Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
French coach Domenech has received a signed writing by the then underaged hooker who got Ribery, Benzema and Govou into problems, in which she asks for his forgiveness and not to punish any player by keeping them away from the world cup (for now, only Benzema has been dropped from the selection, for reasons not related to the sex scandal). The letter was published in French media today. Can't help but wondering if Domenech has met the young lady in private himself or not ; after all the whole selection was apparently visiting that Parisian nightclub quite frequently. As long as papers get their pages filled I guess ...

Spain's premature selection has been made, 7 out of 30 names to be dropped in the end (of which I guess the likes of De Gea and Guiza will be close to certain and only in the temporary selection for the case that one of the certainties would get seriously injured)

I think so far only Japan has released its definitive 23 names??
New Zealand have realeased their 23 I think.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
North Korean dictator doesn't want to see his citizens travel abroad, because he knows well enough they'd never return. So North Korea faced the harsh task of facing Brazil, Portugal and Ivory Coast without any support whatsoever in the stadium. Solution found: the North Korean FA ordered 1000 tickets per game and recruited a group of Chinese chearleeders, actors and singers to organise vocal support for North Korea in the stadium during their games.

As much as I loathe the regime in that country, you gotta credit him for such creativity :D I do fear that it won't help much in terms of passing the group stage. That group with Portugal, Brazil, Ivory Coast and North Korea is like the toughest group of them all. That said, Germany's group is quite a tough one as well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well i for one will be watching it....I'm not a huge football fan... more of a rugby man, but I love England...not the politics, but the country and its people and will always support it.

COME ON ENGLAND!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Spanish selection announced:

Goalkeepers:
Iker Casillas (Real Madrid), Pepe Reina (Liverpool), Victor Valdes (Barcelona).

Defenders:
Raul Albiol (Real Madrid), Alvaro Arbeloa (Real Madrid), Joan Capdevila (Villarreal), Carlos Marchena (Valencia), Gerard Pique (Barcelona), Carles Puyol (Barcelona), Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid).

Midfield:
Xabi Alonso (Real Madrid), Sergio Busquets (Barcelona), Cesc Fabregas (Arsenal), Andres Iniesta (Barcelona), Javi Martinez (Athletic Bilbao), David Silva (Valencia), Xavi (Barcelona).

Attack:
Jesus Navas (Sevilla), Juan Mata (Valencia), Pedro (Barcelona), Fernando Llorente (Athletic Bilbao), Fernando Torres (Liverpool), David Villa (Valencia).

My prediction as line up (bit Barca-Real dominated but anyway):

Casillas (or Valdes??)
Albiol – Pique – Puyol – S. Ramos
Xabi Alonso – Sergio Busquets – Iniesta or Xavi
Pedro – Torres – Villa

Argentinian 23 final names announced as well:

Goalkeepers:
Sergio Romero (AZ), Mariano Andujar (Catania), Diego Pozo (Colon).

Defenders:
Gabriel Heinze (Olympique Marseille), Martin Demichelis (Bayern München), Nicolas Otamendi (Velez Sarsfield), Walter Samuel (Internazionale), Clemente Rodriguez (Estudiantes), Nicolas Burdisso (AS Roma), Ariel Garcé (Colon).

Midfield:
Javier Mascherano (Liverpool), Jonas Gutierrez (Newcastle United), Angel Di Maria (Benfica), Mario Bolatti (Fiorentina), Juan Sebastian Veron (Estudiantes), Javier Pastore (Palermo), Maxi Rodriguez (Liverpool).

Strikers:
Lionel Messi (FC Barcelona), Gonzalo Higuain (Real Madrid), Carlos Tévez (Manchester City), Sergio Agüero (Atletico Madrid), Diego Milito (Internazionale), Martin Palermo (Boca Juniors).

No Zanetti! :eek:

21 - 24 of 24 Posts