Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
I'm not sure the reason why you posted the article, perhaps it is to show that Mexico is more multilingual than the USA, which actually is probably true, but I have a different view of the SEP.

For the first 50 years of its existence the SEP had a monolingual Spanish-only policy. That article quotes Nuño as saying that English classes started in 1926, that's a self-congratulatory stretch. I can't remember who was in charge of the SEP that year, Vasconcelos had already resigned, but it was during the nation-building revolutionary governments.

Mexico has not exactly been at the forefront of linguistic rights. I've read Nuño's interviews regarding indigenous cultures and languages and they are filled with a bunch of vague platitudes.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I posted that to know everyone's opinions
Mine is that Nuño doesn't know what he's talking about
It is nearly impossible to accomplish that task in twenty years in Mexico
They just want to make up great news, even if they are false

·
Registered
281 Posts
Couldn't agree more with you.

When it comes to grandiose educational policy, Nuño might say a lot of pretty words, but so many functionaries, not to mention the SNTE, busy themselves with looting the treasury.

How long has he been in office and what is his background? I thought he was appointed only a year or so ago, but don't really remember.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.