Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. Can anyone viewing this thread take the time to tell me HOW you found a sponsor.
We are looking at the Seek website everyday but at the bottom of every posting it cleary states "you must have the right to live and work in this country". I've even seen companies say "Only Australian Citizens can apply"

It is so frustrating. Is there another web page we should be visiting daily.

I know there are people who go to Oz on a holiday,with the intention of finding work, but this is illegal and I'm not prepared to do that.

What is your advice? We would appreciate whatever you can suggest.

J.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi Jeanette,

I can understand where your coming from !!! Its quite frustrating to keep looking at jobs and see the small little caption. While going through the job description you have that smile which says " This could be me " but Alas :confused2: that little caption that monster - You have to have :mad:the right to live and work in this region.

I am not sure if I can help you with this but I can share my experience. My Hubby's bosses moved to Australia ( or should I say ex bossess) in 2010. Soon enough my hubby wasnt enjoying work here in germany and sent out a note to his ex bossess some time in mid 2011. Nothing happened for many months after that.... In nov 2011 they got in touch and we hope to have an offer in the next two weeks for a 457.

If you have former contacts and reference who can link you to prospective employers , that is the best bet . Btw are you on a niche skill set . That would determine a lot of things? All I can say keep searching - NEVER SAY NEVER. you never know when you will find the right one .:)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Xyala,

Thanks for taking the time to write to me. I really appreciate it and I certainly think things will come right for you - it sounds very promising and it's just a question of patience now.

This forum is just so unbelievable. It's heartwarming how strangers are prepared to help oneanother in the quest for a better life.

All we can do is to keep trying.

Regards,
J.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi Xyala,

Thanks for taking the time to write to me. I really appreciate it and I certainly think things will come right for you - it sounds very promising and it's just a question of patience now.

This forum is just so unbelievable. It's heartwarming how strangers are prepared to help oneanother in the quest for a better life.

All we can do is to keep trying.

Regards,
J.
Thanks for your response Jeanette. Yes indeed this site is awesome. I have been lurking around and benefited so much from reading especially about Melbourne and the 457.I think its only fair that I pay back in my own little way and with the limited knowledge that I have. Cheers... Hope you get something soon.

·
Registered
137 Posts
What line of work are you looking for? It may be as well to go directly to company websites recruitment pages, I work in Local Government, I trawled through all of the website looking for a suitable role and applied got an interview and was offered the job and a 457 visa, I have now been here just over three years and just got PR....Hope that helps in some small way?

Cheers

Colin...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Jeanette

I applied for a job advertised by a company via seek.com.au. They offered the job and sponsored the family migration with 457.

Mostly company that practices Equal Employment Opportunity will consider all applications. I normally ignore the fine captions when apply for the job.

If you have the skills they want - you will get the job. Stay positive and keep trying.

Planit states in their website they willing to sponsor 457.
Planit rewards

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jeanette

I applied for a job advertised by a company via seek.com.au. They offered the job and sponsored the family migration with 457.

Mostly company that practices Equal Employment Opportunity will consider all applications. I normally ignore the fine captions when apply for the job.

If you have the skills they want - you will get the job. Stay positive and keep trying.

Planit states in their website they willing to sponsor 457.
Planit rewards

Thank you Mahisasuran. We'll just need to keep trying. The frustrating thing is that we had everything in place last year, 457 granted, house sold, boxes packed, removal company ready to collect etc., etc. We had even secured a lovely rental property prior to our arrival and were paying rent just to be sure that we had something to move in to..... and then three weeks before our flights we had a family crises and had to let the employer know that we couldn't come. Now here we are (with many regrets) and having to start the whole process over again. In my head I don't think we will get that golden opportunity again.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What line of work are you looking for? It may be as well to go directly to company websites recruitment pages, I work in Local Government, I trawled through all of the website looking for a suitable role and applied got an interview and was offered the job and a 457 visa, I have now been here just over three years and just got PR....Hope that helps in some small way?

Cheers

Colin...
Hello Colin, thanks for taking the time to reply and congrats on your PR. Our children are in Queensland so ideally we would like to be close to them. We also had the opportunity last year and circumstances didn't allow us to follow through. (I've related the whole sorry tale to another forumite on this thread).

I did all the website research then, but subsequently deleted it all from my computer. I deleted EVERYTHING that would remind me of our lost opportunity.

I wish you well and appreciate that you talk to a complete stranger.

J.

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
Thank you Mahisasuran. We'll just need to keep trying. The frustrating thing is that we had everything in place last year, 457 granted, house sold, boxes packed, removal company ready to collect etc., etc. We had even secured a lovely rental property prior to our arrival and were paying rent just to be sure that we had something to move in to..... and then three weeks before our flights we had a family crises and had to let the employer know that we couldn't come. Now here we are (with many regrets) and having to start the whole process over again. In my head I don't think we will get that golden opportunity again.
Have you considered getting back in touch with the company that initially offered to sponsor you? I know that we all have this idea in our heads that they would not be interested but you won't know until you've tried. The original position might have been filled but there may be new and better opportunities and positions that may still be suitable for you.

Other than that, just keep trying. Most of the positions on seek have that little disclaimer at the bottom but there is no harm in sending out your cv still. Target companies directly as well. It is a long process but patience and hard work eventually pay off.

As someone else has rightly said, network, network and then network some more.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have you considered getting back in touch with the company that initially offered to sponsor you? I know that we all have this idea in our heads that they would not be interested but you won't know until you've tried. The original position might have been filled but there may be new and better opportunities and positions that may still be suitable for you.

Other than that, just keep trying. Most of the positions on seek have that little disclaimer at the bottom but there is no harm in sending out your cv still. Target companies directly as well. It is a long process but patience and hard work eventually pay off.

As someone else has rightly said, network, network and then network some more.

Best of luck!
Thank you Maz. Yes we did write to the company again but the position had been filled. They did say that they would keep us in mind but I think they were just being polite.

I am SO angry with how things worked out for us. I really doubt whether we would get it right again and believe that we are only keeping the wound open. My husband is now 66. It was a miracle that he got the 4 year 457.

J.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.