Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Me an my friend have both been offered a job out in dubai and will be moving in the next 6 weeks or so, can anyone recommend where would be best for us to live, we have heard that the marina is a good place but we wanted to ask if anyone else had any other thoughts, we would like a nice place 2 bed but not massivly expensive or flash.

also a few other things....:D

is it best to rent a car or buy once your there?
is it best to open a bank account over here with HSBC or wait until you get over there?
can you get sky televishion or some sort of package so we can watch soaps:p

i have loads of other questions but if i carry on ill have enough to fill a book.....

PLease help xx

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Marina is popular with singles and close to the beach, or Downtown Burj Kahalifa where there are plenty of bars and clubs.
Open a bank account when you get here - it is quick and easy.
Rent a car till you get your res visa then buy.
You can get all the UK soaps with DU package (unfortunately)- they are a week or 2 behind.

Reactions: Southak

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
we are working for a fashion company out there, when i look on the map the office is close to the marina, iv been researching for over 2 weeks on all kinds but still feel like there is loads i dont know :(

So we have accomadation for a month then we are on our own, im hoping we can arrange an apartment just before, opening an account when we get there sounds easy, and renting a car should be ok...how long have u been out there?

we are both late 20's so hoping we will meet lots of people out there, is there any advice you can give us or anything you think will be useful?

Thanks xx

·
Registered
19 Posts
fashionexpat said:
we are working for a fashion company out there, when i look on the map the office is close to the marina, iv been researching for over 2 weeks on all kinds but still feel like there is loads i dont know :(

So we have accomadation for a month then we are on our own, im hoping we can arrange an apartment just before, opening an account when we get there sounds easy, and renting a car should be ok...how long have u been out there?

we are both late 20's so hoping we will meet lots of people out there, is there any advice you can give us or anything you think will be useful?

Thanks xx
What is your housing budget? You have to get your residence visa before opening a bank account. The agents are pretty useless IMHO so best you start looking on the property websites.

Oh and you WILL meet loads of people.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
You do not need to have a res visa to open a bank account. EmiratesNBD Bank have a branch at Marina Mall - you will need to show your passport and you can open a basic acc (with debit card) immediately. They will ask for a PO Box number - you can use your employers. As soon as you get your residency visa you can upgrade the account for a cheque book. Res visa will take 1-2 weeks depending on the efficiency of your employer, and it will then take up to 10 days to get a cheque book. You will need a cheque book to pay your post dated cheques when you find an apartment. Check out Jumerah Lake Towers as you will get more for your money than The Marina. The JLT Towers next to the 2 Metro stations are good as you can use the Metro footbridges to walk over to The Marina. Is your office close to a Metro station? If so you could manage without a car. Taxis are very cheap here.

·
Registered
374 Posts
2 English girls moving to Dubai - best place to live aaahhhhh HELP
Is it so wrong that the first answer that popped into my mind was:

My place, obviously.

Hi,
It depends how long you intend to stay. For a year, there is no point in going through all the hassle of buying a car and then selling it in 10 months.
If you are here for long, I'd still recommend renting one for a couple of month so you can get a real feel for what driving is like around here. You may very well change your initial intuition for a very different car.

is it best to open a bank account over here with HSBC or wait until you get over there?
It is best to wait until you get here and choose any bank but HSBC.
Worst bank ever in Dubai (and remember, I am french, I have dealt with some very bad banks...)

i have loads of other questions but if i carry on ill have enough to fill a book.....
Good, when you get here, we can partner up, work through the whole list, and publish a book that answers all those questions for the next people to come around. I'm sure there is money to be made :eyebrows:

Love you to sweety http://lobo.marunga.free.fr/MINI-ICONES/TEX_AVERY/****is01.gif

·
Registered
76 Posts
Definitely go for the marina, I am here in a temporary place but hopefully I'll get a permanent house sorted here as I love the marina!

I'm from blackpool, 28 and I've been here 2 months. You will be fine when you get here, most you can't sort until you get your visa. The most important thing is patience. You need a lot of that here.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Love to visit the Marina but would never live there.... Much prefer downtown Dubai, but that's me. Come, spend a month in your accommodation, visit the areas of choice, and make an informed decision...

·
Registered
565 Posts
Is it so wrong that the first answer that popped into my mind was:

My place, obviously.

Good, when you get here, we can partner up, work through the whole list, and publish a book that answers all those questions for the next people to come around. I'm sure there is money to be made :eyebrows:

Love you to sweety http://lobo.marunga.free.fr/MINI-ICONES/TEX_AVERY/****is01.gif
Just a word of advice... if you are going to be a "cyber player" you may want to have a more "badazz" masculine type handle instead of something that looks like 14 year old girl named "Lisa" who thinks she "Rulez" wrote.

Second, your Avatar is of one of the creepiest guys on a TV Series aside from Hannibal himself!!

On a positive note, you had all the right lines in your quotes though! and frankly you beat me to them... :clap2:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Register with uknova to download all the uk soaps legally, its free and 100% legal unlike piratebay etc. they upload all the latest shows for expats to watch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Info

Hi,

If you try in IMPZ, Jebel Ali you can get one studio plat arround AED 20,000. advantage you will be able to pay monthly. If it is one payment even you can manage to reduce rent more
place having swimming pool, Gym, Sauna, Steam bath, BBQ area, Table tennis etc and all free
I am liwing in that are arround 4 years and it is ok
Disadvantage of that place is you must need your vehicle in order to save money. Taxis are available but will be expensive. nearest Metro station IBN Batuta mall

Regarding vehicle, you can buy second hand vehicle for less price or else after 3 salaries you can get new vehicle under bank loan.
just to give some idea Mitsubishi lancer if you go for car loan monthly payment will be arround 600 AED
Same car if you rent from Thrifty monthly arround 1575 AED under 1 to 2 year contract, you dont have to spend for insuarance or maintaince in this case
For TV, you can get package from Etisalat or Du depend on area that you will get house
Hope this will help you

Thanks
Niranga

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you so much for everyones replies, has help alot!!

Were really excited at the though of moving over, does anyone have any links to apartments that have been mentioned above? what is the marina? whats there, just buildings?? sorry if i sound dumb but we havent even been before so need help haha.

anyone have any good advice or things we should do before we come, are visas are being sorted out by out recruiter so just general things that might make our move run a little smoother?

xx

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Definitely go for the marina, I am here in a temporary place but hopefully I'll get a permanent house sorted here as I love the marina!

I'm from blackpool, 28 and I've been here 2 months. You will be fine when you get here, most you can't sort until you get your visa. The most important thing is patience. You need a lot of that here.
Ok an important question is, will my hairdryer and hair straigteners work out there or should i invest in a suitcase full of hats??? or a razor??xx

·
Registered
352 Posts
Ok an important question is, will my hairdryer and hair straigteners work out there or should i invest in a suitcase full of hats??? or a razor??xx
Yes they will - 3 pin plugs are the same as the UK.

From an accommodation stance, I would book a serviced apartment for the 1st Month. This then gives you time to visit all areas & decide where you want to live. There are many places in the Al Barsha area that sits you in the middle of most places.

- Marina is nice, but not my cup of tea....same goes for JBR
- The Palm is worth a look - I used to live in Marina Residence & thought it was nice
- JLT is opposite to the Marina & is cheaper option to the Marina

All in all - You need to look at what your budget is, this will then dictate which areas to look at.

If you are looking at staying long term, buying a car is the way forward.

The following link will assist you in buying most things, including renting an apartment, etc

Dubizzle.com in Dubai | The best place to Buy a Property, Sell a Car, Find a Job & Much More in Dubai

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
You are going to get some mixes answers depending on the experience of some expats.

If you are going to stay more than a year then the idea of getting a car can be worked out. I know some people who prefer to rent rather than own which you can do too. Bear in mind though, if you rent, to have the insurance fully covered. If you decide to buy, grab a car with reputation that you can resell easily

I would pay a visit to HSBC branch or any other bank in the UK that operates both in UK and the UAE. You gotta think about the services that will satisfy your needs from both locations.

I have to disagree with Lita. All Banks have poor customer services across the board. I would rank them LAST to NONE. :p

I have accounts with HSBC. I barely go to the branch as I can get everything sorted using internet banking.

can you get sky televishion or some sort of package so we can watch soaps

cannot help you on that one, not into soaps at all

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Hi ;-) i think the best place is JLT district) i live here and it's really cool. Come on )))))))))
For places to live, well come first here and then do your "hunting"since you've got a month of covered expenses, you will soon realize where to live. Rent a car really, it will help you immensely. FAST UAE back a year ago had one of the best deals for car rentals.

·
Registered
117 Posts
what is the marina? whats there, just buildings?? sorry if i sound dumb but we havent even been before so need help haha.
You can google Dubai Marina and get lots of information. It's an assortment of towers, some falling apart, some VERY well kept and manicured. Tons of expats live, work, dine, and party there. Some never leave the marina area for it's many conveniences and also due to the gridlock traffic that is sometimes an issue. You can walk over to Basrati beach or any of the beach cafe's or party, eat, jog, stroll, go for a dip in the gulf, or get some sun on the sand. There are fitness centers, supermarkets, some good food options, though a bit pricier than other spots around Dubai. You can go days only seeing euro expats except for the filipina girls they sometimes hook up with. You can consider this an plus or minus depending on your lifestyle and preference. Some people prefer to mix it up with other nationalities in downtown, Bur Dubai or Diera, and live outside the bubble that is the Marina. It's a work in progress and the real estate bubble left much unfinished as much of Dubai. The construction adds to the congestion, but overall a fine place to live whether a family or single.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.