Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully everyone isn't annoyed by post similar to this...

I am a 23 year old aspiring wildlife filmmaker wanting to move to South Africa. I attended the Wildlife Film Academy (based out of Cape Town) earlier this year, and fell in love with the country. I would love to live in Cape Town, and hopefully get work that would take me into the some of the national and private game parks. I made a lot of connections in the city, and feel that I would have a pretty easy time finding film work, but it would be entry level and not pay much.

My concerns are this:

Since I would start off doing entry level/intern type work, I would need to find a part time job in the city. I have retail and food service experience. Is it feasible for me to find a job such as this?

I am hoping to make the move in approximately 1 year and am hoping to have around $5,000 USD to start with. Would this be enough to get on my feet?

Any guess as to what the cost of living would be for a 23 year old single male in Cape Town?

Any advice or tips is much appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hello Andrew

Andrew,

I have some experience in film: I took a year of film school at Lansing Community College, I am writing a couple screenplays, and I have acted in some films.

I also am looking forward to a move to the Western Cape.

Perhaps we should keep in touch, for when we get there, and we can network.

Cheers,

Richard

Hopefully everyone isn't annoyed by post similar to this...

I am a 23 year old aspiring wildlife filmmaker wanting to move to South Africa. I attended the Wildlife Film Academy (based out of Cape Town) earlier this year, and fell in love with the country. I would love to live in Cape Town, and hopefully get work that would take me into the some of the national and private game parks. I made a lot of connections in the city, and feel that I would have a pretty easy time finding film work, but it would be entry level and not pay much.

My concerns are this:

Since I would start off doing entry level/intern type work, I would need to find a part time job in the city. I have retail and food service experience. Is it feasible for me to find a job such as this?

I am hoping to make the move in approximately 1 year and am hoping to have around $5,000 USD to start with. Would this be enough to get on my feet?

Any guess as to what the cost of living would be for a 23 year old single male in Cape Town?

Any advice or tips is much appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thats an awesome decision. Capetown is one of the best places in the world for film industries ...I think you will enjoy it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts