Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone -

I got my ACS result on friday, and realized that 4 years of my work ex have been deducted. Below is what my letter read. I have a B.tech in Electronics and communication 2005 and MBA 2007. My total workex is 6+ years, starting Apr 2007, so after deduction it leaves me with 2 years which translates to 0 points. My total points now stand at 55 {30 for age, 15 for education, 10 ielts (8,8.5,7.5,7.5) }. Road forward looks bleak now.

Could this be a mistake ? Should i write to ACS, because i have seen fellow members with the same degree getting 2 years deducted.

I am not sure what chances i fancy of getting SS, with 2yrs of workex and 55 points in total. Pls advise. I am an SAP Retail consultant. If i go ahead with state sponsorship, which should it be , Victoria or NSW? Also should i also consider getting my spouse's work ex assessed for 5 points? SS + spouse points will give me 10 in total, but it will take at least 4 months from now for the processes to finish.

What should be my next step?

Thanks already
Sid
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your skills have been assessed to be suitable for migration under 261311 (Analyst Programmer) of the
ANZSCO Code.
Your qualification has been assessed as follows:
Your Bachelor of Technology from UP Technical University completed June 2005 has been
assessed as comparable to an AQF Bachelor Degree with a major in computing
The following employment after April 2011 is considered to equate to work at an appropriately skilled
level and relevant to 261311 (Analyst Programmer) of the ANZSCO Code.

Dates: 04/07 - 03/10 (2yrs 11mths)
Position: ASSOCIATE BUSINESS ANALYST
Employer: XXX
Dates: 04/10 - 06/12 (2yrs 2mths)
Position: BUSINESS ANALYST
Dates: 07/12 - 07/13 (1yrs 0mths)
Position: CONSULTANT

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi sid4frnds,

a deduction of 2 or 4 years depends on whether the assessor considers your degree to be closely related to your nominated occupation or not. Did the other applicants, who were deemed skilled after two years post-bachelor, also apply under "Analyst Programmer"? If yes, you should definitely ask if the deducting is a mistake, referring - politely - to the other assessment results ;).

I have no idea if or how much the states look at the points. Some states don't accept direct applications anymore, so you could submit your EOI as-it-is and hope for an invite. Meanwhile, try to clarify the situation with ACS and maybe prepare for the partner points as well. If you aim for a 189 visa you may need more than 60 points to get an invite.

Cheerio,
Monika

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi sid4frnds,

a deduction of 2 or 4 years depends on whether the assessor considers your degree to be closely related to your nominated occupation or not. Did the other applicants, who were deemed skilled after two years post-bachelor, also apply under "Analyst Programmer"? If yes, you should definitely ask if the deducting is a mistake, referring - politely - to the other assessment results ;).

I have no idea if or how much the states look at the points. Some states don't accept direct applications anymore, so you could submit your EOI as-it-is and hope for an invite. Meanwhile, try to clarify the situation with ACS and maybe prepare for the partner points as well. If you aim for a 189 visa you may need more than 60 points to get an invite.

Cheerio,
Monika
Thanks for your response Monika. I wanted to apply for 189. Now even if i apply for partner points, my total will go up to 60 and that too after say 3 months ( time taken to get partner skills assessed). SS will tie me down to one state, and i am afraid of the limited job opportunities if and when i land in AUS.

My questions :
1. should i go for SS+ spouse asessment OR just go spouse assessment and hope that i will get an invite in 6 months time with 60 points
2. Should i file an EOI now? Will it make a difference ?
3. Is reassessment with ACS for a different job code an option?

Thanks already
Sid

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi Sid,

1+2. That's ultimately your decision. Note that you don't have to apply for a visa if you get an invite from a state - if a state that you don't want to live in approaches you, you can still say no. If you want to give a 190 visa a shot, I'd recommend to submit the EOI now - gives you more time to get selected ;). By the way, the states are huge. If you are a bit flexible where you more I think you should be able to get a job in any state. Most ICT people seem to end up in Sydney or Melbourne but that also means that the competition is steeper. Talk it over with your partner and consider her/his preferences.
3. That depends on how much overlap your skills have with other job codes. If you stay within the same unit group (e.g. 2613 Software and Applications Programmers) I don't think it would make a difference.

·
Registered
337 Posts
You can ask for a clarification from ACS..in my ACS they also did a mistake which they corrected and gave me another ACS assessment letter...But that mistake was not for deduction of years but for some thing else..ask for more clarification as why 4 years were deducted as if degree is assessed as major in computers then it should be 2 years unless ACS considers your experience not relating to nominated code during that period..

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Monika, MSaeed. i have written to them, but not counting a lot on their response. Suddenly, all roads seem closed.

Victoria will provide SS only for 3+ years experience. So i cant apply there because ACS has reduced my workex to 2 + years only. NSW is not accepting any more application for Analyst programmer, nor is any other state because of DIAC restrictions. Only option left now is giving IELTS again, but that is somthing that one cannot be sure of.

Not sure what to do :(

·
Registered
275 Posts
Nothing can be sure. Just give it your best effort. I think it's the easiest way for you to get through by IELTS. You've already got very good scores. All the best.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hi mseed,
Sorry to interrupt and asking some clarification. My assessment was degree in major computing and my work experience related to occupation code, even he/she deducted 5 yrs experience. If i ask for re-assess will it worth i am yet to submit my EOI vic ss. Is there any chance to claim wprk exp point...
Awaiting for your rply...

·
Registered
310 Posts
Hi sid4frnds,

Cheerio,
Monika
Hi Monika,
I read in many threads of this forum that your knowledge is of great help to many. Can you please help me understand the meaning of following line in Summary of Criteria pdf.

