anyhow I'll try and keep the forum updated with my progress, so watch this space!!!

Cheers

Colin.

·
Registered
133 Posts
You dont need to wait for 2 years to apply for ENS (856). As its one of the 3 route to ENS. I suggest you can use the 3rd route (for ENS 856) which is

3. have had your skills assessed as suitable by the relevant skills assessing authority and, unless exceptional circumstances apply, have at least three years full-time work experience in the occupation before the visa application is lodged. A list of assessing bodies can be found in the Employer Nomination Scheme Occupation List (ENSOL).
(Employer Nomination Scheme (Subclass 121/856))

After 1st July 2012 there will be some changes in 856 - please check below link ;
http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/_pdf/perm-sponsored-reforms.pdf
Employer Nomination Scheme (subclass 186)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi,

I just got my 457 visa and am thinking of applying for PR too.
Does it cost the company anything to sponsor for my PR?
Any downside of asking the company for sponsor instead of applying by myself?
Please kindly advise:)
Migration agent fees it will cost around $7~10K. And please note, you are not going to pay full amount in one go. Usually, the amount it splits to 3 (based on my case);
1st - 25% payment prior to employer nomination
2nd - 50% payment prior to lodge your application
3rd - 25% after application lodged

If your employer agreed to sponsor your nomination - there few options you can request ;

1. Employer nominates you as their visa sponsor - all cost will be borne by yourself
2. Employer nominates - cost split in half
3. Employer nominates - cost fully borne by employer (maybe with 2/3 years bonded to work for them)

Good luck...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.