Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I'm new in town and want to meet some basketball fans to wake up early and watch the Playoffs. Of course we can't do every game but maybe a few that matter, especially as it comes close to the finals.

Anybody have any good ideas about venues, how to get the games, etc? Any suggestions are welcome. Even if you dont have a suggestion, post your guess for who wins. Maybe we can even do a bracket to spice things up....

Go OKC!!:D

·
Registered
106 Posts
Chicago is going the distance! LOL
I'll be out there too late for this season. Mid August, but I'm down for football season.

As far as watching the games go... Find someone with a slingbox. Or get a
Victor
Papa
November.

Then I think you can stream some NBA.com games.

OKC should be best in the west btw.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Maaan, I really want the celtics to win but the way they've played this season...lol

Realistically, looking at the Thunder/Spurs/Heat taking it. Chicago are not as good as they were last season so doubt they'll get far.

I don't mind watching the playoffs....weekends only though. Do you also play? We play in the DuPlays league held monday nights at the Dubai International Academy in Emirates Hills.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Bulls FTW !!!

If D. Rose can get healthy and back into rythm for round 2, they still have a good chance.

No need for fancy set ups, all you need is an NBA league pass, and you can watch them live. They are down to 89 USD for the rest of the season + playoffs, I'm hoping for a price drop day 1 of the playoffs.

Otherwise, I get sent a couple of games every week, so I'll just stay away from all news network, tweeter, facebook and the likes for a couple of weeks, so as not to spoil the surprise !

·
Registered
374 Posts
Do you also play? We play in the DuPlays league held monday nights at the Dubai International Academy in Emirates Hills.
I used to play on Mondays as well, but had an accident in January and can't use my arm yet.

I'm hoping to be back next season (if they start one in July, it's wishful thinking according to the doc, who won't let me touch a ball before mid-June. If it's September, I should be back 100%).

What team are you in ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Guys,

Huge basketball fan here - Jazz have been my team since the early 90s....

Anyway, the big problem with meeting up to watch a few matches is that most matches are televised between 3:00am to 7:00am UAE time. Which I do wake up for every now and then. And am up for weekend meetups.

The only matches we can watch at a decent hour are the ones on saturday or sunday (noon time in the US) so late night here.

Anyway, getting back to where you can watch the matches:

• Al Jazeera 6 or 8 (I canceled it a month ago) - but you only get 1 match on 4 days a week. And also the commentary is in arabic many a time - a big no no for me. A couple of my arabic friends also mentioned that the commentary was of a horrible quality.
  • NBA TV - 1 match a day. Used to have it for the past 3 years, but canceled it since I got fed up with the fact that they only show the first round of the playoffs.
  • ESPN - 2 matches a week. Generally on the weekend. Good ESPN commentators. I have this at the moment.
  • NBA Website - great high quality streaming. Plan on getting this for the playoffs. (Which I have been doing every year)
  • Free streaming - there are a couple of great free websites that stream all games for free. I currently use these. If you want to know which ones they are drop me a message.
  • Torrents and Downloads - Again a couple of great websites host all the complete games in HD and lower. Again I do not want to reveal them on an open forum.

Finally... I would suggest that we meetup to watch some basketball. I know of a couple of bars that show them on sunday.

Oh yeah - my take on the playoffs.

From the East: Either Chicago or Miami. and Boston with an outside chance. Especially if Wade's injury is serious.

From the West: Thunder or the Spurs.

GO JAZZ!!!

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
I tried to play fantasy basketball and failed miserably as just didnt stay caught up on it. That was my first and last attempt as fantasy basketball. Not even going to try to predict who is going to win but.... Any Texas team will be fine though ;)

That said... Go Spurs ;)

Reactions: xchaos777

·
Registered
106 Posts
Maaan, I really want the celtics to win but the way they've played this season...lol

Realistically, looking at the Thunder/Spurs/Heat taking it. Chicago are not as good as they were last season so doubt they'll get far.

I don't mind watching the playoffs....weekends only though. Do you also play? We play in the DuPlays league held monday nights at the Dubai International Academy in Emirates Hills.
Duplays is fun. I did Football and Bball last year. I was on Robbi's team both times.
Chicago is not as good as last year and they still have the best record in the NBA?
Well they were REALLY good last year! I think the defense is still great in Chicago and the D. Rose injury has helped the team learn to score points without him on the floor. The question is, can the rest of the team continue to score once he is back at 100%? If they can, Chicago will put up 100+ points a game. And there just isn't another team that is going to put up that many points against Chicago to win a seven game series.
The team with the best shot of beat them IMOP would be OKC. And thats because the have the MVP of the league this year.

Has this thread offically been hi-jacked?
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
OKC and Bulls in the Finals....
Spurs will take OKC the distance, but don't see Miami or Boston doing the same to da Bulls...

Need to get in on the DuPlays things... played ball a long time ago when I was younger and lighter... if anybody needs a fat ass on their team, hit me up... :confused2:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Bulls_96 - I know what you mean but I just have one of those feelings, cos with D Rose not being at his 100% it just feels like they're gonna force him in to a team which has played really well with out him. It's pushed other players to step up and split the 25-30 points which Rose usually gets. Gonna have to wait and see :D

·
Registered
106 Posts
OKC and Bulls in the Finals....
Spurs will take OKC the distance, but don't see Miami or Boston doing the same to da Bulls...

Need to get in on the DuPlays things... played ball a long time ago when I was younger and lighter... if anybody needs a fat ass on their team, hit me up... :confused2:
We used to play on Tuesday nights in the Lakes. There is a decent court near the daycare.

26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Interesting, where are all the LA people? I was sure that this thread would be hijacked by Kobe and Griffin fans. I'm sure they're waiting in hiding for the right moment to inform everybody of how things 'really are' haha.

Anyways, Saturday and Sunday nights seem the best times if people want to get together to watch some games. As the time approaches, I'd love if whoever knows places that show the games lets the rest of us know and we can meet to watch. Keep subscriptions to the thread and we can come up with times and places to meet and watch...

·
Registered
374 Posts
Just watched a game through nba.com leagu pass.

My god I had forgotten how bad the service is.
Not in terms of picture quality, they have done an amazing job on that front, quality being optimized for your connection speed on the go.

No, I mean service in the initial sense of the term.

As soon as there is a game break, a commercial break, or even a small interview or a couple of jokes from a local channel consultant (ie, anything and anyone that has not agreed to pay the NBA for showing up on their web feed on top of the regular cable feed) the screen just goes black and you just have to wait like an idiot in front of your screen, hoping it will start again soon (as they usually cut before the crew even has time to tell you whether it is a 20, a full timeout, a review by the officials, etc.)

I remember now why I stopped paying for it last year !

·
Registered
374 Posts
And he does it again !

Ron Artest has once again cost his team their chances in the playoffs...

After throwing an elbow at James Hardeen's head in the last game, he has been suspended 7 games. There is only one game remaining in the regular season for the Lakers, that means he will miss the first 6 playoffs game (if the Lakers manage to get through that many).

With Kobe out of synch after missing several games at the end of the season, the rest of the team that we thought had learned that they can play without Bryant, but kept feeding him the ball over and over in the 2 OT, Matt Barnes spraining an ankle, they realy didn't need Artest to get back to his old antics and getting suspended again...

And to think they actually let him legally change his name to "world peace", knowing he holds the record for longest suspension for violence in the history of sports...

·
Registered
106 Posts
And he does it again !

Ron Artest has once again cost his team their chances in the playoffs...

After throwing an elbow at James Hardeen's head in the last game, he has been suspended 7 games. There is only one game remaining in the regular season for the Lakers, that means he will miss the first 6 playoffs game (if the Lakers manage to get through that many).

With Kobe out of synch after missing several games at the end of the season, the rest of the team that we thought had learned that they can play without Bryant, but kept feeding him the ball over and over in the 2 OT, Matt Barnes spraining an ankle, they realy didn't need Artest to get back to his old antics and getting suspended again...

And to think they actually let him legally change his name to "world peace", knowing he holds the record for longest suspension for violence in the history of sports...
Calm down,
Its not like they were getting past OKC anyway...
;)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.