"Vendor Certification - The following are accepted by the ACS as comparable to graduate outcomes of an ICT major at the AQF Diploma level:"

What does 'graduate outcomes' refer to? and how many years would be deducted if vendor certification is closely related to nominated occupation?

Regards,
Bliss

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Monika/ MSaeed -

So i got a standard response, saying that my work experience is not closely related to the code that i have chosen, so 4 years have been deducted.
I am about to apply for Victoria SS, but based on their criteria, i am thinking, i do not fit the bill.

I read Victoria requires atleast 3 years of workex for 261311.

Website reads below (State Nomination Occupation List for Victoria - Live in Victoria)

261311 Analyst Programmer 7.0 in each band Three years

Should i apply ? Pls advise. Thanks already.

Sid

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi sid4frnds,

I'm really not sure whether Victoria would consider all you work experience or only the time after the ACS "skilled" date. I'd suggest to head over to the http://www.expatforum.com/expats/au...tralia/149532-victoria-state-sponsorship.html thread and read the entries / ask others for their experience. According to the Victoria Skilled State Nomination FAQ it does not look good, though:

Does the work experience I gained prior to qualification count?
We only count paid work experience 'post-qualification' toward the minimum work experience requirement. You should still include any 'pre-qualification' work experience on your resume for industry assessment purposes.
Since you did pretty well on your IELTS (minimum scores 2x 7.5) I would recommend to re-take that for the additional 10 points.

All the best,
Monika

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi sid4frnds,

I'm really not sure whether Victoria would consider all you work experience or only the time after the ACS "skilled" date. I'd suggest to head over to the http://www.expatforum.com/expats/au...tralia/149532-victoria-state-sponsorship.html thread and read the entries / ask others for their experience. According to the Victoria Skilled State Nomination FAQ it does not look good, though:

Since you did pretty well on your IELTS (minimum scores 2x 7.5) I would recommend to re-take that for the additional 10 points.

All the best,
Monika
Thanks for your prompt response Monika. Appreciate it. I got a response from one of the members in other thread. He says, its total experience and not the experience as accessed by ACS. He recently got his Vic SS. his total work ex is 4.5 yrs and after ACS deduction of 2 years, he too was left with 2.5 yrs. So i guess that is the way it would work.

Thanks again
Sid

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi Sid,

since there is no application fee for state nomination by Vitoria applying won't cost you anything (except time). Unfortunately, the fact that somebody else got their full experience considered by Victoria is only an indicator. After all, there was a significant number of applicants who got their full work experience considered by DIBP as well after the ACS letter format changes.

While Victoria processes your application you could squeeze in some IELTS practice every night. If they refuse the application you can still re-take the exam ;).

Best of luck,
Monika

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Sid,

I am in the same situation you are/were. I am a software engineer and have 3 years of experience , i have recently applied for skill assessment and obviously they will cut down my exp. and below are my points
Edu 15
Age 30
Pte 10
Since i have only 55 Points, if i go with 190 State nomination, will i be given those 5 Points. If yes, Should i go with Victoria or NSW.

Thanks
Sidhartha

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Sid,

since there is no application fee for state nomination by Vitoria applying won't cost you anything (except time). Unfortunately, the fact that somebody else got their full experience considered by Victoria is only an indicator. After all, there was a significant number of applicants who got their full work experience considered by DIBP as well after the ACS letter format changes.

While Victoria processes your application you could squeeze in some IELTS practice every night. If they refuse the application you can still re-take the exam ;).

Best of luck,
Monika
Hi Sid,

I am in the same situation you are/were. I am a software engineer and have 3 years of experience , i have recently applied for skill assessment and obviously they will cut down my exp. and below are my points
Edu 15
Age 30
Pte 10
Since i have only 55 Points, if i go with 190 State nomination, will i be given those 5 Points. If yes, Should i go with Victoria or NSW.

Thanks
Sidhartha

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Sid,

Edu 15
Age 30
Pte 10

Thanks
Sidhartha
Hi Sid -
Well, I was in this situation three years ago. My experience at that time was six and a half years, and after deduction of 4 years, I was left with two and a half. Since I was not inclined to go for state sponsorship, I waited for another six months until my relevant experience became three years. The system automatically gave me 5 points and application was processed with 60 points.
You can apply for state sponsorship, and if approved, you will get the much needed 5 points. As for NSW vs. Victoria(read Sydney vs. Melbourne), I suggest you read about both cities. Sydney is expensive(far more expensive than Melbourne), happening, modern and is safe to say that it is Australia's NYC. On the other hand, Melbourne is not as rushed, its sports capital of Australia, cheaper rents as compared to Sydney, good public transport ( I live in Melbourne ;) )As for Job opportunities, both cities have jobs, but I would not know which city offers more jobs specific to a skillset. Try looking up on seek.com to get an idea. Applying for state sponsorship is not an issue, as long as you are okay living with the restriction of being able to look for a job only in one city. Once you have a job, you can very well spend two years in that state and then think of moving to another state if you want to. It is the first job which is most problematic, and personally, I would prefer to have that freedom. However, if you think you can get a transfer from your existing company to either Sydney or Melbourne, then you should choose accordingly. Good luck! Hope that helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Sid,

Thanks for your reply. I have a lot more questions on this and will need your help.
Can you kindly drop me your number in fb account Sidhartha Karthik, pic with muffler around my neck
Please , as it would be helpful. I will contact you. Not much to disturb you.

Sidhartha

·
Registered
3 Posts
HI, consider applying with ICT Business Analyst skill and show all your experience with BA skills, this might help.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts