Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my daughter had 2 jobs does she file a 1040/2555 for each job?
she also lived in two different places does she have to list them both.
She has to do back taxes as she never filed,didn't know she had to_Only worked in holland.

Thanks

Bernie

·
Registered
273 Posts
When I filed my back returns, I used the 1116 Foreign Tax Credit when I had multiple sources of income.

Other years when I only had one source of earned income then I used the 2555.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info.I can't get through the instruction for the 1116.Is there a good site which in simple english tells me how to do it.

Thanks for the help.

Bernie

When I filed my back returns, I used the 1116 Foreign Tax Credit when I had multiple sources of income.

Other years when I only had one source of earned income then I used the 2555.

·
Administrator
49,390 Posts
She only files one 1040 and one 2555. Just add the salaries from the two jobs together and report on a single form. If both jobs were outside the US and she qualifies for the FEIE, she can take it against the combined total of her earned income from outside the US.

In the part where it asks what country you live in, include both. Include both employers and their addresses in the part that asks that information.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. So she has to list both Netherland and USA.I will let her know

Thanks

Bernie

She only files one 1040 and one 2555. Just add the salaries from the two jobs together and report on a single form. If both jobs were outside the US and she qualifies for the FEIE, she can take it against the combined total of her earned income from outside the US.

In the part where it asks what country you live in, include both. Include both employers and their addresses in the part that asks that information.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Administrator
49,390 Posts
Just a note - obviously, she can't claim the FEIE for income earned while living in the US. The income she made while in the Netherlands is only eligible for FEIE if she meets the requirements (i.e. bona fide residence or physical presence test). Otherwise, it's just a plain old vanilla 1040 with whatever supporting schedules she needs.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No eveything was here in the Netherlands.She only spent a tear in the states.

Thanks

Bernie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts