Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Forum Citizens,

This is my first post and I look forward to contributing more often to my fellow dwellers.

I have been in Sydney for a month now and finding it hard to get opportunities in my field. While I have been informed to take any opportunity in any field, I am hesitant to take such a plunge not knowing whether that will lead to an unending circle of never gaining experience in my desired field in Australia.

I am a product manager (software/tech) and have worked in some of the largest tech companies in the world in their US and Indian offices, and have been educated in the US. However, I have not been able to translate to interviews in Australia. I have hit the ground running from day 1 by meeting number of startup guys for coffee to explore opportunities but nothing materializes. Coming here I felt that having an American education and work experience will help in overcoming the barrier of 'western experience' or 'understands western culture' but I am not able to get much. Only twice among 20+ folks I have met, I have been directly informed that I lack Australian experience. If I read between the lines, other 18 might be saying the same but not directly.

How to overcome the barrier? I have been staying far away from Sydney CBD to reduce rent. I use train all the time. While I apply online (Seek, linkedin), I am not hoping much as I believe networking and face-to-face meets help to show your zeal.

If I settle for any job while I can earn wages, it will make it difficult to get back into product management space.

Reasons of choosing Australia over Canada
1) Tolerable weather - prefer sun over cold/gloomy weather
2) Close to home (India)
3) On paper, higher salary and possible to make higher salary in long-term ($170k - $200k+)

It makes me wonder should I try in Toronto. I believe US education and US experience. Surprisingly in Canada, I could find South Asians, East Asians, East Europeans and Latin Americans as entrepreneurs. However, Canada doesn't pay very high as one climbs the ladder.

Even then somehow the above three reasons want me strive in Australia.

Is there any benefit of US education and US experience in Australia? Does being brown/South Asian immigrant hinder your prospects and career growth in some way? I am eager to learn about people broke the barrier and were able to grow in their corporate career in Sydney/Australia.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Subscribing

·
Super Moderator
5,694 Posts
Subscribing
Rather than add a "Following" or "Subscribing" comment to threads, please use the "Subscribe to this thread" link to subscribe to a thread. :)

You can find it at the top right of the first post in every thread, in the green bar. :)

Thank you. :)
kaju

·
Registered
882 Posts
hello, whats your current situation now ? are you employed ?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Do not give up hope. It has not been much since you've arrived. Being positive will keep your life happy and healthy. Everyone has equal opportunity in Australia. Apart from lacking Australian experience, being "brown" should not be hindering your progress here. Don't let the complexity get the best of you and muster up the courage to welcome new challenges.

Reactions: commie_rick

·
Registered
882 Posts
Do not give up hope. It has not been much since you've arrived. Being positive will keep your life happy and healthy. Everyone has equal opportunity in Australia. Apart from lacking Australian experience, being "brown" should not be hindering your progress here. Don't let the complexity get the best of you and muster up the courage to welcome new challenges.
good attitude. u r positive !

Reactions: Mikail_Zubair

·
Registered
550 Posts
Even one of my known ones from India managed to get a job in just 25 days. That too a desirable one with a good salary. I don't think it has anything to do with being from South Asia.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts