Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you apply for a University Lecturer if you work at a Degree Awarding Institute ?
i m working at a software house in parallel owned by the same institute does it compliment my experience ? but seeing that software engineering applicantions are a lot these days is it better to apply as a university lecturer ?
more over is there is a list of recognized universities that Australia accepts ? or they accept any university that is recognized by the Higher Education Commision.

Please advise

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi zohaibjan,

I did the exact opposite you are planning ad got assessed as "Software Engineer" although I worked as researcher/lecturer at university. Reason: University Lecturers and Tutors are only listed on the CSOL, so you need to get state, regional or employer sponsorship. Because of the new pro-rata arrangements for certain ICT groups (cf. Occupation Ceilings on SkillSelect page) you may not have a chance to get an invite if you don't have a high points score (65+). In that case going for assessment as lecturer might indeed be a good idea.

As long as work at least 20hrs/week on tasks that fit into the occupation code you wish to nominate, you should be fine. I split my work about equally between teaching and research and listed (briefly) the subjects I taught and (in more detail) the software I developed. I doubt that they considered my teaching experience as relevant, but the software engineering hours were enough. Likewise, if you apply as "University Lecturer or Tutor" they will likely not accept any hours that you worked as a developer in a software house. Take a look at the tasks/responsibilities. If the development work had some research aspects to it (which you can demonstrate visa grants and publications) then that may be accepted. The ANZSCO description mentions "conducting research and undertaking consultancies in a particular field of knowledge". If possible, focus on that when you describe your development work.

I don't think there is a list of "accepted universities/institutes" as such. If you have evidence that your employer has university status in Pakistan that should be fine.

Cheers,
Monika

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First of all thank you for your prompt reply monika. The thing is I am actually working as a System Analyst at a Software House that is owned by the Parent Organization which is the Institute as well, where I am also working as an Assistant Professor.

I have significant research experience with my papers published at various International Conference the latest being in Japan the 9th SITI Conference on 2nd Dec. Originally my consultant advised me that I should apply as a system analyst and i got my ACS for it. I even achieved a score of 8 in IELTS having one module 7.5 which made me gain only 10 points from IELTS. I have a total of 65 points for 189 visa I have submitted by EOI on Aug 26th and some of my colleagues submitted their EOI on 8th september and they received their invite however I didnt so far.

I checked the occupational ceiling cap and apparently System Analyst has reached 998 / 1380 which means I am almost out of chances, however as for University Lecturer is it only 67 / 2800 where there is significant amount of places left. Therefore I was wondering if it did be a better idea to apply as a University Lecturer. Also since Victoria and NSW both have University Lecturer on their respective SOL would it be better to restart the process based on this ?

Thanks for your time.

Regards

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi zohaibjan,

it's true that there are less than 400 places left but DIAC decided to use a pro-rata arrangement for system analysts. This means that these 400 places are divided equally over the remaining months and

... half of the remaining places will be allocated for state or territory government nominations and the other half will be allocated for the invitation rounds for Skilled Independent and Skilled Regional (Provisional). These arrangements commenced on 2 September 2013.
For 9 remaining months until July 1, 2014 and 2 invitation rounds per months that means that only 22 analysts are invited per round and only half of these in the 189/489 subclasses. Look at the last SkillSelect report. As an ICT system analyst you currently need at least 65 points to get an invite and the last person invited had a submission date of 13/08/2013. You might be pretty close to getting an invite :). If you want to boost your chances I would recommend to just re-sit IELTS and update the EOI with a higher IELTS score. With 75 points you should definitely get an invite in the next round.

Cheers,
Monika

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright then I will start studying for IELTS then :)
thank you very much for your reply and help Monika.

Regards
Zohaib

·
Registered
293 Posts
I am a university lecturer with five years of experience.
I got positive assessment from vetassess and also got NSW sponsorship.
Its good to be a lecturer then developer.

I am also providing consultancy to people on vetassess and NSW from some times and finally myself decided to apply in may after completion of 5 years experience.
Ready to lodge visa now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But if i apply for a lecturer now it will require for me to restart the entire process right ? Moreover I have already lodged my EOI in System Analyst wont it create problems if i lodge two EOIs in parallel ?

Please advise

I am a university lecturer with five years of experience.
I got positive assessment from vetassess and also got NSW sponsorship.
Its good to be a lecturer then developer.

I am also providing consultancy to people on vetassess and NSW from some times and finally myself decided to apply in may after completion of 5 years experience.
Ready to lodge visa now.

·
Registered
293 Posts
But if i apply for a lecturer now it will require for me to restart the entire process right ? Moreover I have already lodged my EOI in System Analyst wont it create problems if i lodge two EOIs in parallel ?

Please advise
I have done it in 5 month. Lodged my visa on 25 sept.
If you want success in life then have patience in life.
This is the only mantra of life.
You have to withdraw your eoi for same as this may cause problem

·
Registered
2 Posts
My

Dear Espresso/Monica

I am applying to Australia under university lecturer occupation, and I am applying through a recognised agent. I have 2 peered reviewed publications, 2 completed thesis, and 2 more publication that got accepted but not published yet. Plus I have IELTS score as L."7.5" R."8" W."7" S."7" (total 7.5), I have more than 8 years overseas experience of teaching experience as a University lecturer (computer graphics / multimedia) in two different recognised and well know universities in Bahrain. As far as my qualification is concerned I have 3 years Bachelors in computer science, and 1 years Masters in computer science (majors in multimedia.) According to my agent, I have good chances of getting positive skill assessment. So, I wanted to ask you what do you think about my qualification and what are my assessment chances.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts