Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've found myself in quite a pickle. I'm currently on the Youth Mobility visa which is ending in July. I'm married to my English wife, so plan to switch over to the marriage visa at the end.

The issue is that we're having difficulty proving the 18600 income for 6 month previous. Unfortunately the 6 month mark of her starting her new job is about 18 days after my visa expires (I can't use my income as I'm a freelancer). We spoke to an immigration lawyer who said I could stay for 28 days over my visa, and then do a 1 day visa application, and it shouldn't impact my application.

I've been doing some research and this 28 day idea seems like a very grey area in the immigration laws, and it's making my extremely anxious. Does anyone have any experience/advice around it?

·
Registered
39,154 Posts
You can still apply for leave to remain (LTR) as spouse up to 28 days after your Tier 5 visa expiry, but only by post. You can't use same-day premium service. You also lose your right for in-country appeal. This 28-day cushion was introduced in 2012.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.