Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

457 as pathway to permanent residency??

9K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  zooter80 
#1 ·
Hi there, can anyone help with my question. I am looking to permanently relocate to Oz and applied for a non csl/non Modl 175 visa last May. Due to 3yr wait etc I have been looking for a job offering sponsorship to speed things up. I have just been offered a job with sponsorship but they have said specifically on a 457 visa. Does anyone know why they would want to do this as opposed to a permanent sponsored visa? Is this more straight forward? And most importantly, once I've been in Oz for 2yrs on this 457 visa can I apply for permanent residency??

#2 ·
A 457 processes quicker than a PR visa and also ties you to the company (if you lose your job you would need to leave AU). In 2 yrs you can apply for a PR if you are seeking employer sponsorship or apply for a independent PR the day you arrive in AU as well (a regular 175/176).

#4 ·
ENS does take a few months and has a more extensive medical, 457 can be done within a few weeks. The visa to apply for after a PR is a 856 after the two year wait. Once you have an ENS you are not tied to the employer (although if you leave shortly after getting an ENS many employers ask you to pay the visa processing expenses of the ENS they incurred, it's usually spelled out when you ask for an ENS).

#6 ·
Hi Tracey:

I think you have to be assessed for skill if applying before (2) yrs. The (2) yr wait is one of the (3) possible requirements:

From the Immi page:
Employer Nomination Scheme (Subclass 121/856)

You must also meet one of the following requirements:

• have worked full-time in Australia in the nominated occupation on a Subclass 418, 421, 422, 428, 444, 457 or 461 temporary residence visa for the last two years prior to the visa application being made (including at least the last 12 months with the nominating employer)
  • have been nominated to fill a highly paid senior executive position with a salary of more than $165 000 per annum (excluding superannuation or allowances)
  • have had your skills assessed as suitable by the relevant skills assessing authority and, unless exceptional circumstances apply, have at least three years full-time work experience in the occupation before the visa application is lodged. A list of assessing bodies can be found in the Employer Nomination Scheme Occupation List (ENSOL).

#8 ·
I don't think anything with Immi is fee free, yes they could sponsor you right away, it means another round of fees and docs collection.

Main difference between an 856 done immediately and a 175 independent PR visa is that you can do an 856 onshore and continue working while it is processing. Otherwise the docs are the same.

The 856 becomes more appealing after 2 yrs of working because you can skip the skills assessment (usually the most difficult part of any Immi application).

#11 ·
:confused:I'm not sure that I have made myself clear. I am currently Non MODL/non csl 175. This puts by visa to the bottom of the pile with an estimated wait of 3 yrs, however, I understand that I can transfer this app fee free to an off shore 121 ENS visa. This can be done even if I were in Aus on a 457 visa, but I would have to leave in order to to get the stamp. 457 takes a few weeks, ENS takes a few months. I do not have to wait 2yrs etc as I have skills already assessed as part of my 175 visa. Theoretically I could have PR on a 121 in less than 6mths cf 3yrs on my 175 alone. If I went on a 457 and then got an on shore ENS (856) then I would have to pay again. But this is not necessary. You agree?

#12 ·
Did you get this info from Immi (case officer or migration agent)?

I agree it makes sense to do that, but does Immi actually do that?

I have heard that anytime you change visas you need to withdraw your original application (and lose the fee). There is only one case where I know you convert and that's if you are changing from a 175 to a 176 visa.

#13 ·
#15 ·
It is simply a question of time re ENS/121 or 457 as a means to get there. They need me in 12 wks and whilst I can be confident of achieving this with a 457, I'm nervous I won't get the ENS back intime. I haven't done my medicals or police check for me or my partner and they haven't nominated the position yet. It's also Sydney which is slower? As I type that I think def get there on the 457 and then apply for the off shore ENS visa there. But obviously I would prefer the PR from the start. What do you think. Do you think I should hold out and hope a 121 would come through?? This is one of the most frustrating things ever!:eek:

#18 ·
Why not lodge a 457 and an ENS application at the same time?

In so doing you have some comfort that the employer is genuine in the intention to help facilitate a permanent residency visa ...

If the ENS visa comes through before the 457 you can then simply withdraw the 457 application.

Note also the LAFHA salary packaging opportunity which exists on a 457 visa.

Best regards.

#19 ·
Hi there, unfortunately i cannot answer your question but would like to know how you went about getting sponsorship? I myself am trying to move the Australia but finding it difficult, i miss out on the points system by 5 points so not too sure where to go from here, would be grateful for any help or advise you can offer. Thanx

#21 ·
Hi! I just came across your post.

It has been a while since you posted this thread but did you get a PR in Aus yet? I am interested because I have been practicing vet med for a few years and thinking about moving to Aus as a vet. maybe applying for work visa first and PR later.

I have heard it is getting harder to get a PR as a vet in Aus??? Not easy to get a work visa or job offer?

Thanks!

#22 ·
After my experience with 457 (and many others I know) i would strongly recommend to avoid this visa as much as possible! Unless the company is extremely serious they will take advantage of you!
I just applied for pr, but I had a terrible experience!
Your visa (and subsequently your life ) depend on your employer!

#23 ·
I second this!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.