Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently negotiating with my company to sponsor me for PR as soon as I come to Melbourne on 457. I am with the company more than 10 years so this is my argument for the conversion. Nevertheless, so far HR hasn’t been so responsive on immediate sponsorship (seems not the current policy) and they are saying that sponsorship can be done after 2 years !

I want to acquire PR as early possible in case of any new rules etc. and eventually get the nationality after 4 years. Can someone please help to understand:

1. If I get sponsorship after 2 years only from my company; do I still need 4 odd years to become eligible for nationality? (my understanding is that one has to spend total 4 years in the country, out of which 1 year should be under PR)
2. What if I immediately apply for PR once I arrive, based on my own skill (not depending on my company to sponsor me); how much time it can take to get PR?
3. Any other concerns/issue/important points to be aware of if I go ahead applying for PR on my own?

Appreciate your help

·
Registered
91 Posts
Fireblade,

I think it is HR policy that you have to be in Australian employment for 2 years before your company will sponsor you for PR - that's what my company are doing with us. There is nothing to stop you applying for it yourself especially as LAFHA is finishing in 4 weeks and there's no cash benefit anymore !! Be aware that I believe doing it yourself can take 12-15 months with you having to do a Skills Assessment against your company sponsoring you in 4-6 weeks with no Skills Assessment. Also who is paying for the sponsorship - as I believe it can cost $6 - $8k fees for a couple - the final decision is with you !! TJ

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fireblade,

I think it is HR policy that you have to be in Australian employment for 2 years before your company will sponsor you for PR - that's what my company are doing with us. There is nothing to stop you applying for it yourself especially as LAFHA is finishing in 4 weeks and there's no cash benefit anymore !! Be aware that I believe doing it yourself can take 12-15 months with you having to do a Skills Assessment against your company sponsoring you in 4-6 weeks with no Skills Assessment. Also who is paying for the sponsorship - as I believe it can cost $6 - $8k fees for a couple - the final decision is with you !! TJ
So its a kinda standard HR policy around :confused:

I am not clear which sponsorship you are referring to for $6-7K; self or company?

In both scenarios for PR; the overall time to get nationality remains 4 odd years, right?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Fireblade,

Yes - it seems to be fairly standard Australian HR policy

The $6 - $7k is for employee and employer costs - check with your company if they will pay the PR costs if they sponsor you !!

The 4 year period inc 1 yr PR is standard and you will not get your Citizenship any quicker - unless they change the rules in that period !!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fireblade,

Yes - it seems to be fairly standard Australian HR policy

The $6 - $7k is for employee and employer costs - check with your company if they will pay the PR costs if they sponsor you !!

The 4 year period inc 1 yr PR is standard and you will not get your Citizenship any quicker - unless they change the rules in that period !!
Many thanks Teejay :)

G

·
Permenant Residence as opposed to TR Temporary Residence. PR allows you to stay in the country forever and apply for citizenship when eligible. TR does not, you must leave the country when your visa ends if you are not eligible for another visa.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One of the guy I know is styding in Melbourne (and working as per allowed law for students), he is planning to apply for PR via skill assesment (he is styding a specic course which is in the list of required professions) … he told me that according to new rules, he can only apply for PR from his home country Pakistan (i.e. he’ll have to go back after studies and submit the application and wait for his turn) ! Obviously he is not on 457 visa

The question is that does this same rule apply in my case too when I’ll be on 457 visa (i.e. PR application can only be submitted from back home) if I have to put application for PR on my own via skill assessment while being in Melbourne …. Or can I apply for PR while working and living there?

Secondly, my wife won’t get enough points for skill assessment, I assume she can be added as dependent under my application for PR, right?

Thanks for your feedback, sorry I am just confused here and hasn’t been able to find clear answers

G

·
Not sure the information about only being able to apply from home country is correct. Yes some visas are offshore visas and you get no bridging visa but you can apply onshore. And their are onshore visas that do give bridging visas.

Yes your wife would be a dependent in your application but you get no points and have to find points elsewhere if you need them. Your wife would need to meet english language requirements or you pay an extra fee.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not sure the information about only being able to apply from home country is correct. Yes some visas are offshore visas and you get no bridging visa but you can apply onshore. And their are onshore visas that do give bridging visas.

Yes your wife would be a dependent in your application but you get no points and have to find points elsewhere if you need them. Your wife would need to meet english language requirements or you pay an extra fee.
Thanks Shel :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Which is the visa catergory (for PR) I can apply while on 457

Thanks Shel :)
Thanks for this thread.

Fireblade - Our Situations are similar , my Hubby and I will be there in Melbourne on a 457 in August. This is a new employment for him unlike yours, and if we like the country we plan to apply for PR sooner than two years. As Shel mentioned there are onshore visas , but would you know which are those onshore visa which allows you to apply while on a 457.

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
457 to PR

Hi, i was in the same prediciment as yourself. I am currently going through a business sponsorship for PR subclass 856. I have been working under a 457 and on the anniversary of the second year you are eligible to go for PR under employee sponsorship. All this talk of HR policies is made up. These are Australian Government rules.

Options

1 Go for PR on your own immediately through skills sponsorship. Beware this is extensive and can take a lot of time. For example i am in sales and marketing and the testing on skills can take longer than two years. If you have a trade then thats a different story.

2 Work for your employer for 2 years and get them to sponsor you like i did. I even managed to get them to pay for it with is coming to approx 9k. This is including 4.5k from Fragomen the managing agent.( i would suggest you invest the money as i have heard horror stories of trying to get PR on your own)

3 If you change job you need to work for your present employer for at least one year before applying for PR. For example i got offered a job 18 months into my current employment and if i took this other job then it would have been two and half years before i could have went for PR.....hence the reason i stayed put.

From when you land in the country the clock starts ticking for citizenship. It is not 4yrs from PR however i think you are correct, you need to have been PR for a year at minimum.(you would need to check that out)

When i first arrived it was all about getting citizenship but you need to be patient, especially in this country. I would advise if its worth anything to get in, settle in, get used to the culture change, get to know your marketplace and before you know it Boom, 2 yrs have gone.

I expect my PR will be through sometime soon so its easier for me to say having done two years but i wish you all the luck and hope you get what you came for.

Ps if you call DIAC on 131 881. They are excellent with any query.

or google DIAC and follow the prompts

All the best with it all.

Al

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi, i was in the same prediciment as yourself. I am currently going through a business sponsorship for PR subclass 856. I have been working under a 457 and on the anniversary of the second year you are eligible to go for PR under employee sponsorship. All this talk of HR policies is made up. These are Australian Government rules.

Options

1 Go for PR on your own immediately through skills sponsorship. Beware this is extensive and can take a lot of time. For example i am in sales and marketing and the testing on skills can take longer than two years. If you have a trade then thats a different story.

2 Work for your employer for 2 years and get them to sponsor you like i did. I even managed to get them to pay for it with is coming to approx 9k. This is including 4.5k from Fragomen the managing agent.( i would suggest you invest the money as i have heard horror stories of trying to get PR on your own)

3 If you change job you need to work for your present employer for at least one year before applying for PR. For example i got offered a job 18 months into my current employment and if i took this other job then it would have been two and half years before i could have went for PR.....hence the reason i stayed put.

From when you land in the country the clock starts ticking for citizenship. It is not 4yrs from PR however i think you are correct, you need to have been PR for a year at minimum.(you would need to check that out)

When i first arrived it was all about getting citizenship but you need to be patient, especially in this country. I would advise if its worth anything to get in, settle in, get used to the culture change, get to know your marketplace and before you know it Boom, 2 yrs have gone.

I expect my PR will be through sometime soon so its easier for me to say having done two years but i wish you all the luck and hope you get what you came for.

Ps if you call DIAC on 131 881. They are excellent with any query.

or google DIAC and follow the prompts

All the best with it all.

Al

Hi Stewart,

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Good Luck and hope that you get your PR soon. I understand now that the rules have changed since July 2012. From now on in order to apply for PR from 457, you would need to work for an Australian employer for at least two years to be eligible for PR.This link documents the changes .

Permanent Employer-Sponsored Visa Program Reforms

As for me , I arrive in September this year and 2 years is a distant horizon. I dont know how many rules will change by then.

Thansk again and good luck

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Stewart,

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Good Luck and hope that you get your PR soon. I understand now that the rules have changed since July 2012. From now on in order to apply for PR from 457, you would need to work for an Australian employer for at least two years to be eligible for PR.This link documents the changes .

Permanent Employer-Sponsored Visa Program Reforms

As for me , I arrive in September this year and 2 years is a distant horizon. I dont know how many rules will change by then.

Thansk again and good luck
Ohhhhhh no ... here goes my hope to get PR via Employer earlier than 2 years :(

Even though I am with the company 10+ years, but for sure it won’t count as I wasn’t working in Australian office.

Now I am coming on 457 and going to apply via Skilled Migration Program on my own ASAP (in 6 months max). It would cost me a bit plus would be lot of hassle but no other way to get PR before 2 years. Who knows what more changes would come in coming years :confused2:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Ohhhhhh no ... here goes my hope to get PR via Employer earlier than 2 years :(

Even though I am with the company 10+ years, but for sure it won’t count as I wasn’t working in Australian office.

Now I am coming on 457 and going to apply via Skilled Migration Program on my own ASAP (in 6 months max). It would cost me a bit plus would be lot of hassle but no other way to get PR before 2 years. Who knows what more changes would come in coming years :confused2:
Fireblade, that is unfortunate...:confused2:
Has your 457 been filed or you have already received it. If udid , how long did it take?

We are in the process, seeming totake longer than expected....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Fireblade, that is unfortunate...:confused2:
Has your 457 been filed or you have already received it. If udid , how long did it take?

We are in the process, seeming totake longer than expected....
I am in the process of getting a business visa to make a quick trip next month; once business visa is stamped then my 457 would be applied otherwise I won't be able to make a short trip. What I was told that 457 can take 2-3 months

How long is already your 457 being processed?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I am in the process of getting a business visa to make a quick trip next month; once business visa is stamped then my 457 would be applied otherwise I won't be able to make a short trip. What I was told that 457 can take 2-3 months

How long is already your 457 being processed?

We were told it takes 3-4 weeks. We started on the process last week. Havent heard back as yet.. I doubt wether we can make it as per what the agent stated.

Also i am not sure if u can apply on the skilled migration program while on a 457 visa in Australia. Like I said i am not sure, maybe u need to check that out.
Keep us posted on what u find out. Good Luck

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We were told it takes 3-4 weeks. We started on the process last week. Havent heard back as yet.. I doubt wether we can make it as per what the agent stated.

Also i am not sure if u can apply on the skilled migration program while on a 457 visa in Australia. Like I said i am not sure, maybe u need to check that out.
Keep us posted on what u find out. Good Luck
What I understood I can apply for Skilled Migration on & off shore Australia ... why do you think you are not sure? :confused:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.