Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was interviewed by Company A and we touched on salary requirements in the interview (I suppose one could argue I verbally agreed the salary in the interview). However, Company A couldn't decide and offered me a paid trial period in order to help them decide if I was suitable and make me a formal offer (this implies to me that neither party had agreed to anything, pending the completion of the trial period)

In the meantime, Company B made me a formal offer which is AED10k per month more (in value terms).

I have now successfully completed my trial with Company A and they have said they will give me a formal offer and are just about to start the process of seeking approvals for the salary we had discussed in the interview.

My questions are:

1. Can I negotiate the salary with Company A despite my (arguable) verbal agreement to salary at interview?
2. When would be the best time to enter into negotiations with Company A, i.e. before they are making approvals to make the formal offer or should I wait for the final offer (which may be considered by them that I am timewasting and annoy them).
3. Should I just be honest (esp. since I now have formed a good relationship with Company A) and say I have an offer from Company B and ask if they can match or better it?
 

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
Joined
·
7,075 Posts
Hi,
How have you been working for Company A - whilst on the trial period?
Were you on a visit visa, mission visa or have they already got you a work visa?
Answer to the above affects how you would proceed.
Cheers
Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,
How have you been working for Company A - whilst on the trial period?
Were you on a visit visa, mission visa or have they already got you a work visa?
Answer to the above affects how you would proceed.
Cheers
Steve

I am on a visit visa - it is government, so was a unique arrangement.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,
Have they already arranged your security clearance?
When did they expect you to start the full time work?
Cheers
Steve
No, nothing has been arranged. Everything has been verbal so far. At interview, it was discussed that I could start in 2-3 weeks from the completion of the trial.
 

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
Joined
·
7,075 Posts
No, nothing has been arranged. Everything has been verbal so far. At interview, it was discussed that I could start in 2-3 weeks from the completion of the trial.
Hi,
Right - so a little clearer!
Security clearance is essential for government roles in Abu Dhabi and it takes a varying amount of time - but rarely less than 4 weeks.
Being Ramadan - it could of course take longer.
Are they going to put you up and pay you money between now and getting clearance?
Is Company B also Abu Dhabi based and government - in other words, does that also need security clearance or could you actually start work tomorrow?
The answer to the above few questions should help you to decide.
You always have the option of telling Company A that the trial was two way and now that you have seen the role - you believe you are worth x more per month.
If they agree with you and are prepared to up their offer - go with them.
If not, use Company B as your Plan B!
Best of luck
Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi,
Right - so a little clearer!
Security clearance is essential for government roles in Abu Dhabi and it takes a varying amount of time - but rarely less than 4 weeks.
Being Ramadan - it could of course take longer.
Are they going to put you up and pay you money between now and getting clearance?
Is Company B also Abu Dhabi based and government - in other words, does that also need security clearance or could you actually start work tomorrow?
The answer to the above few questions should help you to decide.
You always have the option of telling Company A that the trial was two way and now that you have seen the role - you believe you are worth x more per month.
If they agree with you and are prepared to up their offer - go with them.
If not, use Company B as your Plan B!
Best of luck
Steve


Thanks, yes they are very similar. The only difference is the value of the offer (in monetary terms). Contractually, I am not bound to either, but ethically, it could be said that I have agreed the offer (verbally at interview) from Company A.

I am just now questioning strategically when is the best time to raise the negotiation with Company A?

Before they make the formal offer or before they get the HR approvals on the verbal offer ( I only know that they are seeking the approvals because of being on trial)?
 

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
Joined
·
7,075 Posts
Thanks, yes they are very similar. The only difference is the value of the offer (in monetary terms). Contractually, I am not bound to either, but ethically, it could be said that I have agreed the offer (verbally at interview) from Company A.

I am just now questioning strategically when is the best time to raise the negotiation with Company A?

Before they make the formal offer or before they get the HR approvals on the verbal offer ( I only know that they are seeking the approvals because of being on trial)?
Hi,
You need to talk to them about your salary concerns immediately.
That way, they don't need to get two sets of approvals - one set for what they originally offered and one set for the figure you are asking for - as they might only be able to get one set approved.
Up to you whether you let them know of other offer. If it were me, I would let them know that I have other options in other countries. I would not tell them that I had another offer in UAE - because I would not want them to play the " if we can't have them, no company can have them" game and put a black mark against your name. That black mark might then prevent you getting clearance for Company B.
You just don't know what influence Company A holds - Abu Dhabi is a small town!
Best of luck
Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi,
You need to talk to them about your salary concerns immediately.
That way, they don't need to get two sets of approvals - one set for what they originally offered and one set for the figure you are asking for - as they might only be able to get one set approved.
Up to you whether you let them know of other offer. If it were me, I would let them know that I have other options in other countries. I would not tell them that I had another offer in UAE - because I would not want them to play the " if we can't have them, no company can have them" game and put a black mark against your name. That black mark might then prevent you getting clearance for Company B.
You just don't know what influence Company A holds - Abu Dhabi is a small town!
Best of luck
Steve
Thanks Steve, good point, didn't think of that and can imagine they could/ would do that here easily!
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top