Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am the secondary applicant on my husbands 457 visa. I have been working on a casual basis with the Same company for 16 months. They have now offered me a full time permanent position done the medical & police check getting ready for the paperwork to be sorted then suddenly there now saying they can't take me on full time because I'm on a visa. Does anyone know where I can find information stating that I can legally work full time it only says on immigration website that I can work.

Many thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi Bizbomb,

I could not dig up anything that says: "Secondary applicant can work without restrictions" but DIBP Booklet 9 states on page 43 which conditions apply to your visa. They should also be able to verify your status with VEVO although the conditions won't show up. Your visa grant notice should also list all conditions.

The main problem that your prospective employer has is that if your partner were to lose his job, your visa would also expire within 90 days. Although you can work full time in any job you please (that does not require you to have PR/citizenship) that dependence on your partner's visa (and job) can make you a less attractive candidate.

All the best,
Monika

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your help. They have taken previous staff on a temporary visa before just thought that would be one of the first things they would of looked into. Also there wiling to offer me a 12 month contract through there recruitment department.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi Bizbomb,

just make sure to mention that the new limit is 90 days instead of 28 days (they changed that recently). If your partner lost his job your employer would still have a 3-month warning period to either a) sponsor you on a 457 or other visa or b) find a replacement. That may work in your favor and make them more ready to sign you on.

All the best,
Monika

1 - 5 of 5 Posts