Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read this article this morning: australia-rejects-20000-migrants

highlight from the article:
All general skilled migration applications lodged before September 1, 2007 - when English and work experience requirements were easier - will have their applications withdrawn and application fees totalling $14 million refunded.

The government will also abolish the current list of skills in demand, which contains 106 occupations, and review the points test used to assess migrants to improve selection.

The Immigration Minister, Chris Evans, said last year 170,000 people applied to live and work permanently in Australia as skilled migrants, but there were just 108,100 place available.

I recommend reading the whole article.

Opinions anyone?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Is there not some speculation about a snap general election in Oz? Could just be the Labour government trying to cut off the Liberal's favoured ground - might be more spin than substance. On the other hand, with world economics still shaky, control on immigrants is not unusual (although, ironically, I think it's usually counter productive economically).

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
There is talk about a double-dissolution Federal election. However Immigration policy is not the trigger for this.

Climate change policy (specifically the Emissions Trading Scheme) is the main trigger based on the continuation of a block by the Liberal party.

The Immigration changes will go through, main factors responsible is the labour (actual labour not political labour) projections in the medium-long term.

Is there not some speculation about a snap general election in Oz? Could just be the Labour government trying to cut off the Liberal's favoured ground - might be more spin than substance. On the other hand, with world economics still shaky, control on immigrants is not unusual (although, ironically, I think it's usually counter productive economically).

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Even though the money will be refunded that doesn't take into account the fact that people put their lives on hold while applying for visas.

That some people may have quit jobs, sold houses etc.

It amazes me that they can decide to do that without looking at individual cases but I'm assuming that they feel that they don't have the time to do that.

By the way the info on Veronika's website it slightly different in that the number of cases will be capped which is different from what is reported there.

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for info.

Does it affect the people who already got PRs?

Thanks,

Read this article this morning: australia-rejects-20000-migrants

highlight from the article:
All general skilled migration applications lodged before September 1, 2007 - when English and work experience requirements were easier - will have their applications withdrawn and application fees totalling $14 million refunded.

The government will also abolish the current list of skills in demand, which contains 106 occupations, and review the points test used to assess migrants to improve selection.

The Immigration Minister, Chris Evans, said last year 170,000 people applied to live and work permanently in Australia as skilled migrants, but there were just 108,100 place available.

I recommend reading the whole article.

Opinions anyone?

·
Registered
315 Posts
This is pretty radical. When's the last time they cancelled applications in batch? One can say this is a populist act.

I read that a dissolution may not happen soon. The opposition seems to be riding high as predicted by some in the press. There's still over a year before the current session of parliament expires.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
hmmm.. i guess the minister knows, if they dont pay back, no one would want to come to australia. was speaking to OH about the same thing, Au immigration fee is the highest and they r returning it but hwat about the time gone into it. for us its already been 2 years since our assessment and a year half since our application. I am loosing hope really, since i read about the capping of pre sept 2007 apps. i am sept 2008 applicant.
It was a thought that came on mind that we should look for options, maybe the freezing canada.. will decide in april if australia is worth our time

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
There's the NZ option too, I don't think the waiting is as bad. Without priority I'm think it still takes 2-3 yrs minimum to get an AU PR.

hmmm.. i guess the minister knows, if they dont pay back, no one would want to come to australia. was speaking to OH about the same thing, Au immigration fee is the highest and they r returning it but hwat about the time gone into it. for us its already been 2 years since our assessment and a year half since our application. I am loosing hope really, since i read about the capping of pre sept 2007 apps. i am sept 2008 applicant.
It was a thought that came on mind that we should look for options, maybe the freezing canada.. will decide in april if australia is worth our time

·
Registered
881 Posts
Without priority processing the waiting for AU visa is worthless, as u say it may take 2-3 years........ who knows after this time the applicants may be sacked again, here DIAC changes their norms before every 6 months. :mad:

Hope the new SOL is justified, managers,medical practitioners,Trade-persons n IT guys all cover under 1 roof and no complicated filters applied. Visa distribution be also fast track (<6 monhs) as they have reduced the 20,000 overloaded applications.

:rolleyes:

There's the NZ option too, I don't think the waiting is as bad. Without priority I'm think it still takes 2-3 yrs minimum to get an AU PR.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Please guide

Hello Anj,
I was also about to lodge my 175 visa app this week but due to this MODL change I now left with 115 points. So thinking for another option.
I came to know that you got ACT Sponsorship. I am an IT Professional (.NET) and have ielts L:6, R:6, W:6.5, S:7 (overall 6.5). Also has ACS Approval letter.

Please give me details about ACT. do they charge any fee? Also how much they took in your case and what time period I should assume for myself If i will go with that.

By the way I already applied for VIC SS 20 days ago but have seen people comments that positive outcome is very rare :(

Please advice,

Thanks..

·
Registered
881 Posts
Hello Umair,
As u know in CSL sheet at the bottom it was mentioned that 'Computing Professionals(nec) having specialization and MODL are only categorized in CSL'

So as per new announcement, the MODL is dead, so my question is Are Computing professionals still included in the CSL slot???? :confused:

If it's still included you will get Priority 4 even if u do not have sponsorship and that too if u apply before new SOL is released....................pls correct me if m wrong.

Hello Anj,
I was also about to lodge my 175 visa app this week but due to this MODL change I now left with 115 points. So thinking for another option.
I came to know that you got ACT Sponsorship. I am an IT Professional (.NET) and have ielts L:6, R:6, W:6.5, S:7 (overall 6.5). Also has ACS Approval letter.

Please give me details about ACT. do they charge any fee? Also how much they took in your case and what time period I should assume for myself If i will go with that.

By the way I already applied for VIC SS 20 days ago but have seen people comments that positive outcome is very rare :(

Please advice,

Thanks..

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hello Umair,
As u know in CSL sheet at the bottom it was mentioned that 'Computing Professionals(nec) having specialization and MODL are only categorized in CSL'

So as per new announcement, the MODL is dead, so my question is Are Computing professionals still included in the CSL slot???? :confused:

If it's still included you will get Priority 4 even if u do not have sponsorship and that too if u apply before new SOL is released....................pls correct me if m wrong.
You are right mate.
But the problem is after MODL changes I do left with 115 points and I do require 120 points for lodgement :(

Tatswhy now thinking for an alternate.

Thanks...

·
Registered
881 Posts
U can get much required 5 points from ur wife's skill assessment or u can give another shot of IELTS.

BTW, are Computing professionals still on CSL?????????
If yes then I shld hurry up for ACS skill assessment.............pls revert back if u know.

You are right mate.
But the problem is after MODL changes I do left with 115 points and I do require 120 points for lodgement :(

Tatswhy now thinking for an alternate.

Thanks...

·
Registered
46 Posts
U can get much required 5 points from ur wife's skill assessment or u can give another shot of IELTS.

BTW, are Computing professionals still on CSL?????????
If yes then I shld hurry up for ACS skill assessment.............pls revert back if u know.
all MODL Computing professionals are still on CSL.
I dont have wife I am single :) )

For the ielts I need 7 in each, I tried two times but didnot get that score :((

·
Registered
881 Posts
I have to reach passmark of 100 only (which currently I hav) but ACS is not giving MODL for new applications :( so I cannot apply

State sponsorship is very difficult to earn n u also have to show them enough funds, better u sit for IELTS for final time n score overall 7....

all MODL Computing professionals are still on CSL.
I dont have wife I am single :) )

For the ielts I need 7 in each, I tried two times but didnot get that score :((

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I have to reach passmark of 100 only (which currently I hav) but ACS is not giving MODL for new applications :( so I cannot apply

State sponsorship is very difficult to earn n u also have to show them enough funds, better u sit for IELTS for final time n score overall 7....

POINT SYSTEM IS GOING to change tooooooo... hold your breath and try go get good IELTS score for now... let things settle down...

·
Registered
881 Posts
I have already appeared for IELTS
May be the new SOL will have lower points and thus difficulty may arise. :(

POINT SYSTEM IS GOING to change tooooooo... hold your breath and try go get good IELTS score for now... let things settle down...

·
Registered
619 Posts
Hello Anj,

Please advice,

Thanks..
The biggest hurdle to ACT SS is that they require you show proof of having $30,000 in a bank account in your name, for at least the past 3 months. They do charge a fee for applying. You can find out more info here:

Business and Industry Development - ACT Government Sponsorship Opportunities

The fact that you have also applied for VIC SS may work against you, as they like to see that you are committed Canberra, and not considering moving to another state.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The biggest hurdle to ACT SS is that they require you show proof of having $30,000 in a bank account in your name, for at least the past 3 months. They do charge a fee for applying. You can find out more info here:

Business and Industry Development - ACT Government Sponsorship Opportunities

The fact that you have also applied for VIC SS may work against you, as they like to see that you are committed Canberra, and not considering moving to another state.
Hi,
The problem is we need to get 7 bands in EACH (ielts). For VIC SS i have seen ppls comment that it is very rare to get +ve replies :(

That is why in trouble :(

1 - 20 of 22 Posts