Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.
a big thank for everone on this forum as it helps me alot with my current conditions. been browsing all around for about 2 months.
unfortunately my case is a bit different and i need some help if any of you have any experience.

facts:
1. i live with my mother in Indonesia (63 years old). she is divorced, only have 2 child, and she depend on my financially.
2. i have an older brother living in Brisbane with a 856 Visa. (been there for about 5 years. the first 4 is on 457).
3.i got a job offer in the same company as my brother and they offer me a 457.
4. however, they don't want to include my mother in the application due to old age (medical insurance. but my mother health is very good for someone her age).

problems : getting my mom to stay in australia with me.

possible solution:

1. get in with a 676 (tourist) visa. then apply for a parent visa or contributory parent visa. sponsored with my brother--> Rejected. 15 years is too long and 40k is too expensive.

2. get her in with a 676 for each year, go out of australia every 3 months, stay out a week then back. --> on the immi websites, noted that To be eligible for a further Tourist visa in the future, you must maintain extended periods of time outside of Australia. does anyone know how long is the "extended period of time"? Assuming it's around 4 months or more, she will have problem staying out due to she doesn't have anyone outside of Australia. can anyone please suggest?

3. i'm thinking to ask for a 121 visa instead of 457 from the employer. will this be possible? and while waiting of the 8 months process, can i enter Australia with a 457 or 462 (working holiday)? it is in my understanding that once i apply the 457 without her, she will no longer recognized as my dependent. thus making her only choice is parent or contributory parent. which is not preferred.

4. i'm also considering to apply for a 175. i can get the required point but still need to do the assessment first. i read many people said it is possible to apply 457 after applying your 175 and you just need to go out an in again once it's approved. but does anyone really done that?

note: point 3 and 4, while i'm in Australia with a 457, my mother will use a 676. and i guess it will not be a problem. or it will?

Many thanks in advance and sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Your best option will be to apply for a 175 visa with your mother as a secondary applicant. This will also probably be the fastest. You will have to prove that your mother is financially dependent on you and have to pay an additional fee if she does not have functional English.

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
I believe that your mother will need to stay out of the country for a couple of months (I cant remember the exact figure but check the immigration website or contact your nearest Australian Consulate) before being eligible for another tourist visa. However, this visa is not exactly appropriate for her as she is not necessarily a tourist in that regards and that may lead to cancellation of the visa and an automatic 3 year ban if immigration feels that she is not a genuine tourist. It's really a risk that you will need to weigh up and decide whether it's worth it before you apply for the visa. For the first visa, I doubt that she will have an issues but if you repeatedly apply for a tourist visa over the years, questions will no doubt be raised at some point.

If your employer has offered you a 457 visa, then I very much doubt that they go for a 121 visa. Most employers expect you to work for them for a minimum period of at least 2 years before they will consider sponsoring you for PR.
Your employer is not legally obliged to pay for your medical insurance and that is ultimately your cost to bear unless they choose to pay it on your behalf. So on that basis, could you not offer to pay for your mum's medical insurance and take care of all expenses associated with her visa? Maybe, if they feel that they do not need to take care of her expenses, they may reconsider.

Yes, you can apply for a 175 visa prior to or after issue of a 457 visa and you are correct that you will need to exit Australia prior to the visa being granted. You do need to bear in mind though that the rules will be changing in less than 3 months, so that may affect your eligibility for the visa.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to jshara & Maz25. looks like the 175 is the best way.
@Maz25, what kind of changing are you refereeing to?
and another question if you don't mind, if i apply 457 and go into australia with it and my mother stay in indonesia, when i apply for 175, how can i prove her to be my dependent? as we're not living in the same household anymore... sending some amount of money to her is not a problem.

thanks in advance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.