Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dear All,

ACS assess my four years bachelors degree in Computer Scinece from Newport Institute of Communication and Economics (Pakistan) as Associate degree. This assessment is not clear to me because I have uploaded my marks sheet too in which it was clearly written that my studies started at April 2003 and end at 30 March 2007.

I have no idea, what makes them to assess my degree as Associate. I tried to send them email, they said there are many comparability factors of AQF and these factors cannot be define to all individuals.

So What to do now ? any recommendation

·
Registered
460 Posts
Many degrees from indian and Pakistan universities are not considered to be at the standard of a bachelors degree regardless of their length or title. So they are only considered an Associte degree whilst a Masters from those unis are considered a Bachelors. Looking at some of the posts here where people indicate their bachelors was 45% or lower ....in Australia once you get less than 50% (some degrees 60%) in three subjects you are effectively expelled (and you have to repeat the subjects).....given that you can continue going up in year level by effectively failing the year suggests the quality of he degree itself is low.

The authorities have looked at the reputation of the institution, the quality of the degree and determined that that degree is not at the same level as an Australian Bachelors...and that will be the ruling for anyone with that degree asking for an assessment......so nothing you can do about it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Dear All,

ACS assess my four years bachelors degree in Computer Scinece from Newport Institute of Communication and Economics (Pakistan) as Associate degree. This assessment is not clear to me because I have uploaded my marks sheet too in which it was clearly written that my studies started at April 2003 and end at 30 March 2007.

I have no idea, what makes them to assess my degree as Associate. I tried to send them email, they said there are many comparability factors of AQF and these factors cannot be define to all individuals.

So What to do now ? any recommendation

Dear aghausman,

You have four years bachelor degree and I have 3 Years from Newports, but I have did my bachelors back in 2004. I do not know but I have doubt that ACS will consider my 3 years as AQF diploma as they have considered yours with 4 years as AQF associate and associate is higher than diploma.

but what you are upto then? what you are planning now.

regards

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Khan1,

Glad to find someone from my universty. I passed out in 2007. I talk to ACS and they send me following reply.

"One of the main factors in the assessment of the comparability of your qualification is that it was completed in an unregulated field.

Regulated fields are architecture and town planning, dentistry, engineering, law, medicine, pharmacy and veterinary medicine

As your qualification (Bachelor of Science Computer Science) is not in one of these fields it has been assessed by the assessor as an AQF Associate degree as reported on the skill assessment result letter"

As suggested by others, appeal will not help. However, the result is positive. Though it is affecting my points because after Associate degree ACS have count six years experience only instead of 10.

So I have lost 10 Point. 5 of exp and 5 of degree.

So I believe I have to attempt IELTS again to score 7 each component.

Do you have any suggestions ?

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
If IELTS was difficult, perhaps try one of the other accepted English tests. I've read that several people have found the PTE an easier test based on the format that's used.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maggie,

I have seen following line on their website

"Please note that PTE General is not accepted for visa applications. To apply for a UK or Australian visa please use PTE Academic."

PTE General - Pearson English Tests

·
Registered
60 Posts
Khan1,

Glad to find someone from my universty. I passed out in 2007. I talk to ACS and they send me following reply.

"One of the main factors in the assessment of the comparability of your qualification is that it was completed in an unregulated field.

Regulated fields are architecture and town planning, dentistry, engineering, law, medicine, pharmacy and veterinary medicine

As your qualification (Bachelor of Science Computer Science) is not in one of these fields it has been assessed by the assessor as an AQF Associate degree as reported on the skill assessment result letter"

As suggested by others, appeal will not help. However, the result is positive. Though it is affecting my points because after Associate degree ACS have count six years experience only instead of 10.

So I have lost 10 Point. 5 of exp and 5 of degree.

So I believe I have to attempt IELTS again to score 7 each component.

Do you have any suggestions ?
Actually I have done my 3 years BCS and I believe that they will count as AQF diploma, but what my concern is that I have done MS CS from PIMSAT as well and finished in 2009 so It kind of a confusing situation that whether I would go for ACS after bachelors or Masters, but I think PIMSAT MS CS, they will assess as AQF bachelors, but If they dont and they accept it as Masters then it would be a problem for me (point wise) that there will be no bachelors in between.

Have you looked into SS option?

are you in Jeddah? where you are working and in which category you are applying?

thanks

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually I have done my 3 years BCS and I believe that they will count as AQF diploma, but what my concern is that I have done MS CS from PIMSAT as well and finished in 2009 so It kind of a confusing situation that whether I would go for ACS after bachelors or Masters, but I think PIMSAT MS CS, they will assess as AQF bachelors, but If they dont and they accept it as Masters then it would be a problem for me (point wise) that there will be no bachelors in between.

Have you looked into SS option?

are you in Jeddah? where you are working and in which category you are applying?

thanks

What do you mean by SS option ? shed some lights :D

Yes, I am in Jeddah for five years and working in Semi Govt organization.

Yourself ? If you are in Jeddah too .. lets meet. Probably, we meet earlier in University too.

·
Registered
60 Posts
What do you mean by SS option ? shed some lights :D

Yes, I am in Jeddah for five years and working in Semi Govt organization.

Yourself ? If you are in Jeddah too .. lets meet. Probably, we meet earlier in University too.
State sponsorship I mean,

Yes I am in Jeddah too, working not for semi govt org :)

You must have remembered If you started you BS in 2003 that a large number of group came from APTECH to finish the last year.

yeah sure we can meet somewhere.

·
Registered
171 Posts
SS is State sponsorship I suppose, that will fall under Visa 190 category

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

You must have remembered If you started you BS in 2003 that a large number of group came from APTECH to finish the last year.

Lol, I am one too one of them. spate of coincidences ... let's come to private chat. And Yes, I consider State Sponsorship, but need 10 more points to be safe. I think its good to score better in IELTS. I am short with .5 in listening. Need a little bit more hard work probably, score 8 in each to secure 20 extra points :D ...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Bro,

Couldn't able to send you PM. my email is aghausman at gmail dot com, lets connect.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Salaam Agha Usman,

Man same thing happen to me now, just received my ACS Skill Assessment report.
I have completed Bachelor Of Software Engineering degree which is a Hons 4 years degree from City University Of Sciences & IT Peshawar, My university is HEC recognized and accredited with "british accreditation council".
They have assessed my bachelor degree as "AQF Associate Degree".

WHAT DID YOU DO AFTER THE ASSESSMENT? DID YOU APPEAL OR ANY THING??

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Salaam Agha Usman,

Man same thing happen to me now, just received my ACS Skill Assessment report.
I have completed Bachelor Of Software Engineering degree which is a Hons 4 years degree from City University Of Sciences & IT Peshawar, My university is HEC recognized and accredited with "british accreditation council".
They have assessed my bachelor degree as "AQF Associate Degree".

WHAT DID YOU DO AFTER THE ASSESSMENT? DID YOU APPEAL OR ANY THING??
W.Salaam Brother,

I communicate with them through the email address they sent me the ACS out come. Even after all of it, they didn't change my degree to four years. Apparently, there are only few universities in Pakistan which is accepted by ACS for four years bachelors and this policy change is recent I believe.

Anyway, we can't do any thing. I am short with ".5" in listening. So I will try again to take 7 each in which will add 10 points of Language.

And with this AQF associate degree they don't only deduct 5 points of Degree but also reduce four years from my experience. Thus, they are counting my experience from 2009.

I think It is pointless to go for appeal. BTW, what is the name of case officer ?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
if you're in KSA as your profile suggests, take PTE, much easier than IELTS
I checked few days before, It wasn't accepted for Immigration by then but now as I can see they are accepting it.

What is the requirement to add 10 points in Immigration case ?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks for your reply bro...
Well i dont know whats the name of CO from ACS... Now my points are 40 after deduction of 5 points from education and 5 from degree... i have no other option then to get 20 points in IELTS or PTE which will not be easy...
I saw a post here on the forum one guy from AIOU, his BCS degree was given 4 years weight...
Im stuck with this result... thinking to skip Australian dream from my mind...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for your reply bro...
Well i dont know whats the name of CO from ACS... Now my points are 40 after deduction of 5 points from education and 5 from degree... i have no other option then to get 20 points in IELTS or PTE which will not be easy...
I saw a post here on the forum one guy from AIOU, his BCS degree was given 4 years weight...
Im stuck with this result... thinking to skip Australian dream from my mind...
As Iqbal Said
"Pehwasta Reh Shajar sey ... Umeed-e-Bahar Rakh" (Urdu)

Don't loose your hopes, try to score better in IELTS or PTE. I am going though PTE and it looks bit easy.

Well, let me tell you some thing, I graduated from my University in 2006 and never open a book after that ..... till I started IELTS. I prepare for 1.5 month and strictly giving 20 hours weekly. Meanwhile, I also started to communicate with some native speakers in a cafe. At the examination day, I had severe migraine and due to which I couldn't able to concentrate well on the audio, Its luck :) ... but Alhamdulillah I scored L:6.5, R:8, W:7, S:8. Still .5 less in listening but I wasn't disappointed.

Try again, I have seen a lot of people who attempt 3 / 4 times to gain their required results and there is nothing wrong in it. Run after your dreams, the only thing you could do is "Try" and leave the rest on God.

Btw, NZ is not a bad option either :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
As Iqbal Said
"Pehwasta Reh Shajar sey ... Umeed-e-Bahar Rakh" (Urdu)

Don't loose your hopes, try to score better in IELTS or PTE. I am going though PTE and it looks bit easy.

Well, let me tell you some thing, I graduated from my University in 2006 and never open a book after that ..... till I started IELTS. I prepare for 1.5 month and strictly giving 20 hours weekly. Meanwhile, I also started to communicate with some native speakers in a cafe. At the examination day, I had severe migraine and due to which I couldn't able to concentrate well on the audio, Its luck :) ... but Alhamdulillah I scored L:6.5, R:8, W:7, S:8. Still .5 less in listening but I wasn't disappointed.

Try again, I have seen a lot of people who attempt 3 / 4 times to gain their required results and there is nothing wrong in it. Run after your dreams, the only thing you could do is "Try" and leave the rest on God.

Btw, NZ is not a bad option either :)
Salaam Usman Bhai,

Yeah you are 100% correct as Iqbal Said.. Bro i have been chasing ACS now the reply what i got from them is

Regulated fields are dentistry, engineering, pharmacy and town planning."

I don't understand what ACS is doing really...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Salaam Usman Bhai,

Yeah you are 100% correct as Iqbal Said.. Bro i have been chasing ACS now the reply what i got from them is

Regulated fields are dentistry, engineering, pharmacy and town planning."

I don't understand what ACS is doing really...

It seems they are giving the same reply to every one. I got the same reply in the first time and then second time they give little more description. But until the end, I wasn't clear what is the criteria.

Whats the name of your case officer ? Jade ?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts