Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am currently in Australia with 457 Visa by a sponsor.
I got a new job a new employer who will be doing a Visa transfer. Any ideas how long it takes for 457 visa transfer to happen?
I have been asked by the new employer to resign and serve my notice while the transfer happens, I am not sure how long the process takes hence I am a bit hesitant. I don't want to be unemployed if the process takes longer than 3 weeks(that is my notice period).
Any help\information\ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for you help.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Hi All,

I am currently in Australia with 457 Visa by a sponsor.
I got a new job a new employer who will be doing a Visa transfer. Any ideas how long it takes for 457 visa transfer to happen?
I have been asked by the new employer to resign and serve my notice while the transfer happens, I am not sure how long the process takes hence I am a bit hesitant. I don't want to be unemployed if the process takes longer than 3 weeks(that is my notice period).
Any help\information\ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for you help.
There is no need for you to resign during the transfer process. In fact I would strongly recommend against it because if the transfer is delayed or is rejected, you would be without a sponsor or a job, and a good chance needing to leave the country.

You can wait until the new nomination is approved, then resign and work your notice period (this is allowed even after the nomination is transferred) and then start with your new employer.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is no need for you to resign during the transfer process. In fact I would strongly recommend against it because if the transfer is delayed or is rejected, you would be without a sponsor or a job, and a good chance needing to leave the country.

You can wait until the new nomination is approved, then resign and work your notice period (this is allowed even after the nomination is transferred) and then start with your new employer.
Thank you Maggie.
After thinking hard I came to the same conclusion as you stated above.

I have two queries though when we are in Australia on 457 are we governed with the employment law of Australia(like the time for notice period) or one will have to follow the notice period and other regulations that is followed in the employers home country(in some cases it is 3 months :eek: :x).
Once the 457 has been transferred can the current employer force someone to leave Australia?

I don't know whether those are specific questions that might vary from employer to employer or they are generic and governed by some rules.

Thanks in advance :).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi Pinku,

Has your 457 Nomination transfer lodged? If yes, have you got the new VISA yet? Please advise.

Regards,
Srujan

·
Registered
577 Posts

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
If we approach any consultancy would it be possible to get 457 visa if they arrange any sponsor from Australian employer....
Unless you have niche skills, your chances of having an Australian company employ you from overseas based on a cold-call are pretty slim IMO.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.