Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New realease that Govt employee will enjoy 4 day off on UAE national day started from 29 nov to 2nd Decmber..

Whereas Private sector will enjoy 30 Nov holiday ....

.:bolt::whoo::whoo:

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
That is so absurd, isnt' national day supossed to be on Dec. 2nd? Why is the private sector being given the 30th Nov off? Makes no sense!

I'm lucky in that I work in a company that is quite relaxed when it comes to this sort of stuff (we just had yesterday off and for Eid we were given 5 days instead of 3) so I'm sure we'll get at least a day off, but it really sucks that the private sector is always getting the short end of the stick when it comes to public holidays!

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
That is so absurd, isnt' national day supossed to be on Dec. 2nd? Why is the private sector being given the 30th Nov off? Makes no sense!
It makes perfect sense if you are on a six day week and the Friday is your only day off.

The recent announcement/reannouncement with the Islamic New Year day shows how difficult it is to move a public holiday so that it suits private sector workers who are on a six day week and those on a five day week. The only logical day to take off to satisfy both, would of course be a Thursday.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
It makes perfect sense if you are on a six day week and the Friday is your only day off.

The recent announcement/reannouncement with the Islamic New Year day shows how difficult it is to move a public holiday so that it suits private sector workers who are on a six day week and those on a five day week. The only logical day to take off to satisfy both, would of course be a Thursday.
It shouldn't really matter who it suits, if the public holiday is there for a reason then it should relate to that specific date.

Can you imagine moving New Year's Day because it lands on a Friday?

If I didn't work for a company where we get the next working day off for all public holidays that fall on weekends, I'd be going mad over this, it's just so blatant now.

G

·
I am pretty sure we will have Sunday and Monday off. So I am not really bothered by this.

However, I don't really think some people like the sales people are getting any days off, as the shopping malls are getting even more crowded, hence more employees are needed.

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
I thougt National Day was one of those public holidays that is actually fixed but I guess none of them are anymore!

So when are all the official celebrations happening then? I suposse Saturday so people from both public and private sectors can attend, even though the actual national day isn't until Monday?

Absolutely ridiculous!

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Oh for goodness' sakes, this is ridiculous. How can you change your National Day holiday? It falls when it falls. There's going to be a lot of very unhappy people...again!

·
Registered
225 Posts
BedouGirl said:
Oh for goodness' sakes, this is ridiculous. How can you change your National Day holiday? It falls when it falls. There's going to be a lot of very unhappy people...again!
Many middle eastern countries do so as well,
In Jordan for example they shift Labor Day and i recall independence day too being shifted, if it lands on a Sunday or Middle of the week and UAE too seems to take this trend b
I'm not sure what's behind doing so, there must be a reason.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Many middle eastern countries do so as well, In Jordan for example they shift Labor Day and i recall independence day too being shifted, if it lands on a Sunday or Middle of the week and UAE too seems to take this trend b I'm not sure what's behind doing so, there must be a reason.
The problem is that there are those who work a five-day week and those who work a six-day week. For the former, Saturday is already a day off. I understand tagging it onto a weekend, but there should be a parity, not to mention that, of course, it does not affect the public sector. And, of course, all the special events that have been planned for the day itself will be a nonsense now. Plus getting around is a bit of a nightmare on certain roads when everyone comes out in their cars and you are on a normal work day. An, what to do...?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I may be new to the concept of moving Public Holidays, but I would imagine that holidays are holidays, because there is an ocassion. In this case, the ocassion would be celebrate Emiratihood and all the special activities. I don't imagine that they will move these to the Saturday as well?

·
Premium Member
10,204 Posts
@ dizzyizzy exactly bro and i m also victim of this / .... i hate this.. bro i wana to go change my job coz of this issue.... this is ridiculus man... pethatic
Izzy bro.....this is really so pethatic! :D

Waqas bro, you want a new girlfriend, you want to change your job! How about going back to school and learning how to spell? Bro!

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
@ Pam, hahahahaha!

I was informed this morning, this is the website we should all be referring to WAM | Emirates News Agency

Having said that, that's not to say it won't be announced and changed like it was last time! I wouldn't mind, but I actually have specific plans for that day (which I never normally do because things change with the wind here) so, whereas, normally, it's kind of neither here nor there, this time I am taking it very personally hehehe:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
@ Pam, hahahahaha!

I was informed this morning, this is the website we should all be referring to WAM | Emirates News Agency

Having said that, that's not to say it won't be announced and changed like it was last time! I wouldn't mind, but I actually have specific plans for that day (which I never normally do because things change with the wind here) so, whereas, normally, it's kind of neither here nor there, this time I am taking it very personally hehehe:rolleyes:
particualrly as the the mooon has nothing to do with National Day, we at least know when it is! (supposed to be...)

I think i'll pick a day for my birthday next year......

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
NEWSFLASH:

New Year's Day for private sector will be moved to Saturday, December 28th, 2013 to combine it with the previous Friday.
Christmas, Easter, Diwali, Equinox, Krishna Janmashtami etc all to be centralised to a new day, the 32nd April, created for convenience.

It will not appear on standard calendars, so the 'time off' will be treated as symbolic.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am confused. Why are people unhappy about this? Monday is suppose to be the holiday right? So you get extra days off, or am I misunderstanding?

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I am confused. Why are people unhappy about this? Monday is suppose to be the holiday right? So you get extra days off, or am I misunderstanding?
i think they are moving the day off from Monday. no 'extra' holiday, just no certainty as to when any holidays actually are until 4 minutes befor ethe day in question...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Problem is here the official private sector working week is 6 days with only Friday officially classed as a weekend by the government, it is the discretion of your employer to give you the Saturday off.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts