Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

throwaway account as I do not want to leave any trace.

Bit of background, I arrived (with wife and two boys) 4 months ago on a "Cafe or Restaurant Manager" 457 visa.

Do not give me wrong, I am extremely grateful that my current employer has given me the opportunity to move to Australia and decided to employed me from oversea. However, the atmosphere within the work place is toxic and I am now considering my options for two reasons.

1) The plan was to apply for Permanent Residency after completed two years of employments - and I am not quite sure I will be able to work 20 more months like that.

2) The change of law regarding the 457 and the possibility to apply for PR after the two completed years.

So now, time for the question.

If I was able to find another position as cafe/restaurant manager with a company able to sponsor me, how does it work? Is it just a case of giving my notice and leave my new employer to fulfil a tone of paperwork?

According to a migration agent I used for the 457 visa (do not have a lot of faith in her) the gouvernement is supposed to pass a law in March 2018 to validate the fact the 457 visa holder prior to the changed law are under the older regime, and therefore able to apply to a PR after the two completed years. She told me that it wasn't sure that amendement or law will pass and that I would be better to apply directly to a 189 directly (charging me $5,000 as well).

Any comments appreciated.

·
Registered
23,899 Posts
Hello all,

throwaway account as I do not want to leave any trace.

Bit of background, I arrived (with wife and two boys) 4 months ago on a "Cafe or Restaurant Manager" 457 visa.

Do not give me wrong, I am extremely grateful that my current employer has given me the opportunity to move to Australia and decided to employed me from oversea. However, the atmosphere within the work place is toxic and I am now considering my options for two reasons.

1) The plan was to apply for Permanent Residency after completed two years of employments - and I am not quite sure I will be able to work 20 more months like that.

2) The change of law regarding the 457 and the possibility to apply for PR after the two completed years.

So now, time for the question.

If I was able to find another position as cafe/restaurant manager with a company able to sponsor me, how does it work? Is it just a case of giving my notice and leave my new employer to fulfil a tone of paperwork?

According to a migration agent I used for the 457 visa (do not have a lot of faith in her) the gouvernement is supposed to pass a law in March 2018 to validate the fact the 457 visa holder prior to the changed law are under the older regime, and therefore able to apply to a PR after the two completed years. She told me that it wasn't sure that amendement or law will pass and that I would be better to apply directly to a 189 directly (charging me $5,000 as well).

Any comments appreciated.
Whether you can apply for PR or not after working for 2 years depends on your Anzsco code and whether you were granted the 457 before or after 19th April 2017

If you want to change employers, then your new employer has to get himself and your name approved and then you have to file the application
Basically it will be exactly the same as you did when you applied for the existing 447 visa

For filing 189 go through this thread and see if you are eligible

http://www.expatforum.com/expats/au...-190-sol-csol-what-1st-thing-i-should-do.html

It's simple process
The members here will help yiu if yiu are stuck
No need to pay 5,000$

Cheers

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply.

The Anzco code is 141111 and yes the 457 was granted prior to April 2017.

Was reading about changing 457 sponsored employer, is the application process any quicker than a visa application? Baring in mind that my visa application took more than 60 days to be granted, would that mean that we will have to leave the country if no answer is received within the 60 days?

·
Registered
23,899 Posts
Thank you for your reply.

The Anzco code is 141111 and yes the 457 was granted prior to April 2017.

Was reading about changing 457 sponsored employer, is the application process any quicker than a visa application? Baring in mind that my visa application took more than 60 days to be granted, would that mean that we will have to leave the country if no answer is received within the 60 days?
You can start the process even without resigning from the old job
Once you get the new 457, then resign

Of course your new employer has to agree

Do recheck again. I am sure you are allowed to apply even while working

Cheers

·
Registered
18 Posts
Applying while still working, my concern would be that my current employer would find out by receiving communication from the visa office, wouldn't they?

The last thing I would want you is that they find out by someone else than me - I think they deserve honesty.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts