Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys
Just came to Sydney on a 3 year 457 work visa.
I would like to know if I or my company can apply for pr rite away. They will do it if I ask, but I would like to know if it's possible to apply straight away. Enjoying the place.
Best regards
Joe

Sent from my iPhone using ExpatForum

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi Joe,

I am in the same position as you and my company has told me that they have to wait the statutory 2 years working with them till they can sponsor me for PR - maybe someone could confirm this !! I believe there is nothing to stop you applying separately for PR but if you are claiming LAFHA then that would stop once you apply - LAFHA stops in just over 3 months time - so depending on your circumstances you will have to make a decision based on that. I also believe that Company sponsored PR can take as little as 2 months whereas if you apply yourself it can take up to 12 months to get it !! I'm sure more Senior expats on here will confirm or comment on this.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi mate
Well if it can be done I don't mind forfeiting the Lafha. And my company certainly would not have an issue applying for my PR. I just don't know if it's allowed.
Please please can some1 comment on our situation
Joe

G

·
There is no satutory 2 years. You can apply when you want, but if you wait 2yrs you don't have to do skills assessment. I wouldn't factor LAFHA in to it at all as from July it won't be available for 457 holders anyway.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info Shel, so that means if my company or me apply after 2 yrs, I'll get the PR? Without a problem, coz my qualification is not very high but I have 16 yrs of experience in Dubai and I came here 2 weeks ago n working with the same company who has a branch in Dubai where I worked for 14 years. Like a transfer sort of thing. I was just wondering if it will be better to apply now as such. Thanks once again n please reply to my query
Regards
Joe

G

·
I wont say you would get it without a problem because there is other criteria to meet from you and the sponsoring employer. But you wont need to do the skills assessment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.